The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Wetsuit Questions

Hey Guys,

Went for a surf today and hate to admit it but I was cold! My wetsuit is a 5+ year old Billabong Solution Gold 3/2 steamer (it was pretty high end when I got it)

It still fits like a glove and the only real signs of wear are around the neck, ankles and wrists but the wind was just cutting through me. As I get older I seem to be feeling the cold more in general so I’m not sure if this is a case of the wetsuit being on it’s way out of me just feeling it more.

So this leads me to my question. Am I likely to feel a substantial increase in warmth (mainly wind not water) by purchasing a new suit? I’ve been eyeing off something like this http://www.quiksilver.com.au/mens-cypher-fuseflex-3-5-3-2mm-steamer-wetsuit?default=73463

Would moving to a 4/3 be completely crazy for Sydney waters?

Finally has anyone ever converted an old steamer into a springy? Is it simply a case of cutting it at the knees/elbows? I’m guessing I might need to terminate the seal where it’s cut?

A High End 3/2 is more than enough for our area!!!!!

Even todays 2/2’s are warmer than that of a few years ago, due to tech!!!!!

And buyin a new wettie, my advice is to get the one that fits ya the best!!!!! Any “air pockets” that are there when ya tryin it on, will fill with cold water and therefore suck body heat away from you!!!!!

And, yeah there’s no reason that ya can’t turn a Steamer into a Springy, but it might be worth seeking out an industrial sewin machinist to put a flexible stitch around the cut ends!!!!!

Hope this helps?????

Mizu Kuma - 22 July 2013 06:11 PM

Hope this helps?????

Yeah mate sure does, cheers!

I knew the tech had been evolving pretty quickly when I got the Billabong I just wasn’t sure if the same progress was still being made vs an already pretty decent suit. It’s great to hear it has though I’d hate to buy another 3/2 and find out it’s the same as my current one. I don’t seem to have any troubles with water temps at all it’s just the breeze (the walk back home sucked).

I’ve noticed some guys with suits that look like they have exterior rubber panels on the torso (mine has the usual one on the front but nothing special on the back) which I’m guessing are a form of wind resistance.

I did the painful wetsuit fitting last time (in summer!  teacherboy ) the fit of the Billabong has always been fantastic and still fits well (ankles/wrists just have a bit more movement in them now)

Ok sweet I don’t know how often I’d use a springy but if I get a new suit, why not?!

Dave I got a West long arm steamer in 2/2 fully sealed, I have yet to even entertain the idea of wearing my full 3/2 sealed suit, the only reason I might is if I surf twice in a day and I want to get into a dry wetsuit rather than a wet one ha ha!

EDIT: Sorry mate it’s actually a short arm steamer.  This is the exact model.

http://westsurfing.com/wetsuit/edge-ss-steamer-chest-zip/

NBG - 23 July 2013 08:21 PM

Dave I got a West long arm steamer in 2/2 fully sealed, I have yet to even entertain the idea of wearing my full 3/2 sealed suit, the only reason I might is if I surf twice in a day and I want to get into a dry wetsuit rather than a wet one ha ha!

Nice! I’ve always been really good with the cold usually swimming in boardies (or speedos!) when others weren’t going in the water. However I’ve really been feeling it the past couple of days. Yesterday I experimented with a 1.5mm wetsuit jacket under my steamer. It might have helped a little but it sure wasn’t comfy.

Never fear a new wetsuit is on it’s way (which kind of commits me to giving this learn to surf stuff a proper shot again)

DRC… Ill agree with the rest of the boys on here and say its all about fit fit fit.. Theres nothing worse than an ill fitting wettie. It’ll cause chaffing, discomfort and you’ll end up with gallons of water inside the thing.

Ive had a fair few steamers over the years, (growing up in the southern cold waters of tassie you need them). Ive always gone with good old ripcurl as a go to brand my last elasto 3/2 lasted me well over 6 years. They’re a good all round fit and ripcurl do a darn good job at keeping you warm AND flexible at the same time….

However ive just slipped into an Oneill wetsuit. My first Oneill wettie was when i was 14 i think?? Haha! Anyway ive got myself into an oneill super freak… http://shopau.oneill.com/mens/wetsuits/superfrreak-fz.html

Loving it so far, chest zip, sealed on the inside, flexible and a good fit!

Good luck in ya choice!  shaka