The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Yes typo 2018 or salomon assassin 2018

Hey everyone.

I’m new here, just posted in the intro thread.

Just getting into snowboarding, have never done it before. Have always wanted to and do love gravity sports.

I have some burton moto 2017 boots on layby, size 10.5, footprint of a 9.5 apparently?

Bindings I’m leaning towards getting some salomon rhythm 2017. So far they seem to be the only bindings that match the burton moto boot flex I’ve come across.

And finally, after a lot of reading about boards and reading reviews. I’m down to a yes typo 2018 or salomon assassin 2018. Looking at the 152cm in either, I’m about 176cm and around 66kg. Basically want a decent all mountain board that will be decent to start out on but still be a sweet board once I’ve got the hang of it and won’t leave my stuck to areas i may end up not preferring.

Looking forward for some feedback of some people with experience unlike myself haha.

Hosie.

Just ended up ordering a yes typo 152 2018 and a pair of flux rk 2016 bindings from the shop on here smile one of few bindings with the flex I’m after to match the boots.

And, after not much more info reading my mind was made up on the yes typo haha.

Hosie88 - 05 June 2017 09:32 PM

Just ended up ordering a yes typo 152 2018 and a pair of flux rk 2016 bindings from the shop on here smile one of few bindings with the flex I’m after to match the boots.

And, after not much more info reading my mind was made up on the yes typo haha.

Great call, @Hosie88!

Sorry I didn’t see this thread sooner. I’m stoked you found the info you were looking for. The Typo is a great board, and you get a lifetime warranty which is rad.

Welcome to the community! shaka

All good. And glad to hear that I’ll love the typo ?

Typo is a really rad board and until they make a Greats in a wide i’ll be sticking with it. I’ve flogged mine for 2 seasons now and the bottom has more ptex than base now (not really but it has a lot of war wounds). Last year i was dropping bare rocks in spring as i just didn’t care. I literally couldn’t kill it, such an awesome all round board, so much fun.

Haha nice. I did consider the jackpot, but being new to the sport and not knowing what sort of boarding I’ll prefer i went with the typo being all mountain.

Also got my young bloke a burton after school setup that he’s getting for his birthday in a couple weeks. Needles to say, he’s very excited to take up snowboarding and is hoping he gets one for his birthday smile

The Typo rips everywhere man, in the park, on the groomers, off piste, ground tricks, hitting natural features etc etc it’s just an all round fun board, you will love it!

Awesome to hear. Happy as with my decision and even more so when i keep hearing nothing but good about the typo smile

Jake - 01 July 2017 01:33 PM

Typo is a really rad board and until they make a Greats in a wide i’ll be sticking with it. I’ve flogged mine for 2 seasons now and the bottom has more ptex than base now (not really but it has a lot of war wounds). Last year i was dropping bare rocks in spring as i just didn’t care. I literally couldn’t kill it, such an awesome all round board, so much fun.

@Jake, have you considered the Standard? It’s the most similar to the Greats, comes in wider widths, and it absolutely rips! For example, the Greats 156 has a 251mm waist but the Standard 156 has a 258mm waist; perfect for the big but not huge boot sizes. It has the same bamboo+poplar core, same base, same CamRock profile; the main difference is the Greats is an Asymmetrical Twin while the Standard is a Directional Volume Twin. The 2018 Standard also has the new backseat inserts for ripping deep pow.

rider26 - 03 July 2017 05:42 AM
Jake - 01 July 2017 01:33 PM

@Jake, have you considered the Standard? It’s the most similar to the Greats, comes in wider widths, and it absolutely rips! For example, the Greats 156 has a 251mm waist but the Standard 156 has a 258mm waist; perfect for the big but not huge boot sizes. It has the same bamboo+poplar core, same base, same CamRock profile; the main difference is the Greats is an Asymmetrical Twin while the Standard is a Directional Volume Twin. The 2018 Standard also has the new backseat inserts for ripping deep pow.

@rider26 I did look at the Standard just the waist width worries me, ive got my boots down to a size 12 now from a 13 with a much smaller footprint but even then when I am doing big toeside carves I am still getting toe drag on the Typo which has a width of 258mm also. I can deal with it on the Typo as I mainly just jib around with it and don’t carve that hard. Waist width is the only thing that worries me with the Standard as I will ride it differently to the Typo (ride harder)

@Jake, fair call on the 156 with your riding style and size 12 boots. What size board would you get, though? I know you’re a tall fella, haha! Just FYI the Standard 159 has a 263mm waist width, which is “wide” by any standard.

rider26 - 03 July 2017 10:21 AM

@Jake, fair call on the 156 with your riding style and size 12 boots. What size board would you get, though? I know you’re a tall fella, haha! Just FYI the Standard 159 has a 263mm waist width, which is “wide” by any standard.

@rider26  yeh 6’5” haha, the Typo is a 156 and i enjoy the length and being able to throw it around. 263mm is fine but i wonder about the length of a 159 for a resort board, i used to ride 159 in resort but love the 156 now. My split is only 159 and that does feel long and super stable at speed, but thats what i want in a split haha. I still want to be able to throw a resort board around, maybe i’ve progressed a lot as a rider in the last 2 years and a 159 wont even make much difference to me, i dunno haha

I gave my old Gnu Park Pickle 159 a go in spring last year when we were rock hopping but i went and got the Typo back out as it just felt horrible.

@Hosie88  sorry for hijacking your thread mate

Personally, I think the 159 is perfectly suitable and would even up the ante of your shredding. How much do you weigh?

rider26 - 03 July 2017 10:39 AM

Personally, I think the 159 is perfectly suitable and would even up the ante of your shredding. How much do you weigh?

75-79 depending how much backcountry i’m doing haha. I’d say usually 75 as that’s my lean weight.

Jake - 03 July 2017 10:55 AM
rider26 - 03 July 2017 10:39 AM

75-79 depending how much backcountry i’m doing haha. I’d say usually 75 as that’s my lean weight.

@Jake, in my opinion, you’re good to step up to the 159. With all the backcountry riding you’ve been doing, your skills have progressed considerably since you purchased the Typo. It will feel bigger at first but you’ll be able to adjust quickly. Use this to your advantage… you’ll be able to ride harder and faster using a more technical approach. Use the skills you’ve acquired to step up your riding on a faster and more energetic board. At 6"4, you have all the leverage you need to make it work.