Canada Mega Thread - 2017 /2018 edition

Thanks for the tips guys! I did speak with TWHC after what you said and they have told me they were at capacity after June interviews however they are doing a second round of interviews in August as WB have come back and said they need more F&B staff. So after what you’ve said, I’m really not sure what to believe! I did mention I didn’t want to be a dishy or something like that, but they mentioned food & bev cashier jobs are available, for example.

Getting there in October isn’t an issue for me to make it for the Oct/Nov job fair and I am happy to travel for a bit to fill the time until November, however I’m just stressing out a bit over the accom situation and ideally I would like to start off working for WB. Just hope I haven’t left my run too late with everything!

@tammy22 It’s a tough one. Is food and bev cashier something you’d like to do? If not, I’d go to the job fair. If you’d be interested in that then go for it.

Unfortunately for yourself, you’ve stuck all your eggs in the fullest basket so it might be wise to suck it up and take something rather than being disappointed. If you don’t mind the idea of going early to the job fair and then if it doesn’t pan out, going to another mountain for their job fair and making some new awesome friends, you can definitely get something that may be a bit more involved or fun than standing at a register for 5 hour shifts.

But it’s up to you to make that choice, I don’t want to be the one to sway you either way.

TJswish - 14 July 2017 03:08 PM

@tammy22 It’s a tough one. Is food and bev cashier something you’d like to do? If not, I’d go to the job fair. If you’d be interested in that then go for it.

Unfortunately for yourself, you’ve stuck all your eggs in the fullest basket so it might be wise to suck it up and take something rather than being disappointed. If you don’t mind the idea of going early to the job fair and then if it doesn’t pan out, going to another mountain for their job fair and making some new awesome friends, you can definitely get something that may be a bit more involved or fun than standing at a register for 5 hour shifts.

But it’s up to you to make that choice, I don’t want to be the one to sway you either way.

Thanks heaps. I’m keen to get there in early October and just give it a shot and see how I go with landing a job and accom. Totally understand there’s a risk with Whistler as the most popular choice, and I am happy to try my luck with another mountain if Whistler doesn’t work out. I haven’t done much research on the others, but are there any you’d recommend?

Really appreciate the frank advice!

Red would probably be my number 1 to work at after doing seasons. Because they pay higher and the mountain is amazing. The party scene is a lot less though. Due to the higher pay though people tend to keep returning so getting a job is harder.

If you want steep and deep terrain, any of Revelstoke, Fernie or Kicking horse would be awesome

If you want a party town atmosphere like Whistler, go to Banff or on a smaller scale, Big White, Fernie or Revelstoke

If you want good staff accom, look at Sun Peaks or Panorama (Silverstar has some too but it’s dorm rooms which isn’t as nice as the other 2).

All of the mountains are really special in their own way, and these are my personal preferences. If they don’t work out, some of the smaller resorts like Apex or Manning park can be awesome too since you end up with a special sort of small community but the mountains aren’t nearly as big.

hey fellas,

top job with the threads uve got here. definitely a lot clearly and easier to read.

Just curious if you know of any landlords in big white or banff? Ive been regularly sussing out craiglists, kijiji, Facebook pages and what not, all coming up empty or just missing out.

Cheers

It’s generally easier to get a place closer to the date. Unfortunately I haven’t lived in either of those towns to be any help but when I moved to Fernie I just stayed in the hostel for a week at the start of November and just looked every few hours and applied for all the non-overpriced places.

Maybe there is a real estate agent in town that could help too?