The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Why I don’t like trees….

That video is pretty crazy. I watched a similar video last year as well. People die in tree wells; it’s a real danger and it definitely happens. It’s really important not to panic if you are caught in a tree well. Make sure you stay still and create an airspace around your face. Always carry a phone and if possible it’s also a great idea to have a whistle attached to your jacket (I should do this more often). You can blow a whistle for a lot longer and at higher decibels than shouting out.

More info here: http://www.deepsnowsafety.org/

That all said, tree riding is super fun and I wouldn’t suggest not riding in trees because of tree wells. Have fun but understand the dangers and play it safe.

skip11 - 13 March 2013 05:46 PM

But no so awesome when you fell into a creek

I’ve had a couple of really close calls with creeks. That’s another danger that can pop out of nowhere. I was almost in a very bad situation last season when I was riding with Nev. https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3476/P1080/#127199

We was riding in an area I am very familiar with. I know there are often small holes here and there you need to avoid. I also know a creek runs through there, which is usually fully covered mid winter. But this massive hole came out of nowhere. It was unexpected and absolutely huge. Probably about 2 metres in diameter and dropped about 20 feet to the creek bed. If I was going any slower, I could have potentially died. Still gives me the chills when I think about it.

rider26 - 14 March 2013 01:53 AM

We was riding in an area I am very familiar with.

I thought you were goin back to school now?????

Hahaha

That first vid is nuts!!

In early 2000 I wiped out in a tree well down one of the back bowls in Vail on a pow day, grabbing tree branches is great advice, that’s what I did (just out of instinct) And it kept me upright.  Digging yourself out of chest deep snow is a LOT of work, bloody hard to get upright enough to start moving again too