The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How to Treat a Bluebottle Sting

Bluebottles are the most common cause of jellyfish stings in Australia. Bluebottles vary in size, and the severity of the sting usually depends on the amount of contact the skin has had with the tentacle. So if you are unfortunate and get stung, here’s what you should do.

Most beach-goers in Australia swim at non-tropical beaches, and so are most likely to come across the more harmless, non-tropical stinger varieties such as the common bluebottle.

For the most part, bluebottles are just an annoying inconvenience and at the most will give you a fright and leave a nasty itchy rash.

For the average person, getting stung by one will present no harmful danger, however, for the very young, elderly, people allergic to them or in extreme cases, they can present further complications.

To treat a bluebottle sting:

- Find a place to rest with someone who can watch over you
- Don’t rub the sting area
- Washing the site of the sting with vinegar is NOT recommended
- Pick off any remaining tentacles with fingers (a harmless prickling may be felt)
- Rinse the stung area well with seawater to remove any invisible stinging cells
- Place the stung area in hot water (at a temperature your can comfortably tolerate)
- If the pain is unrelieved by the heat, or if hot water is not available, apply cold packs or wrapped ice.

If the symptoms persist or for stings that cover a particularly large area, or across the throat & face call triple zero.

Article here.

so is it true you can pee on it?

cabletieperformance - 08 February 2012 11:21 AM

so is it true you can pee on it?

If it’s someone else’s leg…......... why not?????

You can pee on it but it wont do much for the sting. It can be worth it for the psychological relief (and the bonding experience).

Because the irritation lasts for days anti-histamine tablets (for hey-fever and allergies) might help some people.
A cup of cement will also help.

Hot hot hot shower works for me… Along with growing a pair smile

It’s been a while since I’ve been stung by a bluebottle (I probably just jinxed myself) but I find heat works for most stings including mozzies.

I love the way blue bottles “pop” when you step on them and I can’t resist killing as many as I can when I see them on the beach.

bodyboards are perfect for slapping and popping them when you’re out in the water, too grin

It’s always good to have a body boarder around and that’s another reason I didn’t know about.