The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Cant lift back foot while olling

Sorry im sure your all fed up with answering these questions on olling but i just cant get it. been trying for a while now and can slide and pop ok but i can never seem to lift my back foot up enough to get any heaight above like 10cm. i often try to pull my foot back up too early but then dont even pop. Is there a technique to this or should i just continoue practicing like ive been doing the last couple of monthes.  PS ive watched the trick tip video.  thanks in advance for anyone who answers smile

Rileyb1 - 23 March 2013 07:18 AM

Sorry im sure your all fed up with answering these questions on olling but i just cant get it. been trying for a while now and can slide and pop ok but i can never seem to lift my back foot up enough to get any heaight above like 10cm. i often try to pull my foot back up too early but then dont even pop. Is there a technique to this or should i just continoue practicing like ive been doing the last couple of monthes.  PS ive watched the trick tip video.  thanks in advance for anyone who answers smile

It sounds like your not centering over the board and you might be leaning back to far. Are you trying it rolling? When your front foot lifts and pushes forward to elevate your board naturally your back foot will lift to take the board with it. If left behind your will lose your board infront of you and your back foot will come off. Try it out on carpet to make sure your getting the lift and snap your back foot in to the ollie its where you will get the power and your front foot is like a guide to lift and level the ollie. Make sure you land bolts every time on the carpet. Sounds like your ollies are more like ’ / ’ than ’ - ‘

Yes im trying it rolling and thats basically whats happening my front foot slides up then the board hits my back foot and the board will either fly foward or just stop and ill land on it. i will try on the carpet again and see if i can get it thanks for the help.

Rileyb1 - 24 March 2013 12:32 AM

Yes im trying it rolling and thats basically whats happening my front foot slides up then the board hits my back foot and the board will either fly foward or just stop and ill land on it. i will try on the carpet again and see if i can get it thanks for the help.

Yeah also helps to position straight over the board with your shoulders. Your back foot should really only be going straight up from the board and land back on the bolts. You could break your crotch if it slides off while going quickly.

will definatly work on it because thats the last thing i want to do while skating. thanks for all the help

Rileyb1 - 24 March 2013 02:16 AM

will definatly work on it because thats the last thing i want to do while skating. thanks for all the help

Your welcome skate on \m/

Ok tryed while not moving again while holding onto a fence so i didnt move and was getting them ok then went to try them moving and just couldnt get any height. And is it normall for sides of feet and lower calves to hurt after olling. mind you i was trying for about 20 mins non stop untill it got windy but is this because of incorrect foot positioning like being on the balls of my feet when i should not or is this normal.  just want to get this so i can have fun working towards other tricks.

Rileyb1 - 27 March 2013 03:19 AM

Ok tryed while not moving again while holding onto a fence so i didnt move and was getting them ok then went to try them moving and just couldnt get any height. And is it normall for sides of feet and lower calves to hurt after olling. mind you i was trying for about 20 mins non stop untill it got windy but is this because of incorrect foot positioning like being on the balls of my feet when i should not or is this normal.  just want to get this so i can have fun working towards other tricks.

dont stress or worry this trick will take long to learn.
i can tell from your questions your new to skateboarding things take time…
you need to build comfort level and board control before the ollie.

practice practice on grass holding fence and just try very small ones everything will progress naturally.
skateboarding is hard and takes time.

good luck

Thank you all for the help and ill just keep trying untill i can get it.

Thanks guys for the help have got a much better ollie now.

Haven’t had much chance to skate forthe last two or three weeks but ive been working on some other tricks and have run into some problems.

I have been trying to pop shuv it but i’m having trouble.I can get the rotation but it always land in front of me and i rarely land them. Same problem with my heelflips i’m getting the flip okay but the board always lands behind me.

Are these problems any one else has overcome, if so how?

Thanks for any help.