The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking to upgrade to a newer board

Hey Guys
I’m looking to upgrade to a newer board this season, I’ve had so many different shops offer me different boards and just confused lol.
So I mainly ride in Victoria but do the odd trip to NZ also planning on heading to whistler next year but happy to purchase another board to suit that when I go if I can’t find something to suit both.
Basically I’m currently riding a Ride DH 2008, happy with the board but I’m wanting something to have a bit more fun with, something with more flex that I can have a bit of fun with, hit the park if I want to but also head down the mountain on, so pretty much an all round board with a bit of flex.
I’ve been suggested a list of boards:

Libtech Skate Banana
Capita Indoor Survival
Capita Outdoor Living
Capita Ultra Fear
K2 WWW
Yes Basic
Never Summer West

I just want a bit more advice before I make a decision…

I’m 72kg 176cm etc pretty confident going down most runs in Vic ??

Look forward to hearing from you

Hi @Rydin, welcome to the forums,

Your board choices are very random, are you checking reviews or just choosing from what people have told you or graphics?

For example, you have $800 plus boards in the Lib Tech, Capita and Neversummer which are top of the line boards then you got a super flexy park board in the K2 and the bottom of the range Basic YES board.

Then you got multiple camber patterns like Full reverse banana, Flat or low camber in the Capitas and the K2, Hybrid camber in the YES and Hybrid Rocker in the Neversumer

———————-

For your actual board specs, for someone your weight you probably want a low to mid 150s board. If you’re planning to take it to Whistralia in the off season, I’d probably aim closer to 155 though as the big mountain runs and the Whis Powder can really destroy your legs if you’re on a board too small.

If you’re aiming for all mountain / park, I’d definitely be looking at the YES Public (which is currently on sale in the BW store) https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-public-154-snowboard or out of the ones you posted, I’d be more inclined to suggest one of the Capitas (the indoor survival this year looks good) or the Neversummer (which a few of my friends have and love).

Why I would choose these is that the Lib Tech and K2 are too park orientated and it’s clear you want to still ride the actual mountains too, the YES board while still awesome is bottom of the line and for the price it’s worth getting a better quality board like the Public or the Greats (I have the Greats on order at the moment, pretty excited) and the other Capitas while good probably won’t be as good for your type of riding.

————————

Either way, with whatever you choose, definitely hit up @rider26  here as he has some of this years boards that just aren’t on the store yet and can often do some decent deals for the people here on the forums. He might also have a few suggestions of his own which could help you out.

TJswish - 22 May 2017 10:27 AM

Hi @Rydin, welcome to the forums,

Your board choices are very random, are you checking reviews or just choosing from what people have told you or graphics?

For example, you have $800 plus boards in the Lib Tech, Capita and Neversummer which are top of the line boards then you got a super flexy park board in the K2 and the bottom of the range Basic YES board.

Then you got multiple camber patterns like Full reverse banana, Flat or low camber in the Capitas and the K2, Hybrid camber in the YES and Hybrid Rocker in the Neversumer

———————-

For your actual board specs, for someone your weight you probably want a low to mid 150s board. If you’re planning to take it to Whistralia in the off season, I’d probably aim closer to 155 though as the big mountain runs and the Whis Powder can really destroy your legs if you’re on a board too small.

If you’re aiming for all mountain / park, I’d definitely be looking at the YES Public (which is currently on sale in the BW store) https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-public-154-snowboard or out of the ones you posted, I’d be more inclined to suggest one of the Capitas (the indoor survival this year looks good) or the Neversummer (which a few of my friends have and love).

Why I would choose these is that the Lib Tech and K2 are too park orientated and it’s clear you want to still ride the actual mountains too, the YES board while still awesome is bottom of the line and for the price it’s worth getting a better quality board like the Public or the Greats (I have the Greats on order at the moment, pretty excited) and the other Capitas while good probably won’t be as good for your type of riding.

————————

Either way, with whatever you choose, definitely hit up @rider26  here as he has some of this years boards that just aren’t on the store yet and can often do some decent deals for the people here on the forums. He might also have a few suggestions of his own which could help you out.

Thanks for you help man, So basically i did the round to all the shops around Melbourne pretty much told what I’ve written above and wrote down what they told me and basically that the list they’ve come up with, I’m now looking for some help to narrow it down or to find an un-biased opinion? Ill sms out the Indoor Survival, Yes Public and the Never Summer West

I have just found a YES Public for $300, 152 CM

Welcome to Boardworld, @Rydin!

I just saw your PM. Will reply now. ?