The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Natural progression of tricks to learn

I’m using skating as a confidence boost and getting some ‘balls’ to try things in the park for when the snow season comes around. I used to skate about 8 years ago and have always liked it but I never got any good.

So now I can ollie, kick flip 1/20, fake ollie all while rolling,
Drop in on a ~5’ half pipe, axle stall and FS 50-50 grind on a small quarter pipe.
The other day I took a nasty spill from the top of the half pipe when I slipped out trying an axle stall and fell from the top and smacked my head on the ground, gnarliest concussion Ive ever had - Couldn’t read / pronounce words properly for about 3 hours after, thought I had done something serious but It’s all good now (wearing a helmet next time).

This was all in my first visit to the skatepark mind you, so I think I got a little over confident and slipped up trying something I wasn’t ready for.

In the next few weeks I’m going to try ollie, fake ollie, kick flipping a few small ledges / stair sets and trying some rock-to-fakir, rock and rolls and feeble stalls on the SMALL quarter pipe.

I want to know if there is any tricks I could learn that would really help me in the park (pushing 3s in leighcardt, hitting some of the boxes in FV and blue cow (down boxes, up and down cori’s, etc) but I never hit a rail because I’m really sketchy on it.

Any info / tips would be really awesome.

peace

I have been doing the same thing. skating to help my boarding.
sucks about the head hit. I wear a helmet in the park always. concrete is alot harder than snow!

I think that anything you do on a skateboard will help improve your balance for snowboarding. boardslides or 50-50’s have gotta be the closest thing to hitting a rail on a snowboard though right?

Yeah but I feel that on a snowboard it would be easier, like I can board slide on a box but it just seems more sketchy on a rail, I need a way to try and gradually build up to it, unless going all out and just gunning for it is the only way?

And yeah my brother is bringing my helmet from home in a few weeks for me.. rocking my brand new sandbox at the skatepark ^_^

Hey Nake,

Skating will definately help with your park riding. Maybe not so much in regards to confidence, they are still very different still, but it will make you approach snowboarding with a different view. This is what I have found anyway. Feet position, not being strapped in and size/style of features are quite different between the two
Being able to bail of a skateboard is very different to being strapped into a board.
I found that i aproached rails n boxes with a different mind set, sometimes more confident but more it made me try a different array of tricks and be a bit more creative.

In regards to tricks to try to transfer, try to skate rails over ledges/boxes. I know its more intimidating but it is going to give a closer feel to snowboarding. Mainly because it is more unstable, and you have to be ontop of the feature with more balance. IT is a lot easier to get lazy with body position on ledges.

Try things like boardslides, nose/tail slides and lip slides on rails. These tricks require you to use seperation of the upper and lower halves of the body to initiate and complete the trick which is the key factor to being a good jibber in snowboading

try doing fakie ollies into ledges and rails as well. You can easily transfer this to doing nollies in regular and switch when aproaching boxes from the side which is fun.

hope this helps and let us know how u go!

Nake92 - 05 April 2013 02:38 AM

I’m using skating as a confidence boost and getting some ‘balls’ to try things in the park for when the snow season comes around. I used to skate about 8 years ago and have always liked it but I never got any good.

So now I can ollie, kick flip 1/20, fake ollie all while rolling,
Drop in on a ~5’ half pipe, axle stall and FS 50-50 grind on a small quarter pipe.
The other day I took a nasty spill from the top of the half pipe when I slipped out trying an axle stall and fell from the top and smacked my head on the ground, gnarliest concussion Ive ever had - Couldn’t read / pronounce words properly for about 3 hours after, thought I had done something serious but It’s all good now (wearing a helmet next time).

This was all in my first visit to the skatepark mind you, so I think I got a little over confident and slipped up trying something I wasn’t ready for.

In the next few weeks I’m going to try ollie, fake ollie, kick flipping a few small ledges / stair sets and trying some rock-to-fakir, rock and rolls and feeble stalls on the SMALL quarter pipe.

I want to know if there is any tricks I could learn that would really help me in the park (pushing 3s in leighcardt, hitting some of the boxes in FV and blue cow (down boxes, up and down cori’s, etc) but I never hit a rail because I’m really sketchy on it.

Any info / tips would be really awesome.

peace

dude skateboarding will ground you in so many ways.
but before you expect to feel comfortable on rails and stuff you need to ride a skateboard alot not tricks but riding pumping and using your weight to control it under your feet.
start with ollies over a hip and work you way up to tweaking the board
this will build board control because knowing a bunch of tricks with out first having locked board control is pointless as your consistency level will be low and its consistency that will give you confidence and than push you over bigger tricks.

good luck