The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Buy or rent a Snowboard

Yo
I’m heading to Thredbo 11th July, I only board once or twice a year, is it a good idea to buy a snowboard or should i just rent one?

Over the long term it’s a much better option to buy your own equipment. Not only is it a better investment financially, but you have the chance to really get used to your equipment which helps with progression. Rentals down at the snow are quite expensive and if you go to the snow every year the value in buying your own equipment is there.

There are a lot of good deals at snowboard stores right now. I would definately recommend you buy your own gear. As mentioned, it’s a better investment.

If it an option for you buy.
Having your own equipment, lets you set it up to your preferences, and you can become familiar with it.
It helps while learning because you have consistency with what you use each day and can pick up right where you left off learning.
It is also good because you have access to it all the time and can strap in at home and play on the carpet - there is a lot to learn by doing this. changing some smaller settings in the bindings or trying it with your boots laced super tight, or a little relaxed - you get to figure out all those details that play into how your day goes once out on the hill.
Many members on here will help offer advice on what equipment to buy.

I recommend buying snowboard boots instead of renting. Having a boot that fits right and is comfortable will make your day. Snowboard boots fit differently to shoes ... go into your local snowboard shop and get a boot fit.

louise - 18 June 2009 06:37 PM

I recommend buying snowboard boots instead of renting. Having a boot that fits right and is comfortable will make your day. Snowboard boots fit differently to shoes ... go into your local snowboard shop and get a boot fit.[/quote
I agree with Louise. If you have get one piece of equipment, get some good boots.
Good thing about having your own boots is that any good bootfitter can customise your boots to a certain degree.
Can’t do that in a rental boot.

I agree with louise. Buying boots is the first piece of equipment you should invest in.

When buying your boots however remember to shop around and ask questions. Every brand of boot fits differently, some wider some narrow and some brands have a greater tendency to “pack out” which means the liner relaxes around the foot and can increase the boot size anywhere from half a size up to and entire size and a half.

Also the top of the line boot may not always mean it is the best. Every brand of boot have a range, including aggressive stiff boots to soft boots. So ask the sales person what boots may suit your riding. Or even better ask these forums because between us we have ridden a lot of brands and styles and are not trying to make a profit.

Once you do buy boots and are looking to buy a snowboard and bindings make sure they are wide or narrow enough for boots.

Thanks for the help guys.

Think I’ll go out and find myself a pair of boots and maybe a board.

My g/f will probably be hiring some gear, any tips on best place to hire from and what sort of prices we’re looking at?

Where are you located? If you are in Sydney we have have a great rental fleet at our store in Bondi Junction (426 Oxford St). You will find the prices cheaper and better equipment than down at the snow. We will provide you with a board bag to carry the equipment, and we don’t charge for your travel days. If you are located elsewhere, let me know and I can recommend a good shop.