The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Wristguards

Poll: Do you/would you wear wristguards?
Total Votes: 47
Yes
No
Sometimes
grunge - 21 June 2015 12:50 PM

I am sort of maybe a no wrist guard guy.  (if 1 was no wrist guards and 10 was wristguards all the time, I’d be a 2-3.)

I believe that learning to fall/tuck properly using your forearms is more important to a beginner than putting wrist guards on them.

I do believe there is a place for wristguards for noobs, but if that encourages them to brace/stop a fall with their arms out, then it’s just a bigger break waiting to happen.

It’s just me but I believe in forming good habits rather than rely on equipment that may form a bad habit.

I dunno?????

While I don’t wear them, and most likely won’t until I break a wrist….. I never used to wear a helmet either!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 21 June 2015 02:08 PM

While I don’t wear them, and most likely won’t until I break a wrist….. I never used to wear a helmet either!!!!!

If I follow this logic, does that mean you broke your head??

Mudhoney - 21 June 2015 05:07 PM

Not sure it was fixed to start with?????

Mudhoney - 21 June 2015 05:07 PM

LOL Logic and Mizu used in the same post, NOW I have heard it all LOL

Azz doesn’t wear wrist guards cause he’s strengthened them via daily repetItive exercises!!!!!

I was about to mention you should get back on topic about wristies…...  punch

Azz - 21 June 2015 07:33 PM

I was about to mention you should get back on topic about wristies…...  punch

I just had to go feed the chooks!!!!!

grunge - 21 June 2015 12:50 PM

I believe that learning to fall/tuck properly using your forearms is more important to a beginner than putting wrist guards on them.

I do believe there is a place for wristguards for noobs, but if that encourages them to brace/stop a fall with their arms out, then it’s just a bigger break waiting to happen.

It’s just me but I believe in forming good habits rather than rely on equipment that may form a bad habit.

Talking specifically about novice snowboarders, I’m going to disagree here. There’s a reason why so many novice snowboarders break their wrists early on during their progression.

Their skills are limited; they are just learning to turn (if that). Snowboarding is completely foreign (think back to you first few days on a board). When you catch your edge for the first time, it’s violent and completely unexpected. All it takes is one time to break or sprain a wrist. By the time you teach / they learn good habits in regards to how to fall, the damage is already done. Good habits come with repetition and a level of comfort, which I feel are both greatly lacking when you are first learning.

Better to protect the most vulnerable areas while good habits form. I remember back to my first two days snowboarding; both my wrists were sprained (probably lucky they weren’t broken), my tailbone took a battering, and my head was aching from numerous falls. As I progressed, this stopped happening. But we’re fooling ourselves if we think these things don’t happen early on.

This ^^^^^

Could not of said it better myself Jeremy.

Azz - 21 June 2015 08:46 PM

Could not of said it better myself Jeremy.

I believe you! LOL snake

Thing is, these things can happen at any time!!!!!

Doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or a Pro!!!!!

If Terje can break his ankle offloadin from a chair, then I reckon anyone of us are open to things like broken wrists!!!!!

Like insurance, a pair of wrist guards mittigate the possible damage!!!!!

I also agree.  I still wear gloves with a level of wrist reinforcement built in because while I don’t fall as often as I used to, it does still happen unexpectedly at times eg. trying a new trick, hit a patch of ice, suddenly spot a rock right in front of you.

Just FYI, I also ordered these gloves for the kiddies. Built-in wrist guards.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/dakine-wrist-guard-jr-kids-gloves-black

rider26 - 21 June 2015 08:09 PM

Talking specifically about novice snowboarders, I’m going to disagree here. There’s a reason why so many novice snowboarders break their wrists early on during their progression.

Their skills are limited; they are just learning to turn (if that). Snowboarding is completely foreign (think back to you first few days on a board). When you catch your edge for the first time, it’s violent and completely unexpected. All it takes is one time to break or sprain a wrist. By the time you teach / they learn good habits in regards to how to fall, the damage is already done. Good habits come with repetition and a level of comfort, which I feel are both greatly lacking when you are first learning.

Better to protect the most vulnerable areas while good habits form. I remember back to my first two days snowboarding; both my wrists were sprained (probably lucky they weren’t broken), my tailbone took a battering, and my head was aching from numerous falls. As I progressed, this stopped happening. But we’re fooling ourselves if we think these things don’t happen early on.

I kinda agree with you, which is why I say there’s a place for wrist guards for noobs.

The problem happens when you have a mate like mine and after using wrist guards, makes excuses to not forming good habits.
Sticks out arms every time when falling, but always has a reason why.
I think for someone like that, when it happens it’s going to be BAD.
Don’t even get me started on his counter rotation.
Actually I know a few mates like this.

Likewise, I think we don’t spend enough time conditioning/putting muscle memory in on how to fall.
Maybe I did it different. but the first couple of times snowboarding, I always made a habit of taking a fall a few times to condition my arms and head to go to the right place. (both frontside and backside)
I think I get this out of boxing, you repeat, get that muscle memory happening and it’ll become 2nd instinct. I never have used wrist guard when I was a noob, and never had bad wrist soreness/sprains. (My tailbone is a different story!) But as I said I wouldn’t recommend not using it for everyone, I think as long as people know what they have to “practice,” we should be ok.

But as to what Mizu said, well really an accident is an accident, you can’t prevent one of those and it can happen to anyone.

But as someone to rides a motorbike, it’s all about practice, when you practice emergency stopping on the road as often as you can, when the real deal happens it just reduces the chance of you not being able to cope with it.

That’s where I’m coming from.

I hear you. Valid points. You know I’m always preaching developing good technique/habits. The main point here: wrist guards are beneficial to novice snowboarders. The should use them as long as they are catching edges.