The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Plane ticket prices to/from Canada

$1387AUD return including taxes (syd->lax->van and back) with delta booked a week ago, leaving syd Feb 4, then returning Feb 17 (back here Feb 19). 1hr40 and 2hr40 stopovers in LAX, hopefully thats enough time to change planes (never been overseas before!). I just checked now and those flights are no longer available.

planning to take a snowboard bag as my checked bag, no extra fees for this that I can see from delta website.

we’re at whistler from feb 4 to feb 12, and feb 12 to feb 17 in vancouver (looking to check out grouse mountain and maybe cypress as day trips).

from what i have heard from a workmate who flys to the US all the time, your going to “enjoy” the delta flight haha

he flew it the first time and swore never, ever again to fly them long haul.

Couldn’t be worse than Hawaiian Airlines. They charge to use a blanket and/or pillow. No TV, crappy food, poor service etc.

Welcome to Boardworld, New Kleer! Make sure you hit us up in the Whistler thread before you arrive. cool smile

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3476/

NewKleer - 16 December 2011 11:24 AM

$1387AUD return including taxes (syd->lax->van and back) with delta booked a week ago, leaving syd Feb 4, then returning Feb 17 (back here Feb 19). 1hr40 and 2hr40 stopovers in LAX, hopefully thats enough time to change planes (never been overseas before!). I just checked now and those flights are no longer available.

planning to take a snowboard bag as my checked bag, no extra fees for this that I can see from delta website.

we’re at whistler from feb 4 to feb 12, and feb 12 to feb 17 in vancouver (looking to check out grouse mountain and maybe cypress as day trips).

That’s a very nice price NewKleer! Did you book direct through the airline website? Would be keen to hear your feedback of the flight.

Pretty sure fatima and Chapstick flew Delta, SYD > LAX > Calgary last season, so fatima will at least tell ya what the food was like!!!!!

Pretty sure that Flight Centre had flights from around that price, Dan!!!!!!

Not sure if ya can just book air through SkiMax either, as Flight Centre actually went through SkiMax for their quotes anyway!!!!!

Plus if ya use SkiMax, ya get 5% off all land components!!!!! Just tell them after ya get the final quote!!!!!

Trying something a tad risker

Air Strategic (Air Australia) Mel to HNL. HNL to YVR via air canada. $1180 all up.

Sounds like there are some very cheap deals. I better keep looking…

Thanks Mizu. Will try skimax and Flight Centre.

I’ve been using this website mainly. It’s kinda like webjet. It compares lots of different websites for cheap deals…

http://www.cheapflights.com.au/

Yeah, those prices are through the Flight Center website!!!!!

will try remember to post in the whistler thread when we’re on our way!

yeah i booked thru delta.com, that flight isnt available anymore (more expensive + longer layovers).

dont what to think too much about how bad the flight could be in advance, just deal with it at the time smile

I booked one with united last week to calgary for $1400, thats the cheapest I reckon they have been in 15 years since i started going over each season.
I know united are average at best but needed one more to get enough points for a freebie next time!

petem, i purchased a couple of little 200ml vodka bottles from duty free for $6 to drink on the plane & mix with soft drink which is free on the plane. Technically they don’t allow you to consume your own on board but the little bottle are more discrete than the 1L! (United charge you $6 for hotel mini bar sized spirits)

Ok so i was having a read through this thread coz im paranoid im gonna screw up my first snow trip, but small town country kid paranoia aside i had a look on the airlines websites (im flying to syd via qantas and then to Vanvouver Via Air Canada and then some little poxy local flight to kelwona)

Mizu Kuma - 16 December 2011 07:23 AM

Yeah, that’s what we’re facin, Dan!!!!!

And they reckon that even if ya have only 1 board bag, if there’s 2 boards in it ya have o pay double!!!!!  rage

I’m gonna do my best to hide one in there though!!!!!!  cool hmm

“When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:

one or more sets of skis (snow or water) packaged together in the same container,
one snowboard,
one wakeboard,
one helmet,
one set of poles,
one pair of boots (ski or snow),
one pair of skates,
a single slalom”

I got that from AC website, it talks only if they are packed separately, (i only have one board anyway) but if you have 2 in the bag and its under weight shouldn’t be a problem right?

And does any know about transfer of luggage? The only plane i ever been on is from perth to newman for work :/ and usally my luggage is a block of beer!! (Emu Export :D)

Do i have to pick up my luggage and take it to the AC flight or do they transfer it over for me?

Pretty sure that ya will have to grab ya gear at the carousel at SYD due to it bein a different airline, then ya might not go through customs again, but veer of before, and over to ya connecting flight?????

Depends on ya itinerary/what terminal/gate etc, and ya can ask that question when ya first check in at Perth!!!!!

And I am hopin on the two boards in one bag under 23kg will get me through with only a single charge, otherwise I’m gonna pull out the two pairs of skis discrimination card for sure!!!!!  LOL

Is your qantas flight ticketed with the AC flight? Or did you book qantas flight separately?

The reason I ask is that you will only be allowed to take the qantas domestic allowance on the flight to Sydney. Which is not going to help you at all.

And Mizu is correct pretty sure you have to transfer with all you bags. The only way you don’t is if your flight from perth happened to be departing from the international terminal..