The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Weird Feeling in my Leg when I Land

Whenever I land an ollie, I feel a weird sensation on a small, particular spot on my right shin. The sensation is sort of a quick jab and tingly feeling that lasts about a second. The sensation isn’t agonising but rather bothersome and distracting.

I have a feeling it might be linked to how much pressure I put on my feet when I land.The frequency of this occurring is pretty irregular and has thankfully become less often but it’s still somewhat annoying.

Is this normal? Has anyone ever had this? Is there anything I can do to prevent/stop the sensation?

Sounds similar to the early early symptoms of shin splints which involves the inflammation of the tendons that attach to the shin bone. Not the stage of hairline stress fractures or anything, cos us notice that. Might be from repetitive landings that are stressing the muscles. Could be caused by bad shoe support and also if ur not used to the motions and over using themJ

Sorry for the late reply. Damn, that sounds serious. The cause could be any of the three you mentioned, hm. Is there anything I can do to relieve it? Would you advise medical help?

IF it is sore enough that it is limiting your movement or daily activities, or is getting worse, then definately see a physio/osteotherapyst.

Rest is the only thing that stopped mine

I only notice it when I practise tricks, like the ollie. Other than that, my leg never bothers me. Despite having not skated in a few weeks, the tingling was still the same since I last skated.

Can you be more specific exactly where the pain on the shin is?
Is it nearer to the knee or nearer to the ankle? And is it towards the outside of the shin or inside?
Just need a little more info before I can give my input here….

It’s in middle, between my knee and ankle, but more towards my ankle since it’s a bit lower down. And it’s slightly more on the right so the outside. Sorry if my details are vague, do they help?

That does help smile
I’m not entirely convinced its shin splints based on where the pain is (although I’d not rule it out completely until I’d assessed you)
Sounds like it’s a repetition issue. How frequently do you skateboard?
Perhaps try stretching your calf/calves beforehand. You can also try soft tissue massage of your calf. Do you have any pain if you touch/palpate the area?
A physio could use tape to take the load off the muscles. If it persists after some treatment, a physio can also refer you on to get some scans.
Do you have good technique with your landings?
Do u get any pins and needles or numbness in your leg?

I skateboard regularly but the issue only arises when I practise tricks which is about twice a week with each session lasting half an hour.

What stretches do you recommend? I’m a bit confused about the whole stretching thing since I’m aware static stretching beforehand is bad for you.

There is no pain when I touch the area, no. That’s why I found it so peculiar.

I don’t think my technique is great. I have a feeling I might be landing too hard when I practise, like I’m forcing the landing too much.

Pins and needles, hm not really. Sort of a tingling sensation that becomes progressively more pronounced if I keep practising. It’s over within an hour of stopping though.

Sorry for the delayed response.
Ill clarify- with re to stretching, try stretch your calves daily (not necessarily just before you go skating)
You can also try ‘toe drags’- walking and with a pointed foot (shin in a stretch position) drag your leg behind you…
Is there anyone that can help modify your landing?
Maybe with a corrected technique, the structures in your lower limb that are being over stressed with too much force, the problem will rectify…
Let me know how you go smile

I think I’ve improved a bit with my technique over time so the weird feeling doesn’t come around as often. I can still feel when I do land with too much force and such but it’s gotten better. Thank you so much for your help!