The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Manton Skateboards?

Yes CJ. You are 100% correct!!!! you have just given me an idea! thanks mate.

American companies are more well known. They have more pros on their teams and they say their product it the best. Our aussie companies arent quite as big as the American companies, therefore that is why very few buy aussie made. the difference right now is if you say, do you know girl skateboards, nearly every one will say yes, but if you say 24 skateboards, not many will know. As for manton, they are still new, so it isnt well known as well. im certain our aussie companies make the same quality boards/products as the american ones, and if we could get them ‘out there’ im sure our companies will be just as popular as american ones.

America Has 12 million skaters Australia has far less (sorry not sure on exact figures) Aussie companies will never be able to assemble a team like Plan B, Element etc so promotion and getting “known” is very difficult. Advertising is also very expensive in Australia and difficult to nail your target market in any sort of volume. I am just going to continue making sick boards and accessories for Aussie skaters.

Very true Kazza. Unfortunately these companies have been known to exploit the Aussie market as well. Other problem I find is that skate stores in Australia don’t want to support Aussie brands as much either. Some shops will do their best and carrying some Aussie brands, but then they won’t take the time to educate someone about the brand or anything like that.
Other thing is you get some kids who will come to the park or spot and rip anyone skating on a Aussie board. So it then also becomes an image thing. Have “that” brand. I went through wanting to have “that” brand at one stage then realise I could get some really good boards for less cash and really good quality. I have always tried to support either Aussie brands or less known brands because skating should be about support and love. Not an image.
It is true about the amount of skater helping the market, but if you think about skaters supporting brands it helps. Skater to board ratio can make a difference. I am not saying that if you love a certain board companies shapes that you should dump it. Just be open minded to the Aussies brands out there and be happy to support them. It can all make a difference. Imagine if the amount of Aussie to American boards went from say 1 in 20, to even 1 in 10. Be awesome.
Some companies won’t even bother with advertising, they go with word of mouth, or giveaways. They find that works far more effective and they can end up keeping the price down then because of not throwing loads of money into advertising.
Well that’s my rant.

butcher2230 - 13 September 2012 10:17 PM

Yes CJ. You are 100% correct!!!! you have just given me an idea! thanks mate.

Don’t you be getting ideas about me butcher ha ha tongue laugh

Hey CJ, Nothing wrong with a little inspiration from an open minded skater! Really good rant mate!!

very true cj and butcher.
its all about ‘an image’. i think some skateshops dont sell aussie brands cos they are worried no one will buy them, so they stock the more popular brands which tend to be american. i believe that skateshops have some contribution to this ‘problem’, because if they dont sell aussie brands, how will we ever find out about them, and all we know is the popular amercian brands.

Yeh Kazza, to be honest i dont blame them, i think you need to prove yourself first in your quality, performance etc. I am sure some shops are doing it tough and the safe bet would be to invest in the name brands.
It does frustrate me a little seeing some of the big companies producing pretty average quality product and the Mums and young kids buy it for the name. Thats business and that is what i am competing against…. bring it on!  ha.

When I was working in STM I made sure we carried a balance of brands and spent time talking to people about the product and what is the better value for money for them. To me it make sense to support skateboarding as a sport we love, not as a money maker. I remember when Coretech was first hitting the market, some people though it was a joke that an Australian company was going to do so well. First set I had were so fresh they didn’t even have the printing on them. I was honoured to get to ride one of the first sets out. Well the product was amazing and that’s all I skated pretty much for years on end. Put spitfire to shame they did. Shame they aren’t around anymore but for what they were worth, AMAZING WHEELS and an Aussie brand with big international skaters backing it.
I have skated my fair share of Aussie skate deck companies in the years they have been around. TIME, CONTROL, XEN, ARMOURDILLO, FOLKLORE, PASSPORT AND 4, I am sure I have missed some. Some smaller American brands to support the cause. Wheels I skated CORETECH, DRAFT, HOON AND 4 did some banging wheels. Which I have some back up sets. MODUS bearings, bolts and griptape. Also have skated Theeve trucks too.
Thing is some of my favourite decks have been the 4 and Folklore decks and they have been the cheaper boards as well. I think if Aussie brands are going to survive they need to have good pricing, awesome decks, catchy graphics and back the scene as much as possible. Sponsor the right skaters and get to them when image isn’t the thing for them.
Come on Butcher lets show them that Australia has some awesome board companies.

Hey CJ
I am trying mate, Manton Skateboards is only in our second year. You know how much of a skate nerd i am and only sell the best product. My customers are seeing that and keep returning that is a good base to bulid on.
Totally agree with you on the Aussie companies especially Folklore. CJ i have tried to back the scene, i have offered to sponsor all the major events in Australia also the AM events even the smaller events, you dont even get a return email?

Hey Butcher,
I am not doubting that you are trying at all mate. Best thing is repeat and happy skaters, unfortunately they don’t always spread the word or the love. For some reason the hater seems to spread the word more. Look forward to seeing what the SAF series has to bring for you mate.
Worst part with Australian events I have found in the past is once again, unless you are a big Yankee brand most people won’t have much to do with you. Even if you have a lot to offer than the other brands, they still won’t really flinch at the idea.
Let’s see what is going to happen for you Butcher. Your pricing is good and your product seems to be on point so hopefully the tail end of this year is going to be a banging one for you.

Hey CJ
Thanks mate. Sales have been great and with the release of SAF and the new ranges of trucks sales are only going to improve. I have stopped trying to contact the people that run the major events in Australia as they dont seam to want extra sponsors. Thats cool, i can put more money into R&D and keep bringing Aussie skaters quality gear at a better price!

this is what we need. aussie companies trying their hardest to truly support the skate community, not just because of the money, but because they actually care. New technology products are a bonus as well!!!

Thanks Kaz We are trying our best. We are always working on new ways to make products better and hopefully more affordable. Our new trucks for 2012/13 have been updated with dual duro yellow white boned bushings and all come standard now with top grade black hollow kingpins. Pretty stoked on them for our standard truck!

It is great to see a brand that feels that innovation is just as important as a new line of graphics. So many people just aren’t getting bang for their buck when it comes to buying skate gear. Some big brands are pushing the pricing down and offering more, but other brands are doing nothing to help.
Sounds good butcher be good to see some images for the trucks and so forth mate.