The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Wavegarden

This is almost enough to make me want to move out to the country, buy a farm with a lake and never surf with anyone but mates again.  I would get them to crank it up to 4-6ft and be a happy man.

http://www.wave-garden.com/

Nice! Wonder how it works?

I wonder how much?

It’s got my brain doing it’s spaz thing and I reckon a few months in a bobcat and I could build one. Just where and how to get the approval?

How much is a bobcat?

I think it uses heaps of hydraulic pins in the bottom of it that push up in sequence to change the contour of the bottom and create the wave effect. Costs about 3 million euros for the smallest one & 5-6 million euros for the more complicated (e.g. better & the one you’d want).
good luck with the bobcat, spaz! grin

I’m a big fan of this thing, all I need to do is win a big lottery prize and I’m moving up the back of Seal Rocks, Bungwahl area on a 20 acres, building a big fark off mansion, hiring a bobcat for a month and making a big circular dam for a never ending right or left depending upon my mood at the time. 

Seriously though, it looks great in principle but if guys like Bobby Martinez and Jordy are barely able to do lip taps it needs the capability to really be at least 4 ft to make it appealing to me.  The shape looks great, the barrel would be insane given another couple of feet, barrel riding would be like PS2 Kelly Slater Surfing.  Would be great to get the cash together and set it up in Terry Hills or somewhere close to me, you would think it would be incredibly popular if you could get it through council and up and running.  Would be interesting to see their business model as to how they plan to charge for use, how many waves you get and how many ppl it can cope with.  If you could pump it up to 8ft 300m stand up pits I imagine ppl might cancel there Indo boat trips and pay $1000 each for yourself and 6 mates to have the place to yourselves for a week!

I don’t think they are doing the hydraulic lifter thing with the Wavegarden. Their website says it’s a fraction of the cost of common wave pools.

If we set it up next to a river we could fill a series of resevoirs and release the correct amount of water to create a wave like a flash flood.
Releasing of the water would have to be channeled correctly to reduce turbulence - on a small scale you can do it with drinking straws and wire mesh. (Fire hoses use this tech to make water reach greater and smoother flow at the hose nosel)
The mechanics of a release valve to handle hundreds of tonns of water at a time is the difficulty. The rest is contours and flow=bobcat time.

A release valve could be as simple as being like a starters gate for motorX etc. When the water reaches it’s tipping point the whole thing swings open, goes through the turbulence filter, a series of embankments and into the wave area. The gate is reset and begins refilling from stored resevoir.  The excess water drains into the river or into the next resevoir for the next Wave area down stream.

3 gates would mean we could have 3 wave sets and because it’s a ‘wave’ we could time the period between waves causing the 2nd and 3rd wave to have steeper and larger wave faces because of the trough trailing and leading each wave.

That sounds so doable it hurt my brain.
Photobucket

Spaz,  I found the patents on the net, it is essentially a solid object that is pulled through the water on a cable system to create the wave,

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100017951

I dont think the issue is making the wave, i think it has more to do with getting the wave itself right and dealing with the refraction and wobble caused by a wave in an enclosed space.

Cool, thanks for the link.

^^ Need to do some fun rising lol

OMG almost looks just as fun as the Wave House in San Diego! Haha!!

I think we should all contribute and get this thing up and running.. Uncrowded 4-6 rights. Sounds like heaven to me.. Maybe even build a little half pipe to skate when we’re done surfing…

Ohh the opportunities are endless!!!

OMG.OMG.OMG. do you know wat i would do to have that in my backyard..OMG

^^^^
its fine now…i just bought one off ebay….$1.75 + postage..anyone wanna come 2 my house?