The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Grab for Swag Contest 2012

WELCOME TO THE 2012 GRAB FOR SWAG CONTEST!

This contest is all about getting out there and shredding. We have four prize categories and a total prize pool of $2500 in prizes!

CATEGORIES:

1. Flying Squirrel Grab (see below for explanation and diagram) - $1000 in prizes
2. 180 of choice with grab of choice (must grab) - $750 in prizes
3. Straight Air with grab of choice (must grab) - $500 in prizes
4. Best attempt (must grab before wipeout) - $250 in prizes
—TOTAL PRIZE POOL OF $2500 IN PRIZES!—

THE RULES:

You must post your entries into this thread.

Entries must be from the current 2012 Southern Hemisphere snow season.

You must show clear evidence of your trick. We need to clearly see the trick and the grab.

A clear photo is OK but video evidence is definitely preferred. Bonus points for having a video. Only having a photo will have a negative impact on your chances of winning.

For all categories: We are looking for style, amplitude and/or distance, execution, and degree of difficulty.

You are allowed to enter a maximum of two entries. If you are entering twice, each entry must be in a different category, and one of these categories must be the Flying Squirrel Grab.

You can only win one category. We will credit your win to the highest category.

This contest closes on Sunday, September 30th, 2012 (6pm AEST). We may decide to extend the contest if the season is extended.

We will only send prizes free of charge to Australian postal addresses. We will also send prizes free of charge to New Zealand postal addresses if the entrant has Member or Team status by the end of the contest. You get Member status by having 50 or more posts on the Boardworld forums.

The best entry in each category wins the prize pack. The winners will be chosen by a panel of industry judges.

WHAT IS A FLYING SQUIRREL GRAB?

The Flying Squirrel is a grab from the now old-school snowboard game, SSX Tricky.

Boardworld hosted our first Flying Squirrel Grab Contest last season (possibly the first in history).

A Flying Squirrel grab is a double-handed grab. The front hand grabs behind the front binding on the heelside edge, while the back hand grabs behind the back binding on the heelside edge. You must grab with both hands simultaneously. Arch your back for added style.

HOW DO WE JUDGE THE FLYING SQUIRREL GRAB?

You must clearly grab with both hands in the correct grabbing area (see diagram above).

We are looking for style, amplitude and/or distance, execution, and degree of difficulty.

For style, you get bonus points for an arched back. You also get bonus points if you hold the grab for longer.

Amplitude and/or distance will be considered when judging.

Execution is how well you perform the trick. Were you in control? Did you stomp the landing and ride out cleanly?

You can perform the Flying Squirrel as a straight air, 180, 360, 900, double cork… however you want! The higher the degree of difficulty, the more points you will receive.

Winners will be able to choose prizes from our 2012 sponsors…

Put up the pic of Sauce Head takin it out last comp, in true style!!!!!

Saucy’s winning photos from last season…

Haha sick shaka

Definately gonna keep an eye on this thread LOL

Nice, I like the 2 entry idea smile Will definitely be putting up a challenge if I can get the balls to do a big one!

4. sounds like me
wipe outs are my specialty

aaawwww yea im up for the challenge, its gunna be all cameras out and shooting come shred time dance

so fun sounding!

Can’t wait to get some entries for this at the shred grin

Diagram added. Can’t wait to see some entries!

does it still count if you keep reaching around to your toe edge?

Technically not a Flying Squirrel grab but we would still love to see that! LOL

It would be a valid entry for the other categories though.

Welcome to Boardworld, joshy123. shaka

Isn’t that virtually a Scorpion?????

I’m gonna be 12000 miles away and i’m super excited about these contests!!  Nice work boardworld!

grabbing your toe edge with one hand is a suitcase grab, so two hands could be a double suitcase grab. I think you had better be pretty flexible!

There was one old school grab that I could never do but I forget the name. It’s an indy crossbone but instead of grabbing your toe edge, you reach between your legs to grab your heel edge

HELL TO THE FREAKING YES! Bring in on guys lol