The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Difference between Japan and Tucknee

Can anyone care to explain to me the differences between these 2 tricks? They look similar to me.

Front hand & Back Hand wink

If you want a detailed explaination:

A Tuck Knee is like an Indy Grab but the arm doing the grabbing (trailing hand) goes from outside of the trailing knee to grab indy (instead of just between the knees like an indy). Then the board is tweaked behind the boarder with a drop knee like motion, similar to a surfer.

A Japan is a Mute Grab (Front hand, toe edge between the bindings) which is then tweaked behind the back.

I should say that this grab varies a bit for skaters and snowboarders.
- Sometimes skaters grab their front foot and the deck with their front hand to hold the deck to their feet in the air.
- Sometimes it’s just in the mute position near the front foot.
- Sometimes snowboarders will grab outside the front foot (next to it closer, to the nose) however this grab is also given different names. I think it’s sometimes called a Slob.
- Snowboarders also will just grab the front boot to do it. More common in the pipe, it’s a little easier than grabbing the board. Maybe not as many style points though.

Thanks for the clarification Andy :D

No probs smile