The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Wristguards

Poll: Do you/would you wear wristguards?
Total Votes: 47
Yes
No
Sometimes

wrist guards are essential for beginners because they spend so much falling back onto there wrists, which can cause problems, but once you are more experienced, the amount of times you actually fall straight onto your wrists is pretty low, so its realy a confidence thing and whether they feel comfortable or not

I don’t wear them and they wouldn’t fit under my gloves so I don’t think I will wear them… at least not this year.

If I broke a bone, I’d probably change my mind… but being a stupid 23 year old like I am, it won’t happen till after I do something stupid.

Wearing a helmet is enough for me smile

I’ve never worn them, but I have a friend who does. To be fair, he is a drummer and his wrists are rather important to him. All I do is play soccer. However, I first learnt how to board in Japan and the super soft powder at Niseko probably helped me out a little. As well as my (now) super strong tailbone! cheese

i would apart from the fact that mine don’t go over my gloves, there really tight and the get caught on the inside of my gloves.
but when you starting out i guess its good to wear them.

THREAD BUMMMMMPPPPP

Does anyone have any new knowledge/experience on any new brands of wrist protection or are the flexmeter brand ones still the bees knees?
After my little skateboarding accident the other day, my wrist is still in the healing stage and id hate to fall on it again, which will def happen with my snowboarding style, and ruin my season, so im willing to spend some proper coin to get something that will work and keep me boarding with gusto!! I know with all the roller derbying any ‘larger’ girl with a tattoo seems to be into these days someone must be catering for their wrists and ample stacking, but i also dont want waste my notes on some piece of plastic wrapped to the end of my arm that will do more harm than good.

anyhow thanks in advance you bunch of rapscallions!!

These Dakine wrist guards are the wrist guards I’ve always recommended (and sold a lot of over the years). The other option was RED (Burton) but comparing the two, Dakine is the better product for sure. They are purpose-built for snowboarding; low profile and super comfy to slide under your gloves, and they offer good protection while still allowing movement to avoid the impact breaking bones further up your arm. They are a good balance between comfort, protection, and dexterity (for safety reasons).

They used to sell for approximately $35. Let me know if you want us to order a pair and I’ll see if Dakine has any available in your size.

I wore these ^^^^ every day in whis after I fractured my wrist in aus last season. Although they are pretty uncomfortable in comparison to wearing nothing, when you are proper shredding you almost forget you have them on.

Hot tip. Make sure you have big enough gloves to accommodate the extra volume of the guards otherwise it makes for a shit experience trying to get gloves on/off.

I don’t wear wristguards now. but When I was learning I wore them, and after I broke my wrist I wore them for the rest of that season. they just seem to get in the way of reaching into my pockets for a snack or my phone… I just learn’t how to fall properly and haven’t had problems since.
That said if wristguards were slim enough and flexible enough, I would consider them for when I’m riding park.

tracvks - 20 May 2014 05:24 PM

I wore these ^^^^ every day in whis after I fractured my wrist in aus last season. Although they are pretty uncomfortable in comparison to wearing nothing, when you are proper shredding you almost forget you have them on.

Hot tip. Make sure you have big enough gloves to accommodate the extra volume of the guards otherwise it makes for a shit experience trying to get gloves on/off.

That’s a good point. While these are quite slim and low profile, they still do take up some volume in your glove. So if your gloves are already snug, it would make things difficult and you might need to upsize your gloves.

rider26 - 20 May 2014 05:18 PM

These Dakine wrist guards are the wrist guards I’ve always recommended (and sold a lot of over the years). The other option was RED (Burton) but comparing the two, Dakine is the better product for sure. They are purpose-built for snowboarding; low profile and super comfy to slide under your gloves, and they offer good protection while still allowing movement to avoid the impact breaking bones further up your arm. They are a good balance between comfort, protection, and dexterity (for safety reasons).

They used to sell for approximately $35. Let me know if you want us to order a pair and I’ll see if Dakine has any available in your size.

These.

I used to wear these all the time when learning and have bought a number of pairs for a number of people.

Highly suggest you invest in a pair and ACTUALLY wear them*.

* I took a beginner out with me in ‘12. Fell getting off a chair lift on to ice, broke his wrist.

Me - Where are your wrist guards?
Him - In your car.

There’s no point in getting the safety gear if you aren’t going to actually use it.

I broke a wrist getting back into skating, so when I got back on snow I found I had to wear wrist guards to stop myself from damaging it again.

I can tell you that if you have the right wrist guards (ie the Dakine guards above or the RED guards) you can fit them under almost any glove if you try hard enough.

I kept wearing them for ages after my wrist healed because I found occasionally I would still have a hard fall and feel the wrist guard save me (I dropped from a 22ft half pipe to flat once, landed right on one wrist with all my body weight and they still saved my ass).
It doesn’t have to happen a lot, it only has to happen once shut eye  believe me!

I didn’t wear them last season because I forgot to pack them. That let me realise that I don’t actually fall on my wrists any more. But that’s about 11 seasons later.

If you have skated all your life (and don’t have wrist problems because of it) then maybe you don’t need them. If not, I highly recommend them.

ive skated all my life and defiantly have problems because of it. It seems like these dakine ones might be the go. I cant find any flexmeter ones in oz anyhow.

I actually bought some wrist guards a few weeks ago. I’ve already got bad wrists due to rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel so anything that’s going to limit further damage sounds good to me. Wish I’d seen those dakine ones before I bought mine!

I am sort of maybe a no wrist guard guy.  (if 1 was no wrist guards and 10 was wristguards all the time, I’d be a 2-3.)

I believe that learning to fall/tuck properly using your forearms is more important to a beginner than putting wrist guards on them.

I do believe there is a place for wristguards for noobs, but if that encourages them to brace/stop a fall with their arms out, then it’s just a bigger break waiting to happen.

It’s just me but I believe in forming good habits rather than rely on equipment that may form a bad habit.