The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The perils of a snowboarder trying to skate

Hi Guys.
since the snow season has been over I have been trying to keep my fitness up throughout the summer.
I thought about skateboarding as an alternative (as seen here https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3035/P30/ )
Im glad to say that I have been heading out to the skate park at least once a week now and I am really enjoying it. I look forward to the skate night now every week. I still suck at it but im slowly getting better. I thought I would start a progress thread so that I can get some tips and help progess my skills.

the last time I posted on the forum here I was standing at the top of a 4’ ramp looking down and shitting my pants.
I can now say that I have successfully dropped in without killing myself and while it still scares me every time its getting less scary.
I reckon about 99% of it is in my head! once i turned off the brain and just did it it was much easier.
getting over the fear is almost all of the battle! I guess its what makes it fun in a way.

I might post some videos later for a laugh.

hopefully I might bump into some of you at the skatepark!

Haha, your doing much better than me! I’m doing the same.. But im just getting to roll down my bfs street.. As soon and I get too much speed I feel out of control and panic.. (was the same on a snowboard.. But now I can keep up with our group and even over take a few..) guess I will get used to going faster and faster.. I think im more cautious on a skateboard cos gravel is much harder than snow.. Even ice.. ( as im in layers on the snow and usually just jeans or shorts and a t shirt on a board..)

i used to skate about 11-12 years ago.. Stacked it really bad and hadn’t been on one since.. But wanted an alternative to snowboarding in summer..

And post some videos up.. I have one in a thread some where of me stacking it hard on a snowboard ( I think its in my bindings thread in snow board equipt.)

smile

im hoping to do the opposite, I wanna get a snowboard and go to the closest ski hill (couple hours away), maybe get a season pass.

RockenPunk - 17 December 2012 01:29 AM

im hoping to do the opposite, I wanna get a snowboard and go to the closest ski hill (couple hours away), maybe get a season pass.

Do it!! You won’t regret it.. As soon as you get the hang of it… You will be addicted..

the *only* things I hate about snow boarding is that 1) its a 6-7 hour drive for me.
but I don’t mind the drive too much.. And 2) its seasonal.. I wish I could go year round!!

And I find im more confident to try tricks and stuff as the landing is fairly soft, I’ve had my fair share of bruises.. But nothing major.. Usually just laugh it off.. =)

LowGuido, good to hear that you progressing mate! Initially dropping in is always so intimidating! But once you master that mental barrier, you can really drop into anything. I still cant get mentally past dropping into big bowls. I have Ko’d myself before doing it and hitting a chalky at the bottom, so still have ghosts in my head about it.

I highly recommend just bombing around town, cruising at high speeds amongst pedestrians and traffic and being a general public menance hahaha LOL its super fun and improves your riding heaps

Yeah dropping in is such a mental mind screw. I had a really bad stack first time I tried to drop in. Went over the top of the board and feel straight to the flat on the old Bondi ramp. Cracks my ribs and completely bruised my wrist. Took a bit of time to get over that one.

Dropping in is just one of those that once you do it once it’s easy. I’m much like K2 I freak out about big drops but that are all the same no matter how big. Try it on some thing small so you can lean forward and run forward if you want to bail. Go forward, not back! Control the fall. Wax on , Wax off!

I guess I’m lucky in a way! I have never stacked while dropping in. even on my first go, but I had alot of help and advice from mates, people at the park, and you guys here.
I have a video of my dropping into the mini for the first time i just need to get it off the phone any onto youtube.

here are some videos of me dropping in to the mini for the first time.
try not to laugh too hard!

I want to be able to drop in and then rock to fakie

LOL just need to keep practicing I guess!

Hey, that’s not too bad. You did better than me when I first dropped in. I ate concrete like ten times until I managed to drop in.

Yeah I had heard all the horror stories, and i was pretty scared, but lucky for my we have youtube now. I watched a load of videos before I even tried.

hey guys its been a while since i have contributed anything to this thread.
last wednesday night, a few mates and I went to the skate park and had a bit of a skate. one of my mates had a go pro and filmed some of our mucking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRTNjYH78Q

im the one in the white T shirt and grey jeans by the way

OMG guys Im super stoked!!
I have been heading down to the belco skatepark every wednesday night practicing and last night was the best night so far!
It was my birthday last weekend, one mate got me a new deck and another got me new trucks.
I was super excited because its my first pro deck. I ordered some new wheels from MANTON (free plug) and they arrived yesterday just in time for wednesday skate night.

I must have been so pumped up from my new board that despite never doing any tricks on anything bigger than the little 2’ quarter, I managed to Drop in, rock to fakie, then tail stall and drop back in the mini in belco! im not sure how high it is? 4’?

anyway im super super stoked that i managed to not only pull off some tricks but even string them together.

never underestimate the power of a new board (even if it is all in my head)

rocker

LowGuido - 25 April 2013 08:42 AM

OMG guys Im super stoked!!
I have been heading down to the belco skatepark every wednesday night practicing and last night was the best night so far!
It was my birthday last weekend, one mate got me a new deck and another got me new trucks.
I was super excited because its my first pro deck. I ordered some new wheels from MANTON (free plug) and they arrived yesterday just in time for wednesday skate night.

I must have been so pumped up from my new board that despite never doing any tricks on anything bigger than the little 2’ quarter, I managed to Drop in, rock to fakie, then tail stall and drop back in the mini in belco! im not sure how high it is? 4’?

anyway im super super stoked that i managed to not only pull off some tricks but even string them together.

never underestimate the power of a new board (even if it is all in my head)

F*#K YEAH!

Doing good bro. You sound like you are at a similar level to me. It feel so good to finally be able to do some tricks.
I can axle stall on bigger quarters but haven’t got the nerve to try a rock to fakie on the bigger ones yet.
Wish I had a park like Belco near me. That thing looks sweet. Props dude, keep the progress rolling!

thats sick mate! I have never even tried an axle stall yet. I can 50-50 the coping, but ..
I dont know how to explain it, when I 50-50 its kinda still in the pipe, but when you axle stall you come out of the pipe.
I dont know if that makes sense, but I have also never dropped in from having both trucks on the coping either.
I think I’ll have to give them a go next week maybe.

I tend to practice different styles depending on what parts of the park are most empty LOL.