The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Lib Tech “Waterboards”

Seems this has been in the works for some time now but I just learned of it the other day.  After doing some research it seems like they may be an interesting product and I’m definitely going to try and see if I can demo one when they land here.  Have had a couple of emails going back and forth to Lib and they don’t have an ETA as yet but to watch the Quiksilver Boardstores in about a month or so. 

Wyatt one of their team riders vids

More infor on them here

http://www.libtechwaterboarding.com/

http://business.transworld.net/110915/features/party-in-the-back-lib-tech-private-surf-demo-typhoon-lagoon/

PARTY IN THE BACK: LIB TECH PRIVATE SURF DEMO, TYPHOON LAGOON
By Mike Lewis
Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:16 am | 0 Comments

inShare
SHARE:Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on tumblr More Sharing Services
VIEW:ENLARGE PREVIOUSNEXT(image 1 of 22)

LIB Tech Co-founder Mike Olson & GM Ryan Hollis welcoming the retailers to the lagoon.

After a long day pounding the floor of the Orange County Convention Center at this summer’s Surf Expo, the call from Lib Tech to join them for a private demo of their new “Waterboards” (read “surfboards” to most – hear more about the line from Mervin Co-founder Mike Olson), was the best offer we’d had in a while.

Along with a select crew of retailers, media, and surfers, we headed to Disney’s water park for a four-hour private session in the main wave pool that can pump seven foot faced rights, lefts, and peaks every 90 seconds.

“We invited our retail partners from all over the East Coast as well as a few of our ripper friends,” says Mervin Mfg. General Manager Ryan Hollis.  ”We had a great mix of pro and legend surfers, industry veterans, and a few representatives from Mervin.”
“Many of our retail partners that attended had only seen catalogs,” continued Hollis. “This was a chance to not only test the boards, but talk to the inventor, Mike Olson, about the technology and shapes. “Every person that attended left with a bit more understanding of how Lib Tech is changing everything you know about surfboards.”

Mike Barden, owner of Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina’s Surf City Surf Shop got some waves on the Waterboards and came back with rave reviews: “Sweet rides! I personally got to make turns on the 5’4? and 5’8? Ramp series and the 5’10? Bowl series boards. They’re very lively under foot [and] quick rail to rail. The concave deck allowed a better feel when the board is on rail—not too floaty. We are bringing them in for Spring ’13.”

“We can talk all day long about how our new Lib Tech Waterboards are more durable and environmental than any other surfboard on the market, but what better way to prove that they actually work than to host a private surf session,” added Hollis. “Typhoon Lagoon provides a consistent wave, perfect for trying our various models and sizes.  With waves coming through every 90 seconds, our retail partners could swap boards several times over the four hour session. The shops that attended were interested to see what all the hype was about.  They were intrigued by the tech story, the shapes and the environmental aspects, but were astonished by the margins. 

Lib Tech is providing our retail partners with more than double the average margin on short-board surfboards.  The response has been better than we could have ever expected.”  From surfing them, we couldn’t agree more.

I’ve seen one up close. Those boards are crazy durable. You can literally throw them around and they won’t ding. Marcus (Lib Tech rep) punched it as hard as he could and it didn’t leave a mark. He said it rides really nice as well. I’m definitely keen to give one a try.

hmmm i could be in the market for a new board…

What makes them so durable and environmental?

I have (used to ride all the time but know a display board) an epoxy with hemp fibre surfboard that was so tough, light and great to ride and produced so little waste in the manufacture process but was almost twice the cost of other boards.

I dunno mate, one thing about Lib is they don’t explain their tech much, it’s just marketing bullshit that doesn’t make much sense most of the time so you take it on face value or read the reviews by others with the snowboards at least.  My concern would be that horrible corky feeling from some of the tufflite style of boards.

Wow! They look crazy fun!! Cant help to think how they’d go in the bigger stuff (4ft plus). Either way id love to get my hands on one and see how they ride under foot… Probably just a super fun small day board me thinks

I reckon they aint gonna come cheap either!! Will be keeping an eye on these bad boys for sure!! smile

rider26 - 06 December 2012 11:57 PM

I’ve seen one up close. Those boards are crazy durable. You can literally throw them around and they won’t ding. Marcus (Lib Tech rep) punched it as hard as he could and it didn’t leave a mark. He said it rides really nice as well. I’m definitely keen to give one a try.

I know nothing about surf boards, but have seen how tough they are. I give them a big thumbs up shaka