The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Is snowboarding like skateboarding

snowbum_spaz - 04 January 2013 11:09 PM

Wakeboarding was born from Surfing.

Partially. Early wakeboarding evolved as an extension of water skiing, starting as a combination of both water skiing, surfing, and wake surfing - ‘skurfing’. Wakeboarding style evolved mostly from snowboarding and skateboarding.

Skateboarding was born from Surfing.

Partially. Early skateboards evolved from a combination of roller skating and scootering - influenced by surf culture. Early skateboarding style evolved from surfing, but has come full circle - where now surfing is influenced by skateboarding.

Snowboarding was born from mono-skiing.

Not even close. Snowboarding evolved from surfing - ‘snurfing’. Snowboarding style initially evolved from skateboarding on the US west coast, and surfing on the US east coast (with a brief time on the east coast also influenced by ski racing).

snowbum_spaz - 04 January 2013 12:36 PM

The closest thing to snowboarding is skiing. . .

Snowboarding IS skiing on one ski with both feet on that ski but standing sideways. If you can ski it’s an easy transition . . .

I don’t think so.

I could parallel turn within a couple of hours of learning to ski - thanks to skating (skating, not skateboarding). I just found it really easy. I was comfortable on skis before I tried snowboarding, but there’s no doubt it was skateboarding that got me through learning to snowboard.

You were a skier!!!!!  LOL

Oh crap. TMI.  shut eye

chucky - 05 January 2013 09:50 AM

Oh crap. TMIshut eye

Tim Myers Idoliser????? smirk

Well, you know I’ve always had a thing for ignorant, deluded, try-hard narcissists.

One of my CASI evaluators said that skiing is probably the best background sport for someone who’s new to snowboarding. His reasoning if I remember correctly is that with skiing you’re already used to metal edges on snow and going downhill.

I was giving simple origins without going into the details chucky.

Snurfing is so different to snowboarding (no proper binding and no metal edge but mostly rider technique) just because Sims and Burton first made snurfboards and evolved into companies who made snowboards (by implementing ski construction, materials and basic principles of how to best control moving on snow) doesn’t mean snurfing is the foundation of snowboarding technique.

By all means people can argue my points but the simple fact is that snowboarding technique (the real topic of this thread -is it like skateboarding- ) is that snowboarding is skiing when broken down to it’s basic element -contact and control in snow-

SamNZ - I guess I didn’t punctuate the word “almost” in the context of time, not weight distribution which is what I meant, “almost, most of the time your front foot should have the most weight over it”  earlier posts of mine gave examples of when this isn’t the case (rails jumps etc..) and with good <strike>skiing</strike> snowboarding technique -edge control- it isn’t needed most of the time. Though it is the basic element in teaching anyone to snowboard/ski lean downhill.

Mizu Kuma - 05 January 2013 10:17 AM
chucky - 05 January 2013 09:50 AM

Oh crap. TMIshut eye

Tim Myers Idoliser????? smirk

chucky - 05 January 2013 10:41 AM

Well, you know I’ve always had a thing for ignorant, deluded, try-hard narcissists.

LOL

snowbum_spaz - 05 January 2013 10:13 PM

By all means people can argue my points but the simple fact is that snowboarding technique (the real topic of this thread -is it like skateboarding- ) is that snowboarding is skiing when broken down to it’s basic element -contact and control in snow-

I learned to ski on long, straight skis with no sidecut whatsoever. That’s all there was when snowboarding was evolving. Edge control and turn initiation on the original style of skis differs from modern parabolic skis. Modern ski design is derived from snowboarding technology - so it could be argued that modern skiing is actually influenced by snowboarding, “when broken down to it’s [sic] basic element - contact and control in snow”.

THIS ^^^

It’s not that unlikely, because let’s face it - modern skiing wants to bastardise many other aspects of snowboarding as well.

Bloody Skiers!!!!!

LOL