The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How to get into transition or vert skateboarding?

I would like to be able to skate at my local park that consists of only a halfpipe and a run in thing.
I dont know how to post pictures so here’s a link to a site with pics of it. The smaller parts are about 5” maybe 6”
and it goes to about 8”.  {edit: link removed}

I don’t intend to skate big ramps as i think it looks quite dangerous but if thats not the cas then i might start if i find anywhere good to go or if a friend is willing to if not ill only skate here. (maybe Epping which has a bowl and i go to riverslide sometimes can’t remember whats there though) 

What can i do to safely skate at my local park as i don’t want to go and end up hurt because a 5”+ drop to concrete is never good for you.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Hi Riley, Welcome to BoardWorld!

I took up skateboarding not so long ago and decided it would help my snowboarding the most to learn transition. So that’s what I do mostly.

1. Starting on big transition can be daunting. My best advice is, if possible, go to a park with the smallest quarter pipes you can find before you try dropping in. That way you can just jump off if you need to.

2. If that’s not an option, my next big advice is before you worry about dropping in or tricks or any of that. Just ride some banks. Get used to rolling up and back down fakie. And also rolling up them and kick turning frontside and backside on the banks. It’s easier than on a quarter pipe because it’s not a curved surface.

3. Once you can kick turn, try and kick turn up near the coping before trying to drop in. Never try and drop in on something you’re not comfortable riding first.
Also to work up to dropping in, I found you can drop in on small banks or tabletops first before trying a real quarter pipe, so you build up your confidence.

I’ve had to figure a lot of things out for myself since I mostly skate alone, and I’m sure you will too. The thing I do know for sure is building confidence in small steps is the key to learning anything in skateboarding.

Hey Riley
Just added the pics from the link and removed the link as it is a “rival” site smile

All the advice that Andy has given is spot on.
Whitllesea is a rad looking park. There is plenty of parks out your way, but a lot of them are more street orientated. If you can travel easily, try to get into St Kilda in Melbs because that park has the best transition in Victoria now. Maybe Aus. There is all sizes of quaters and banks and transition. Great place to learn. If not maybe head to Hurstbridge park. They have a new park which looks liek it has some smaller transition, but they also had a great mini ramp on the other side of the town. Just not sure if its still there since the new park has been built

Tahnks for putting the photo’s up for me i didn’t know how. i’ll con a firned or two into coming with me to learn should’nt be too hard. Traveling to melbourne is quite easy a bus or driven straight to the station and then the train straight there and maybe a tram to St Kilda.

Apart from a helmet which i won’t try a ramp without what other equipment do you recomend.

The video’s are also helpfull thanks rider.

If you are falling onto your hands lots, maybe some wrist guards. After a while you will get used of falling and rolling or bailing before stacking. Only really need knee pads on bigger ramps to bail and slide out of

Also for posting pics, upload them to a site like http://www.imageshack.us or www.photobucket.com and then copy the forum/image code into your post