The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboard and Ski case / bag for air travel

I need a bag that will hold a snowboard (158cm) and a pair of skis (171cm) and all the gear too boots, bindings, polls, est. and will also do a damn good job protecting them during air travel, we all know what happens to luggage when it goes though the airports, i found a few that come top rated on a few sites (listed below) but considering the prices on these i want to make sure i make the right decision the first time plus i don’t wanna find out when im at the airport when the damn thing is falling apart lol

sportube 3 series : i think its damn good design only thing im worried about is the actually construction of the damn thing seems flimsy like its not going to break just detach maybe and all my stuff will fall out, also i read that the plastic housing end up scratching the board on the inside so i don’t know.. also pricey about 170$

Marker Wheeling Ski/Snowboard Hauler Bag : don’t know much about it but it comes recommend and looks like a good design, not sure how it will fit all the stuff that i want to put in it or how it will hold up to airport abuse. about 150$

High Sierra Wheeled Double-decker ski/snowboard bag : looks good to me, also has a separator inside so the skis and snowboard around touching, good design but with the soft cases im worried about what might happen at the airport. also about 170$

I was looking at the burtons bags, but the sizes won’t work for skis that i need to throw in there hmmm

any info or suggestions would be great appreciated.

thank you

Pretty comprehensive response here:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3045/

I like a smaller bag because it is easy to travel with. The sizing on bags is generous i.e. your 171cm ski will fit in a 166cm bag easy.

The more bells and whistles a bag has = more weight.

As long as it’s got wheels you’ll be ok.

i got the burton wheelie gig bag.
166 long and will hold anything and everything you want.

I’m surprised that you guys even bothered usin a bag at all?????
big surprise

I’m a big fan of dakine bags - great build quality. Have a high and low roller. Just upgraded to the High roller last season in whistler and the amount of stuff it can hold is crazy - had to be careful not to exceed the 23kg limit for Air Canada. Have easily fit 2 boards, 2 sets of bindings, 2 pairs of boots along with helmet and 2 lots of outerwear plus more.

Yeah, I got a DaKine (I think its a high roller too)!!!!!!

I’m gonna get buried in it when I go!!!!!

AJ2theC - 06 November 2011 09:33 AM

Pretty comprehensive response here:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3045/

I like a smaller bag because it is easy to travel with. The sizing on bags is generous i.e. your 171cm ski will fit in a 166cm bag easy.

The more bells and whistles a bag has = more weight.

As long as it’s got wheels you’ll be ok.

Thanks for the link, very informative they recommend the button wheelie gig bag but then I hear that Burton’s construction is subpar any thoughts? As for the dakine high roller seems too be the bag of choice

Burton/Gravis quality is great, along with OGIO!!!!!

And seein that ya from the states, DaKine used to (not sure its still the case, now that Billabong own it) give a lifetime warranty for Nth American’s!!!!!

After looking at the Dakine bags the high roller is sweet but damn around 14 lbs, with all my gear, skis and ski boots im going to be pushing that weight right up to that 50lb mark. hmmm not good

considering the weight Im between 2 bags : Dakine Low roller in thinking in a 165 cm,, will I be able to fit the 171 cm skis with the board in there or not really ? the 175cm seems too big but you guys tell me

the other one is the Burton Wheelie Gig Bag in the 166cm same question will it fit the skis and also for anyone out there that might have owned both which on has more room for the other stuff i need to get in there and also which has better padding?

thanx all

You’d be stretched to fit the skis into the 165 - I’ve got one and I can’t imagine it fitting 171cm skis. I think you’d also be stretched to fit both sets of boots in there aswell.

Lester, I could almost guarantee those 171 skis would fit in a Burton 168 board bag. They always make them with at least a few cms extra length. Take the skis into a store and check it out. Burton Wheelie Case or Wheelie Locker would carry all that gear for you. Awesome bags!

Like rider recommends!!!!!

Take the skis into the store and test them out, as you can most likely fit them diagonally in the bag this will also allow for a shorter bag, as well as the fact that rider also points out, there is always slightly extra room in the bag than the denoted bag size says!!!!!! (This usually accounts for the shape of the board/skis, as some companies measure the surface of the board/skis as opposed to the straight line from tip to tail)

The only issue you may have placing them in there diagonally is that it could limit the space for boots and your snowboard bindings. Would also be worth checking airlines luggage restrictions aswell. Most of the time you can get away with it but just make sure that you don’t get caught out.

Dakine hands down.
Dakine does bags… great warrantee program.. they have lifetime on pretty much everything.

Pretty sure this won’t help much, but, just sayin, DEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFs get a bag with wheels, trying to manage large suitcase, carry on suitcase, back pack and bloody heavy snowboard bag sucks pretty bad ay… life is happy with wheels smile

Been meaning to give a update on this but last season i ended up going with Burton Wheelie Gig Bag and it lasted me 4 trips and then the zippers started coming apart thought id share. Recently purchased DAKINE Low Roller Snowboard we see how this one holds up to this season, I was going to buy the High roller one but its got a lot of addons which add on weight and the way I travel I max it to the 50lbs /22 kg weight limit damn near every trip so weight of bag is key well after the quality of course