The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who’s learning to surf this summer?

Mizu Kuma - 27 December 2011 04:52 AM

That’s great Mw!!!!!

If ya feel as though lessons might help, the they definitely wont hurt!!!!!

Some tips, be patient as it’s one of the hardest sports to learn, try and stay away from the crowds as not only will ya get in the way of more experienced surfers, ya will only lessen ya chance of catchin more waves and make the process harder!!!!!

And try to keep ya board relatively “Flat” in the water when ya paddling to catch a wave!!!!! If ya weight is positoned to far forward or backward, this will stop the board from planin, and make it near impossible for ya to get up to speed with the wave, and in turn make it almost impossible to catch the wave!!!!!

Oh, and have fun!!!!!  shaka

Just sent an e-mail to a surf school in Margret River, getting some lessons organised XD

Let us know how ya go!!!!!

5th 6th and 7th of jan, 3 individual lessons!! Pumped!

5th 6th and 7th of jan, 3 individual lessons!! Pumped!

shaka

So first day out hitting the waves, absolutely loved it!!!!

Alot of work just in the white water learning to stand up and stuff, but had about 40min trying to catch some bigger waves, my timing was a bit off and trying to stand to early so we finished the days catching a few little waves untill i got it down pact,

Mint day but pretty tired. can wait untill tomoz,

Also go a bit of a rash on my right elbow/arm, any way to stop this?? or just wear a full wetty? or just harden up :D

Yeah, just harden up!!!!!  LOL

Good stuff Mw!!!!!  shaka

Day 2 Down,

The instructor (who i found out today used to be a AUS surfing champ, Who Knew?? haha) spotted my rash as soon as i jumped out the car and DEMANDED i be in a full wetty today, so yeh got that bit sused,

Was messy as out there today and the current was brutal. however small swell still, Got a few waves down and started turning, spent the entire 2hr in the water, been told i was making great progress,

Still on the foam boards atm cant wait to try my fibreglass board, how ever hes telling me its alot harder,

Depending on the swell there might not be a day three but fingers crossed!! (if its cancled im so going riding instead!!)

I hope I’ll be going to spain again this year :D

Matt Baldock was my instructors name. great bloke, learnt heaps off him!

took my first lesson yesterday.  Managed to ride my first wave in about halfway to shore, fell off a lot after that but still managed to stick a few.  Might have been helped slightly by 9’6” of polystyrene!  The waves were small and far between and the crowd was insane, but I had a great time and keen to have another go.

Good stuff, Mud!!!!!  shaka

Hey Andy!

saw this deal and thought of you and your Mrs…maybe you guys want some more lessons for super cheap?

http://www.grabone.com.au/central-coast/central-coast-surf-school-2?utm_source=GrabOne+Central+Coast&utm_campaign=ET_14539_au-main_central-coast_20120131&utm_medium=email

So im going on a surf trip with my mates and lady friends in a weeks time.
First time iv surfed so they can’t expect much, but anyone got any SIMPLE tips on how not to end the day washed up on the beach strapped to half a board?

Hahahahaaa!!!!!

Don’t go out into somethin that is too heavy for ya!!!!! Sometimes “friends” can take ya into somethin that ya should not be in!!!!!

Hang a bit away from them so ya can catch more waves without worryin about gettin in their way!!!!!

Make sure that ya wax ya board!!!!!

Use a board that has plenty of volume in it so as to make catchin waves easier, and also gives stability at the same time!!!!!

Go for somethin about 1-2 ft longer than yourself, nice and wide both across the middle and also around the nose if ya can!!!!!

Don’t rush it, cause ya not gonna pick it up on the first day!!!!! Just have fun, look at what the others are doin, and even ask for tips from people in the water that can surf!!!!! Ya might feel like a dickhead, but most crew will be happy to give ya a couple of pointers!!!!!

Most of all, stay out as long as ya physically able to, and have FUN!!!!!  shaka