The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Tutorial: How to wax your snowboard (including video)

We caught up with Yohann from Underground Tuning in Whistler. He takes us through this step-by-step guide for snowboard waxing. Please ask any questions in this thread.

My step-by-step guide can also be found here:
https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/guides/snowboard-waxing/

Some techniques differ but all the principles are the same.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

finally you got you $hit together ay raspberry

Haha wink

I love his accent hahaha LOL
an hiorn haha
you can go boat ways LOL

Awesome vid guys shaka love the music at start and finish too hehe

Nice one. I never really put enough effort into brushing at the end. I should probably wax my scallywag again to get it ready for when I buckle and go to the snow (or August raspberry)

cheers just waxed mine turned out great. used a kmart iron

Can I use something less aggressive for cleaning the base?

Maybe just warm water and detergent?

goose - 07 February 2013 05:10 PM

Can I use something less aggressive for cleaning the base?

Maybe just warm water and detergent?

You could dilute a citrus based cleaner.

Personally if I really need to clean the base I just do a hot scrape.
http://www.slidewright.com/weblog/ski-snowboard/waxing-ski-snowboard/light-hot-scraping/

Just did my first wax job at home last night. i *think* i did a good job? haha

Didn’t have a brush except a metal one but it seemed a bit too hard to use on a base so i’ll buy a brush in the next week or so and re do it before i go down.

I’m using a normal at home iron, i couldn’t seem to get the temp right, i put it down low but it wouldn’t melt the wax, then when i put it up high it would start smoking a bit. I guess ill have to keep readjusting..

When I worked in a hire shop we cleaned using a high pressure cleaner.

whats a good wax to use for Australia’s snow? and is it fine to use a house iron, or just get a proper one?

It’s fine to use a regular household iron, but consider the following:

1. You won’t be able to use it on clothes again, so don’t use an expensive iron.

2. Make sure it has an adjustable temperature dial.

Ideally, a snowboard specific iron is best, but a household iron will do the job.

In regards to wax, Australia gets all kinds of snow conditions, so you’re best getting an “all temp” wax. If you do get a temperature specific wax, I’d recommend you get a cold temp wax; Australian snow can be very hard/icy and abrasive, so a warm (softer) wax would get stripped off the base quickly. If speed is important to you, spend a bit more and go for a fluoro wax. I always use an all temp fluoro wax; maximum speed in all conditions. Otherwise, a standard all temp wax will do the job fine.

cheers mate smile

I just purchased a I just purchased a snowboard iron last night and some all temp fluro wax scraper and all the pieces! Cant wait to give it a go and wax my board before I head up. Hopefully in the next week or two! Commmon snowww!