The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who has been to Hawaii? Surfed there?

Michelle and I will be going to a friend’s wedding in Hawaii next May. We have decided to spend some extra time there so we can travel around and go surfing - something I have always wanted to do. The wedding is in Maui but we don’t mind moving around a bit.

Just want to hear from anyone who has travelled to Hawaii before. Where did you stay? What would you recommend? Where did you go surfing? Does it cost much to hire surfboards? Any and all information is most appreciated.

cool smile

never been there… sounds soooooo good though!!!!

next boardworld prize is an all expenses paid surf trip to Hawaii???

siiiiick!

Gamblor - 20 June 2011 09:23 AM

next boardworld prize is an all expenses paid surf trip to Hawaii???

siiiiick!

We don’t HAVE to go with Jeremy and Michelle but???? Do we????  hmmm

Stayed there for a month years ago on the north shore, wont be getting any swell up that side in May unless you’re very lucky though!

Alright Jez, I’m giving the thread some new life! Anyone been to hawaii recently!? I’m heading there in december with the gf, most likely Oahu for a few days, mayb 4 and then considering flying to the big island for another 4 days. We intend to hire a car both islands and happy to float around, looking at accomodation and stuff to do, including but not limited to sky diving, kayaking, hiking a volcano, surfing and generally hanging out.

Yes my dates coincide with the pipe masters and yes i will hopefully see a little bit of it maybe?! fingers crossed.

Cheers for your input people!

Hey guys,
I might head to Hawaii in the beginning of November…
Any tips?

-I’m 28 (but 24-25 at heart)
-Traveling alone (would want to stay at a nice backpacker for that reason)
-Beginner level surfer, would like to have some instruction
-Want to hang out with fun people and have some drinks for sure.

Henrik, do go check out the north shore but if you do decide to go surfing check the forecast and make sure there is no big swell due to arrive and watch the surf for about 15mins prior to paddling out. There can be some long waits between sets there so take your time, watch it and make sure you’re comfortable with the size. When I say check the forecast I mean because swells hit there fast, one minute is 2 foot and within an hour or so it’s twice the size and still building.

Other than that rhe south shore is a good place to learn but board hire runs at about $50 a day so you might be better off taking your own board. Be warned though there is a surfboard tax on the buses from the airport for every board you have not just how many boardbags. That one pissed me off hard.

Don’t have my own board! Think I’m going to go to Maui as well.. Anyone have any suggestions for decent, not-too-noisy backpackers both on Ouahu and Maui?