The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Anyone ever Longboard (skate)??

I was thinking of having a crack at longboarding to get around uni and to-from work… Just wondering if anyone has played around with a longboard and can comment ??

Are they just long clunky skateboards? Are they pretty good fun or just a waste of time?

It may sound dumb, but I’d like to keep in touch with edge control and excersising my legs for snowboarding and was thinking cruising to work each day on one of these might be just what the doctor ordered?

What do you reckon?

DO IT DO IT DO IT !!!!

So much fun. Rolling on a long is one of lifes must dos shaka

They’re heaps of fun - great for your legs and ankles too. Along with beesekay (we share), I’ve got a 42” G&S ‘Blacktip’, a 38” G&S ‘Fibreflex’, and a 32” Bustin Boards NY ‘Spliff’.

Get a cruiser over a longboard. Easier to manoeuvre and still has the speed of a longboard.

You can pick up something like (below) for about $200 at your local boardstore.

^ Nah, then you defeat the purpose of getting a longboard, and may as well just get a regular skatey with larger/softer wheels. Longboards don’t have to be “long”, as our 32” Bustin Boards NY ‘Spliff’ shows.

I not a huge fan of the bend in the middle. Just a normal board with big wheels is fine for me… but that one just looks mad…

*goes off to search ebay for cruisers* smile

You mean the bendiness of the boards, TJ? That’s one of the main things that makes cruising around on longboards so fun!

An example of a Bustin ‘Spliff’

This is mine!!!!! I made this clip to see how the pole worked, so I didn’t go bombin any hills!!!!!

It’s a Sector 9 Goddess of Speed, OG Pintail 46”!!!!! A great compromise between a Cruiser/Carver!!!!!

And pretty sure that STM sell them????? Boardworld discount?????

Not mine, but the same model vvvvv

What a shit movie clip mizu….......

Longboards are the best!! I broke my wrist racing some little kids at X-mas a few years ago hahahaha

But don’t let that put you off lol….....GET ONE!!

And TJ, why don’t you like the bend in the board? To heavy for it lol?

It’s better than your movie!!!!!

And the only reason ya broke ya wrist was cause you were pissed!!!!! And probably scared of the kid too!!!!!

Warren Chapstick - 10 April 2012 08:31 AM

TJ just doesn’t like to have to put his hips into it, that’s all!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 10 April 2012 08:35 AM
Warren Chapstick - 10 April 2012 08:31 AM

TJ just doesn’t like to have to put his hips into it, that’s all!!!!!

Bahahahaha…... Come on J-lo put your hips into it! Opps i mean TJ…....

Part of teaching beeseekay to snowboard involved learning to ride a flexy, cambered longboard (the G&S Fibreflex). Perhaps Kimmy needs a few longboard lessons before we turn her to the dark side this season?

Definately sounds like there’s plenty of fans around here smile

What’s the deal with some that have a castor (like rip sticks) on one truck? Is that supposed to help you do slides easier or something?

Just be careful when you are learning…I know it sounds obvious, but those things pick up speed really quickly, and knowing how to stop is important! A lot of people just think of the fun and cruising but not how difficult it is to stop. I’d be practicing a LOT on flat ground and then gentle slopes & get confident with slowing down and stopping - it ain’t easy!