The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Summer - who surfs and what level?

Poll: Who surfs and what level?
Total Votes: 40
No
No but I want to learn
Yes but pretty much a beginner
Yes at an intermediate level
Yes and have done it most of my life so I’m decent at it.

Summer is fast coming upon us, two more snow weekends and then it’s pretty much NoHe or nothing for the next 8 months.  Will be interesting to see how many of you guys surf and if anyone is interested in doing some trips etc.  I’m struggling for travel buddies for both snow and surf with too many mates having pumped out kids limiting their options but like nothing more than getting out of Sydney for a weekend.

My generic option for a weekend is the Forster/Seal Rocks area, I know the area really well and love being able to cruise down a beach in the 4by till I find a nice bank.  Having said that I like the south coast as well down Mollymook and that sorta area and am keen for both.  Whose keen to do some trips?  Depending on the circumstances I’m not too bad with learners except if it’s pumping then you’re on your own ha ha.

Do I have to surf to come along?

I am keen to do beach trips - i enjoy the ocean but not the parking/etc crap that goes with city beaches!

no family/friends on a pow day applies directly to surfing too LOL

humdingaling - 20 September 2012 02:10 AM

no family/friends on a pow day applies directly to surfing too LOL

You can technically get away with droppin in on them also!!!!!

I own a surfboard but can’t ride it?

If I got a longer board, I’d be ok and keen to come. I’m also happy to go bodyboarding or just chill on the sand and play some beach footy / soccer / volleyball / cricket.

Boardworld Surf / Skate trip? Getting a 5 bedroom house in Forster (12 people) for a weekend is less than $100 each.

http://www.stayz.com.au/54502?checkin=22/02/2013&numNights=2&minPrice;=&maxPrice;=&numGuests=10&searchRef-specialOffers=false&searchRef-lastMinDeals=false&acceptsOnlinePayment=false&locationLevel=3&rating=0

or Ulladulla is very similar

http://www.stayz.com.au/62265?checkin=22/02/2013&numNights=2&minPrice;=&maxPrice;=&numGuests=10&searchRef-specialOffers=false&searchRef-lastMinDeals=false&acceptsOnlinePayment=false&locationLevel=3&rating=0

I selected “Intermediate” cause I’s been that long I think I’ve forgotten how!!!!!

Or when I do, paddlin this old carcass of mine through the surf aint gonna be pretty to watch!!!!!

The ocean scares me too much downer but I do like hanging out at the beach!

I looooove Summer. Before I discovered snowboarding last year it was all I lived for. Having said that I’m pretty woeful at surfing. Every time I show any signs of improvement, I don’t get back in for a while and the next time all progress has dissapeared.

I think the main problem is my paddling is very inneficient but without any surfing buddies I haven’t really had any chance to improve. Popping up and standing isn’t a problem but getting back out each time is punishment and I miss a lot of waves when paddling on due to slowness.

Pretty sure the hand me down board I’m using is the complete wrong size/shape but I have a hard time justifying purchasing another board.

I’m also a bit of a wuss when it comes to the ocean so it’s a very fine line between being too small to bother or too big and I often resort to swimming.

Having said that I pretty much live on the beach whenever the sun is out mostly swimming, running/walking, baking etc and would definitely be keen for some sort of BW beach meetup.

Prefer winter and definitely autumn for waves. NE winds in summer kill most of the surf, unless you know a nice south facing spot. I know a few but none of them aren’t crowded.

No friends if there are barrels.

Leave for sweden in 68 days (yeah i just counted!) and already pretty much booked up for every weekend until then, so I’m out….which I’m sure you’re very disappointed about tongue rolleye

Plenty of NE shelters Sth of the Gong!!!!!

yeah I know! Never said there wasn’t, did I? wink

I’m not enough of a frother anymore to travel that far for waves anymore unless i’m staying a few days.

Non crowded one’s too!!!!!  wink  wink

Soldier’s actually goes pretty well in a NEr and that is about 2 mins walk away.

doubt you’s will get down as far as lakes entrance but ill do jetski tow ins/ skurf and wakeboarding. smile

Ohh, go on then, rub it in why don’t ya!!!!!

Did I ever post that pic of my Grandparents Shop in Noraville?????

I’ve been surfing for most of my life so I can definitely handle myself out there. I grew up surfing and doing Nippers and lifesaving. Surfing was my first passion before I found snowboarding in my late teens. I haven’t been surfing in about two and a bit years so I’d expect myself to be a bit rusty. Can’t wait to spend the whole summer in the surf. Definitely keen to do some trips. Michelle and I are already planning a two week surfing trip travelling up the coast. I also have a jetski if anyone knows some good spots for tow-ins. Pumped for surfing this summer! shaka