The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Summer - who surfs and what level?

Poll: Who surfs and what level?
Total Votes: 40
No
No but I want to learn
Yes but pretty much a beginner
Yes at an intermediate level
Yes and have done it most of my life so I’m decent at it.
Mizu Kuma - 20 September 2012 07:22 AM
fast eddie - 20 September 2012 07:17 AM
Mizu Kuma - 20 September 2012 06:59 AM
fast eddie - 20 September 2012 06:57 AM

if ya wanna do tow ins, you both have to have first aid cert and pwc license as well…. and I have both so theres a start!!!  rocker

We goin to Shipstern’s?????

when ever ya ready

Too old for that shit!!!!! (ya not 20 anymore)

Don’t wanna see sauce splattered all over the rocks!!!!!

I’ve had my PWC license for about 10 years now. And I have my Bronze Medallion (haha not quite a first aid cert but all the knowledge is there).

Nthn, I’ve never actually done tow-in but I’ve been keen for ages. I know one of my mates would be keen as hell to join as well.

I’ll speak to you closer to the time re equipment. I’m pretty set but I wouldn’t mind upgrading my tow rope as it’s pretty basic (we’ve been using this one for wakeboarding).

Yeeeeeew! shaka

I selected beginner… I used to love surfing!! Started when I was maybe 10? Ive always lived 2 hours away from a beach so it wasnt easy back in the day before I could drive. However I havent actually been on a surfboard in years, might try and get out for a few sets pre summer, we’ll see smile

i did minimal surfing when i was younger, a bit of bodyboarding, but all that was along time ago so i selected no but wanna learn

ill need a bloody good teacher LOL

I call myself a beginner but do enjoy surfing. Also enjoy getting the 4WD on the beach whenever i can grin

rider26 - 20 September 2012 07:40 AM

I’ve had my PWC license for about 10 years now. And I have my Bronze Medallion (haha not quite a first aid cert but all the knowledge is there).

Nthn, I’ve never actually done tow-in but I’ve been keen for ages. I know one of my mates would be keen as hell to join as well.

I’ll speak to you closer to the time re equipment. I’m pretty set but I wouldn’t mind upgrading my tow rope as it’s pretty basic (we’ve been using this one for wakeboarding).

Yeeeeeew! shaka

Ha ha a good tow rope is a necessity, mate started making em after a tow in incident we suffered about 5-6 years ago.  We were out a bit south of Bells, was only about 6ft but with a real stiff offshore, before I towed him he was telling me that I had to be really aware of where the tow rope was while waiting for a set lest it get sucked into the impeller.  Sure enough he totally forgot about it and ran straight over it a while later and the ski coughed and died.  We spent the next hour taking turns with a diving mask and a knife diving underneath the ski and hacking at the rope for as long as we could hold our breath all the while getting blown further out to sea.  Not a very nice feeling in freezing cold water dressed like a human condom and looking very seal like doing that in deep water.

Eventually we ripped enough out for the ski to be started again and it spat what little remained of the rope out the back and we limped back to Zeally Bay.  After that he started making ropes that had a nylon core with a half inch think foam wrapped around the nylon and a nylon outer covering, too thick now to be pulled into the impeller and also floats so you can see where it is, necessity is the mother of invention!

Have a squiz at the comment on the ropes ha ha ha!

http://www.gboards.com.au/products/g-sleds

I’ve got my bronze as well, didn’t know about the first aid cert requirement though, wouldn’t take me to long to sort that out through the surf club.  Been meaning to finish my boat licence off ages ago, will do my PWC at the same time, always good to have.

slightly off topic but this summer i have a dream/plan
Near my house (i live in ocean grove in vic, its near torquay) there are sand dunes that lead down to the beach. I want to set up a HUGEEEEE slip n slide that goes from the top of the dunes down into the ocean. Ive got a portable generator at work so im now in the process of hunting down a smallish water pump to bring up the sea water to the top of the slide. BUT as it will end up in the sea i wont use normal detergents to lube up the slide so ill have to think of something more environmentally friendly.
Plus i need to find a cheap source of plastic to use aswell.
But yeah, if it goes ahead, feel free to come and get all slidey BW summer peeps

Hey Trent, how old are you mate, I got a few mates that lived in grove/barwon, maybe you know some of them?

If the slope has got some decent vertical in it, ya gonna need a pretty decent pump to match it!!!!!

Water pumps are rated on how many vertical meters(or feet) they have to lift the water. Pumping water up 50 feet vert is a friggin long way and will require a decent and expensive pump - probably petrol powered not electric.

With an opportunity to get into some tow-surfing I might have to get my PWC and finally do my bronze (or update my first aid cert.)

Hey Cords ever heard of cyclone season?
Oh;
L.A. in a NthE for protection
Cungie Isl for 1’ NthE wind swell
(I’m sure you are aware of those 2 spots)

But yeah, Autumn/Winter swell is more consistent on the south coast but when a summer cyclone swell makes it to the Gong!!! HEADIES/SANDON are at their best also Scarbs, Stany, Nth Thirroul, Macaulys….. blah blah blah

nthnbeachesguy - 20 September 2012 11:07 PM

Hey Trent, how old are you mate, I got a few mates that lived in grove/barwon, maybe you know some of them?

34 mate, but ive only lived here for 2 years

snowbum_spaz - 20 September 2012 11:16 PM

Water pumps are rated on how many vertical meters(or feet) they have to lift the water. Pumping water up 50 feet vert is a friggin long way and will require a decent and expensive pump - probably petrol powered not electric.

the dunes are not so much ‘high’ but more ‘long’, does that factor into the ratings? Plus im not after a waterslides worth of water, just enough to keep it wet and slippery

trentradpants - 20 September 2012 11:32 PM
snowbum_spaz - 20 September 2012 11:16 PM

the dunes are not so much ‘high’ but more ‘long’, does that factor into the ratings? Plus im not after a waterslides worth of water, just enough to keep it wet and slippery

It will to some extent as per volume in the hose, but the big factor is the vert!!!!!

snowbum_spaz - 20 September 2012 11:24 PM

With an opportunity to get into some tow-surfing I might have to get my PWC and finally do my bronze (or update my first aid cert.)

Hey Cords ever heard of cyclone season?
Oh;
L.A. in a NthE for protection
Cungie Isl for 1’ NthE wind swell
(I’m sure you are aware of those 2 spots)

But yeah, Autumn/Winter swell is more consistent on the south coast but when a summer cyclone swell makes it to the Gong!!! HEADIES/SANDON are at their best also Scarbs, Stany, Nth Thirroul, Macaulys….. blah blah blah

well aware of all of the above. cyclone swells that manage to make it that far south these days are too few and far between.

Irrelevant anyway as I live on the cenny coast now and I’m about to leave for sweden in november! I hope the summer of waves is terrible! haha