The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

SKATE SHOES: What to look for.

I am glad to hear that you guys are finding this guide helpful and informative. Thank you for the feedback.
As you were saying Lewis you have found shoes that work well for you and you find skate and last well. It is true that within a brand range you will find some shoes that will work better than others. A lot of the time the reason for this is the fact that they have a pros influnence in the design and how they like shoes to feel. Each pro skates differently and has a different foot shape.
Other things as well is sometimes a company will produce a cruising/relaxing style of shoe which is designed for that reason. So don’t be surprised if you skate properly in them and they fall apart.

Hey guys I have just buy a new pair of shoe DC chris cole light…Im not sure if it was a défect shoes it’s been 6 week I have does they was skating very good but what was wierd my external inside toe cap was warn down pretty fast the sawing get rip off :S they were in suedes the sole was good they were well gripping the board and din’t warn down to fast I thinck I should exchange it If I could at the store I buy it they cost more than my last DC Dyrdeck shoes but those Dyrdeck shoes seems to last longer but they were pretty heavy but they do the work for me they have last a year with heavy dutty shoe goo and they have a rubber DC ollie cap on the logo what I fun pretty fun to ollie but now they are dead :S

Hey dgwbleu, first off welcome to Boardworld.
Skate shoes have a difference of durability. If you had the Drydek before with the rubber cap they are definitely going to last longer than just a suede shoe. Also with the use of shoe goo that is going to help it last longer as well. It is expected for skate shoes to have a shorter life span when being skated in, so most skate store won’t exchange shoes when they are getting holes and stitching coming undone because it is the normal thing to happen.
As your skating gets better and skating more often that will also shorten the life span of your shoes. Using shoe goo as you did before is definitely going to help them last again.
Does this answer your question?

héhéhé tanks :D Ive been skateboardin for 3 or four years now smile they have exchange my shoes it was a anormal pair they where rip inside not on the outside as it does for kickflip the problème was near the inside lace loop I dont say DC are bad shoes It is my favorite brand even if my 30 day was a little extended the boss of the skateshop give me a new pair less expensive but relly good for now they skate well it’s not and give me a crédit of 10$  so I buy soft bones hardcore bushing they are relly good he let me do a kickflip in his shop I dont have alot of money so he help me out I need a real stable job for my sport habbits skateboarding and boxing etc… and now I am with some Etnies new shoes the are sick I am going to test thoses for you smile have a nice day and they have a spatial ankle older with laces and they are low not high because I sprain my ankle last summer pretty bad I din’t change my old bushings rip off and I wasen’t tighting my shoes anougnt and some you did not mantionned in your guide before doing crazy stuff around with new shoes because they ares floppy at the begining you should where them a week to make sure the sole ore shoes take the form of your foot sorry for my terrible english im from Canada c ya smile

Glad to hear that you got sort out with your shoes, thats why it is always good to support your local shop they will help you out all the time.
Don’t worry about your English man we all speak the language of skating in this house.

Lots of good information, thought I would ask a question, do you have any experience with Lakai shoes, saw them on sale on They look like they could be pretty good but wanted a second opinion, thanks an advance for the help.

Are the Etnies Marana a good shoe for the money cant find a review anywhere but they look like they would be good. If not is there any where i can get a pair or two of shoes on sale for like $50-60 each?

MatthewGlenHill - 30 March 2013 11:06 PM

Lots of good information, thought I would ask a question, do you have any experience with Lakai shoes, saw them on sale on They look like they could be pretty good but wanted a second opinion, thanks an advance for the help.

Hey Matthew welcome to Boardworld.
I haven’t had experience with Lakai footwear in terms of skating them. I know some people that have had them and been stoked and others not so stoked. To be honest though, if they are cheap and you need shoes they would be worth trying. Thing is though I am always keen on trying shoes on before buying them.

By the way Matthew I removed the link as Boardworld promotes support the local industry.

There is a new brand out of Queensland called Mad Fli.

They are really well made and have a extra layer of rubber extended on the outsole making them more resistant to wear and tear. they were actually designed by a 14 year old skate boarder who’s shoes kept wearing out on the same spot so he decided to make his own! how awesome

https://www.madfli.com.au

They look good. May even try a pair if they stay on sale

It is amazing what you kids can come up with, they have fresh ideas and think outside the box. Similar idea I remember from the original E’s Muska.

Man late 90’s/early 00’s skate shoes were crazy. Anyone ever have a pair of Osiris, or some of the huge shoes Globe used to make?

I remember a mate used to have these when we were like 11 or 12 lol, probably why he never learned how to ollie LOL

I remember having a pair of these around the same time as well. No where near as big as the Osiris’ but still pretty huge lol.

LOL I remember when my mates had a pair of those e’s and osiris I was SO jealous! Now they look so ridiculous!

Osiris D3’s and Globe Chet Thomas model 5’s if I remember correctly.
Osiris was the brand in the 90’s with the likes of Chad Fernadez and Peter Smolik leading the charge.
I loved the fat tongues and baggy jeans, use to double tongue the shoes I wore so they were fat as anything.

The Globes are a Rodney Mullen pro model. RMS4. Pretty similar to the Chet 5’s though. 90’s/early 00’s skating was sick, it was what got me into skating in the first place.