The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board for teaching newbie

Hi all, didnt know if this should go in here or equipment sry.

I have a friend I’m meeting up with us in NZ who has never boarded before, I was going to lend him one of my boards to learn with.  I was going to lend him my GNU street series 154 (BTX), but he is 6’2 and 100kg.  This board is short and soft for me (im taller), do you think this will hinder his learning.  The only other board I have is a 166 nitro pantera but i think this will be too stiff for him? what do you think? will the BTX maybe help, and is the board maybe a good size to learn on? I’m not sure.

It would work maybe but it’s certainly on the very small end of the scale for someone his size/weight. It would probably get him through the first day or two. A shorter board is easier to maneuver, but once he starts turning properly the board won’t have good edging or stabilit, which will probably lead to bad turning technique. How many days is he riding for?

5 days for him- I ride it as well and don’t find it too bad, I actually like it as a fun board and I’m his size/weight.  So you think it might impact on his learning curve?

In my opinion, once he starts linking turns a board that small will probably lead to bad technique. You already know how to snowboard, you have more refined skills and know how to adjust to a smaller board. I could be wrong, but from what I’ve seen when teaching people, a board that small for a guy that big will lead to him sliding the board excessively instead of making round turns with good technique. Once he starts turning I would say he would be better off on the bigger board. Not as maneuverable but he will have to turn with proper technique, will be better for edging etc.

mmk thanks for the help, I dont have much experience with teaching others/helping them- do you think the 166 would then be too big/stiff?

I think you asked the question in the right forum.

I would say that ideally he would use about 1 156 or 158, but I’d use the 154 for starters, it would seem really short and he’s have to dtand ind of side on it, but still it would be easier to make his first few turns than on the 166. Other may feel differently though.

I say put him in the 154 first but over the 5 days he should ride both and pick which one he feels more comfortable in.