The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Sydney West, Parra and surrounding suburbs.

There doesn’t appear to be a section for the greater west of Sydney, so I’ve decided to start one. Please note I am a very amateur skater, that feels pro when I land an ollie haha, so take what I say as the musings of a complete n00b and I urge you let my pics do the talking instead. I also apolagize if I get some lingo wrong.

My local skate park is Parramatta. It is to be honest. Fucking dreadful. So crap that I have no pics of it, but I’ll endeavour to get some up sooner rather than later.

It’s got a massive bowl in it, that is no way aimed at beginners, the surface seems pretty rough and u lose speed quite quickly.
The “street part” consists of one side 5’ quarter pipes, the other banked roll ins. In the middle is a small fun box.
Towards the bowl side is a set of stairs, a rail and 3 ledges for grinds etc. unless u have ollies down pat and some confidence, all this is completely useless to a beginner like me and my mates.
The surface has a lot of glass and shit on it sometimes (I might bring down a broom and hide it in some bushes). There is only a pub near by (Albion hotel, nice beer garden for the west). No maccas, no service station, No bubbler, No over headlight for night time. Lots of shade tho.
In the afternoon, i think it’s an Afternoon daycare centre as it becomes a haven for kids and scooters.
So yeah, not the best, or rather I’m not good enough yet to even remotely enjoy it.
Harris Park train station is closest, there is also parking near by which is free on weekends.

Merrylands (Granville Park)
I’ve seen this a few times from Woodville road and decided to go visit it today on my day off.
Now this, is a park for beginners!! Here is some pics that hopefully do it justice.

Surface is good, everything is low meaning even skaters like me can attempt basic board slides and the like. 
It’s got 3 fast food outlets near by (maccas, KFC, hungry jacks). It’s a 5 min skate from merrylands station (you can actually skate all the way down the edge of the surrounding park to the area itself. Has an overhead light for night skating. Not much shade, and no public parking (but with maccas 100m away who cares).
No idea on what it’s like in the afternoons and who usually rides it. But I’m glad I made the effort to come here as I will defiently be coming back.

Cheers :D

(work in progress)

This is a great thread. Here’s my contribution, my local, Powell Skatepark:

In Miller, near Liverpool Catholic Club. It’s not too bad, can be a bit dirty at times though and it’s pretty small. As you can tell from the pictures, its main features are the ramps and the cheese blocks. There’s also a low rail(?) too that you can practise grinding on (in the second photo, if you can spot it).

I tend to go in the evening to avoid the usual scooter crowd. No lights so you won’t be able to skate at night. Food is 10 minute skate away. There’s a T-Way bus service nearby but it’s definitely not a park worth travelling too.