The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trick Development

what trick are you aiming for this season?

whats the best advice to boarders just starting out at 360s and grabs?

The most important thing is to build the skills required for a particular trick and learn all the ‘parts’ of the trick. It is also important to visualise the trick, so you understand how to do it in your head.

An example would be a backside 360. Before you can land a 360 you need to know how to land a 180 - that’s normal progression. Therefor switch becomes important (everyone should learn switch - the better you get, the better your freestyle progression).

The parts: A backside 360 is essentially a backside 180 and a cab 180 put together. These are the ‘parts’ you need to learn and get solid at. Once you have these tricks dialed, you can start piecing them together. You need to visualise yourself doing the 360 so you understand what your body needs to do.

Generally when learning bigger spins you need to carry more speed into the jump, simply because you need more time in the air to get your rotation around. That’s not to say you should go throw yourself off something bigger than you ever have before - you should be 100% solid on that particular jump for straight airs and also backside 180s.

Slow progression is safe progression. Build your skills, learn the parts, visualise, then try.

Hope that helps.

im aiming for a fs 540. last season i concussed myself trying this even with a helmet on haha lets hope i get a better result this season, i just need to get my eyes in the right direction and then hopefully my board will follow

Solid advice PowNow! I wish someone had told me that when I was 21 and just starting out snowboarding!
I try and concentrate on having a solid relaxed stance as I approach the jump with weight equally on both feet and a clear idea of what I’m going to do in my head when I get to the lip.  And i’ve mostly given up hucking myself as smoothness seems to be a much better strategy and you can still spin as quick.  Anyways just my two cents….

ok ... so my aim for the next few weeks is to learn how to ride half pipe ... anyone got any tips? cos ive go no idea what im doing!

My tip for you is try not to bounce of the coping

mr roy. r u riding the glacier at all this summer? you could come teach me

louise - 23 June 2009 05:23 AM

ok ... so my aim for the next few weeks is to learn how to ride half pipe ... anyone got any tips? cos ive go no idea what im doing!

go to a skateboard park and just roll up and down the transitions, learn what it feels like to roll up and down.
There is a way that you “pump” the transition, and shift weight from front to back foot to move up and down the transition. Ability to do this on a skateboard will greatly speed up your learning process for when you get on the snow.