The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The rack or the box

Just curious; do you guys use racks or cargo boxes on your roof bars for your boards?  I’ve always used a rack, but I have a box and was wondering if it would protect the boards a bit better.  On the downside, the rack holds the boards down nicely, whereas you’d have to secure them somehow in the box.

Racks are better i think, just make sure you safely secure the board down because ive seen people on the way to the mountain and they stop suddenly or turn aggressively and the board just drops down onto the road scratching the car lol not a pretty sight.

heh yeah that would be bad.

Last year I came back from the snow in spring and collected a few bugs on the front of my boards.  this made me unhappy because they were a complete prick to clean off (what do those little bastards eat, epoxy resin??)

I use racks, but keep my board/boots/etc all in the bag that I have!!!!!

DaKine High Roller,

I have the wagon, so I just throw a back seat down and lay it straight in the back.

If I do happen to have a full load of passengers, I have a pair of Creatures Of Leisure tie down straps that I originally bought for my surfboards. I would tie the bag to the roof like Miz does.

Yeah, I use the same Creatures straps too!!!!! They are solid as!!!!!

And the same goes for when it’s just me and Mrs Miz!!!!! Everythin goes in the back of the Subie!!!!!

Thule extenders ftw

cabletieperformance - 15 June 2012 06:51 AM

Thule extenders ftw

Is that when you’ve run out of cable ties?  LOL

LOL i see what you did there…..

Mizu Kuma - 15 June 2012 06:12 AM

DaKine High Roller,

hm not a bad idea, but that thing looks about as aerodynamic as my arse.

cabletieperformance - 15 June 2012 06:51 AM

Thule extenders ftw

is that so you have enough clearance to mount boards base-to-base and not have the binders scratch the bejeezus out of your roof?

yeh fits 4 boards easilyhas a fair height clearence but somethime the ankle straps touch but nothing a rubber band or cable tie wink wont fix if you cant moodge them into heelcup… the best part is the pullout as you dont have to dirty your jacket or scratch the crap out of your car…also locks for maccas stops etc.

ah I gotcha.  I thought you meant some little height booster doodad.

Mudhoney - 15 June 2012 07:58 AM
Mizu Kuma - 15 June 2012 06:12 AM

DaKine High Roller,

hm not a bad idea, but that thing looks about as aerodynamic as my arse.

Fits 2 boards/ 2 helmets/ 2 pairs boots/ outerwear/ wax kit etc etc, unstrap from the roof and wheel straight to ya room/airport/train etc etc!!!!!

And like Tills said, still goes in the back of the car as well!!!!!

Haven’t tried the aerodynamic properties of my arse to date, but don’t really notice any difference when the board bag is strapped onto the Outback!!!!! I actually have the habit of openin the sunroof every half hour to make sure that it’s still strapped on!!!!!  red face

Haha I just noticed how sexual the title of this thread was LOL

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 15 June 2012 10:47 AM

Haha I just noticed how sexual the title of this thread was LOL

lol was wondering who would be the first to pick it.  had my money on mizu!