The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Video Feedback and Critique

had a little go on motion today, wow this is gonna take me awhile to get used to.. its zoo much more complex then fcp, or maybe its just because I’m not used to it yet but its crazy!!

I’ve tried using the tutorial for motion but just couldn’t spend the time (or have the attention) to bother.
A mate of mine learned how to use it properly and I saw him create some cool stuff with it. But it took a long time, time that could have been used more effectively - like shredding or making more money.

Rick0889 - 24 November 2011 01:24 AM

This was my first edit for the Perisher season this year.

gimme as much feedback as possible plz lol

Just watched your edit Rick.

The bad:
Not much of a storyline; the final footage (drinking beer) could have broken up the continuos shredding. With more faces and random footage (like the intro), it would be more watchable.
Audio of the riding would add to it as well. Some “hoots” and “yew’s” or talking to the camera by the riders or yourself since it’s a pov polecam. (I know the GoPro has shocking audio).
Camera angles could be better but this is about editing (again limited by the cam).
The intro should be like a contents page, it sets the scene for whats to come but yours didn’t really deliver that.

The good:
Use of the pov cam to get additional footage (intro) - passing the car, sped up footage.
Edit to the soundtrack (timing) - well done.
Good length (it seemed long because of the unbroken footage of jumps/rails). I felt a need to check how long it was at 2:30.
Great intro!!!!! very well cut.

Keep up the good work.

yeah thanks for the feedback, there is a lot of stuff i can work on for next time. now all we need is some snow :(

I was pretty hard on it. Hope you didn’t get offended.
grin

nah would rather you be hard, only way I’m gonna get better i guess.. just wish there was some snow so i could get cracking on a new video but i have to wait until jan :(

more feedback please!

Some nice editing there, titles were excellent. There were some places the editing could be tighter, volume of music seemed off. Maybe the wrong soundtrack.

In all it felt half done, like I was watching the rush edit. 

What your doing is original, keep at it.

I was expecting this video to have some to camera “interviews” by the riders or the photographer - someone telling us where the track was, what was trying to be achieved. The edit felt simple, but I can see how much effort was put in, for that I applaud what was achieved - you should be proud, room for improvement, it had a nice feel but it was missing something.

spaz - 29 November 2011 10:05 PM
Rick0889 - 24 November 2011 01:24 AM

This was my first edit for the Perisher season this year.

gimme as much feedback as possible plz lol

Agree with Spaz on the story line part- I also couldn’t tell if some of the riders were the same people just wearing different clothes? maybe a name when they first appear? Just a thought anyway. Other then that the only thing I could think of was be harder on which things you cut completely….i.e a few of the same moves by the same rider: chop the worst one or the one that isn’t filmed as well (thats advice I should apply to my own stuff actually haha).

Nice vid, agree with comments above. I would like to also see it build to big trick / best rider / best trick of the edit if you follow me?

OT, but did anyone else find that skull candy thing really sticky? I ate sh;t 2 out of 2 times and then cut it away for the rest of the season…

spaz - 03 May 2012 09:19 AM

Some nice editing there, titles were excellent. There were some places the editing could be tighter, volume of music seemed off. Maybe the wrong soundtrack.

In all it felt half done, like I was watching the rush edit. 

What your doing is original, keep at it.

I was expecting this video to have some to camera “interviews” by the riders or the photographer - someone telling us where the track was, what was trying to be achieved. The edit felt simple, but I can see how much effort was put in, for that I applaud what was achieved - you should be proud, room for improvement, it had a nice feel but it was missing something.

haha yeah it was a rush edit, we did have a few interviews but the sound recording on a dslr are that bad so we decided to scrap it, teacher always tells us to record sound separate and we didn’t have a sound recorder there.

thanks for the feedback spaz and ill keep at it!

AJ2theC - 03 May 2012 10:53 AM

Nice vid, agree with comments above. I would like to also see it build to big trick / best rider / best trick of the edit if you follow me?

OT, but did anyone else find that skull candy thing really sticky? I ate sh;t 2 out of 2 times and then cut it away for the rest of the season…

yeah i remember it getting really bad towards the end of the day!

another edit i whipped together!

More stacks from my mates and i

How good was that opening scene!!!