The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boardworld Skater Progress Thread

You guys have inspired me to buy another skateboard setup. I haven’t skated in in about three years and I’m finally keen to get back into it. I’ll probably wait till I get back from Whistler but I’m committed to doing so.

Hells Yeah rider!! Get on it boy!

Right! I’ve managed to get a mate to loan me his spare board, so I’m going to give skating a real crack.

Probably the best thing I can do to keep the snowboarding bug in check over summer.

I’ve never really skated before. I had a few old school boards when I was a kid, but never really got into it.

Now I just need to find a good spot to ride.  shaka

Just find a smooth empty carpark to start with really. Just to cruise around and get your skate legs. If there is gutters then you can use them once you have learnt to ollie.
Start off just skating around, getting used too pushing and feeling how the board rolls. Car park is good cos usually variations in the surface, like bumps and joins and cracks. These will throw you off when you ride over them as a beginner, but will get u used to riding.
As for starting tricks. Start with the ollie as its the base for most skate tricks. Start off on grass or carpet at home and it helps to get the feel of it at first if you hold onto something like a chair or fence. That way you have more confidence and get the motion of the legs.
Check out the trick tips on the Skate home page.

Great to see more members getting into or getting back into skating smile

Cheers mate! Sounds like a good start.

Probably the first thing I’m going to try and do is change my push. I’ve always pushed with my front foot, but I figure since I’m only really starting out, there’s still time to try and change to my back foot. Hopefully skating on my snowboard will make this feel a bit more natural than it used to.

where u at tills?

I’m in Melbourne. Northern suburbs.  grin

ahh no good in Syd

just rock up to your local park early in morning when no one is around

Will have to meet up some time Tills for a skate. Im from Ferntree Gully. Bit of distance, but easy to meet up for a cruise sometime.

What suburb in northern are ya tills? Ill let ya know where some parks are around ya.

Yeah mate, I’m keen to get together for a skate some time. Maybe I’ll get my legs first so I don’t make you look so bad. LOL.

I’m in Bundoora. I know my mate goes to a park in Heidelberg sometimes, so I can tag along with him there. There’s also a small one in Mill Park I know of. That’s about it though.

In Fawkner there is a park that is an open bowl/transition park with a little street strip. Looks pretty cool if you want to skate trannys
Thomastown bowl. Pretty big, but has a small section which could act as a small miniramp
Awesome park in Epping, just a bit further up from the Mill Park one.
Greensbourgh and Eltham also have decent parks

BW Skate Jam 2012? :o haha

Well it looks like I’m spoiled for choice then. Thanks for that mate.

I’m going camping this w/e, but I’ll try and get out there one evening during the week.

BKM - 13 October 2011 02:42 AM

BW Skate Jam 2012? :o haha

Are you anywhere near us mate?

No worries

Haha nah he Is from darwin

Hey guys which one of these would you recommend learn first? axle stalls or rocke to fakies?