The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Easiest mountain access from Brisbane

Hi all,
        bit of a broad question but what mountain is easiest to access from Brisbane
Will likely be travelling with my wife and 2 kids (maybe without kids)

Nil preference with Sydney or Melbourne. Most resorts seem to be a few hours away from the major airports in each state. Would definitely be flying and likely hiring a car

Any resorts have on mountain accommodation as my research to date hasn’t been too fruitful. If not, I know a few resorts have coach/bus/train transfers but unsure how easy these are to access

Cheers in advance for any help

Brad

Have you considered NZ and hiring a car?

cords - 06 January 2018 12:41 PM

Have you considered NZ and hiring a car?

Great option!

When looking at NZ/Vic/NSW mountains it really comes down to the type of holiday you want.  Your travel time is going to be fairly similar either way.  A shorter flight (Sydney) involves a longer drive to Perisher/Thredbo (~5 hrs), a longer flight to Melbourne has Buller (~3 hrs), Hotham & Falls (~4 hrs) whereas the longest flight to NZ (3.5 hrs assuming Queenstown) means you can be up at Coronet or Remarks in 30-40 mins or if you stay in Wanaka, 40-50 mins for Cardrona & TC.

Another thing to consider is the accommodation bit. Both NSW & Vic have great towns close to the resorts (Jindabyne & Bright) but also have some great on-mountain options.  I’ve done Falls a few times the past couple of years and I have to say when you have kids in tow, staying on mountain in ski-in/out accomms is really convenient. Walk out, strap in and be at the lifts in a couple of minutes to get the kids to their lessons - reduces the stress a lot.  Queenstown & Wanaka resorts don’t have on-mountain accomms (except Cardrona which is minimal self-contained units) which means you’re doing the up & down hire car shuffle (or getting a bus).

They’re all good options!

Thanks guys for the fast responses

At this stage i’ll be taking them to Mt Hutt and staying in Methven as it seems the cheapest option currently

I’d wanted to avoid doing NZ due to the cost of getting them passports but it appears the way to go.