The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

april may 2013

Well aprils long gone may nearly over and I always get amped for this time of year as it always delivers the goods especially may but this year has been CRAP!! On the sunny coast anyway. Really disappointed.
How has it been where u are?

On and off but when it’s been on it’s been sick!  Had some awesome surfs at a few breaks around home lately, couple of reefs that I love have been firing more often than not lately so I’ve been a like a pig in shit enjoying myself!

Where u at? Sunny coast is always fickle but may is always at least 2 weeks of ckean waves with a coupla secret spots showing for the first time in many moons

Northern beaches of Sydney mate, Newport to be precise.  I love this time of year, it’s almost always offshore even when it’s small and more often than not there is some waves around as well.  The only down thing is that it’s mostly south swell which is fine when it’s 4-6ft but 2-4ft can be a bit funky on the banks.  When it gets a little better it lights up the points and reefs around and makes it more interesting and less dependent upon good sandbanks.

This is the sort of thing that starts to turn on when the swell gets above 4ft.

Just as I complain in comes the swell. Starting to pump but its my weekend with my boy and grans os. My life.
I dunno how old u are but do u know Daff? Stuart Cadden.Last I heard he lives at Forster way but a born and bred newport boy.
We both spent bucket loads of time on Siargao in philippines but he spent more in hospital haha. Talk about accident prone.

Yeah I know him, not very well but I do know him.  Years ago I was out in Foster and ended up at the ant ranch and I stumbled into a bucks party, turns out I’m pretty sure that it was Caddens, Neil Wheeler was there as well and my mate and I ended up getting spastic with those guys after they worked out we were all from Newport.

He was marrying some Filo chick from memory and we got to talking about the waves over there, mates of mine had paid what I thought at the time was mega bucks to go surf cloud nine and got nothing, Cdden was telling me there’s heaps of other waves in that general area around Cebu.

Yeah u can get skunked there for sure. Daff married a chic had kids had a hoise then got over it. Too hypo for a mellow joint where u gotta wait. Hes a pretty loose unit funny as. Haha.
Heaps of waves but nothing near cebu. Possibly more setups than anywhere but u need typhoons. We used to spend 6 months or so there and we found a lot of as then new setups. Exciting times

You guys slipped this thread in without me noticing.

There’s been plenty of good waves over the last 6 weeks - not consistant swell like normal for this time of year but when there was it was good conditions. I surf the Leisure Coast of the Illawarra (Wollongong).

Yesterday was epic. 12s period, sunny, offshore all day with +4’ waves. Unfortunately I finished work at 3:30am and was on the school market bbq from 8am, then had to take Daughter to dance exam, so didn’t get wet!

Tomorrow the swell is meant to peak, car’s packed ready for an early.
It sucks living 50min from the coast.

what direction is the swell? I could definitely do with a surf right about now!

South. Good south, Headies and Menzies were looking the goods yesterday.

You know how bottom contours change the direction here. It was ideal.
Hope tomorrow is still the same. Sand banks aren’t perfect on the beachies but they are still ok.

how is austi pools looking then I wonder? don’t care too much for big south swells in that area myself. No waves I get amped to surf. Other waves in other areas I know get good in sth swells though.

Big south swells here can be very average, probably prefers 6ft or a touch bigger to allow a fair few places to work, bigger than that and its starts to narrow the options a fair bit.

With the long swell period it was very different looking. Didn’t have a good look at Austi Pool - not a fan unless it’s as good as it can be, then it’s as good as most waves in oz (including Kirra)