The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

GoPro HD - does anyone use it for the snow season?

Headstrap is no good for action. Putting a light weight cam on your goggle strap works well but at 116g I would hard-mount the Contour onto a helmet.
I don’t like the way GoPro mounts on a helmet.
You can get away with the goggle strap with POV.1.5 at 28g.

Rider is guessing right.

here is the Contour but you need the waterproof case even for snow.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Compared to pov.1.5

Photobucket
and POV.HD
Photobucket

Hey Spaz, was wondering whether you knew if Gopro are planning to bring out a new version of their camera any time soon? I’ve been so impressed with gopro footage I’m tempted to buy one, but willing to wait if it’s worthwile.

Don’t know. Haven’t heard anything but haven’t been looking either.

Give me a week and some info should pop up from GoPro.

I know a guy was using 2 GoPro’s in Thredbo to create a 3d movie but haven’t seen it on YT yet.

Thanks Spaz.

Yeah 3D sounds kinda interesting but 2 gopro’s would be way too much money!

If they make a new version of the gopro, the main thing I’d want to see improved is a move to a better shape, not the current brick.

I thought about doing 3D last year by mounting 2 cameras inside my helmet. When I realise I had to produce it in B/W I gave up.

Dan83 - 24 January 2011 11:35 PM

Thanks Spaz.

Yeah 3D sounds kinda interesting but 2 gopro’s would be way too much money!

If they make a new version of the gopro, the main thing I’d want to see improved is a move to a better shape, not the current brick.

I agree about GoPro’s look. It looks sweet on the end of a pole.
I think the price of the GoPro is partly because of the shape. It is very similar to a generic P/S camera it does better video footage than a P/S and comes with a waterproof housing.

Contour on a pole with the waterproof housing would be cool but it costs   over $400.

GoPro 960 Hero is my pick for price $275
Add 4GB SD card, second battery and antifog lens will add almost $100.

Why can’t you take VIO in the surf?
I do.

It’s waterproof rating is taken to 10m indefinitely with the H2O bag for diving!
It’s rated for a dip in the shallows and submersion for 30min, anything with an O-ring seal will suffer with exposure to salt water as the crystals expand and weaken the seal each time it dries. Even boat engines.

Banger had his POV leak while in the surf without a H2O bag because the screws that hold the O-ring came loose. It then had problems- I swapped his for one of mine, I then washed it out, cleaned it up, dried it and now it’s perfect. I didn’t hesitate to give him mine as I know how good the warranty is with VIO.

Where is Banger?

Contour were the leading seller of headcams in 2009, they aren’t cheaper than GoPro.