The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

(another) Choosing my first board thread.

This is my first season snowboarding and I’m loving it. I live in LA and have spent the past two weekends at Big Bear (Snow Summit). I’ve enjoyed it so much that I went ahead and bought a season pass for the year. The plan is to hit up Mammoth next month and then next season make it out to Big Bear (groomers) at least one weekend per month with a trip or two to better places like Mammoth. Based on the grading scales I’ve seen online I’m high beginner to low intermediate. Thus far I’ve been on Burton LTR/Progression rentals between 150-156cm. I can heel toe all the way down the greens and blues but still lots of skidding and stopping along the way. I have an interest in smaller jumps and stuff as I get better but don’t see myself being as into rails and stuff.

I’ve decided that I’m ready to invest in a board instead of throwing money at rentals and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me narrow down my selection. Any boards you think are a better fit or any boards that are probably not a good fit for me?

I’m 5’10 and 130lbs. Here’s the list. Sorry its a bit long.
K2 Raygun
Arbor Element
Yes Basic
Yes Typo
Yes The Greats
Burton Process Flying V
Ride Machete
Marhar Regent
Rome Mod Rocker

Howdy @yourfavorite!!!!!

Pretty straightforward call from me!!!!!

YES Basic, or if you have that little bit extra cash go for the Typo!!!!!

They have a great profile to further your love of snowboarding!!!!!

Welcome to Boardworld (and snowboarding), @yourfavorite! ?

That list includes quite a diverse range of boards. If I had to pick based on your ability level, I would steer you towards the YES. Basic (or Typo) as @Mizu Kuma also suggested. The Basic offers great value and it’s a super fun and versatile board to ride. It also has a lifetime warranty.

I really like the Arbor Element as well. The profile is a different to the Basic and Typo, being full rocker (the YES. boards are CamRock). It’s a versatile, easy-to-ride board, also offering great value.

The Rome Mod Rocker is pretty epic, but it’s one of the more expensive boards on the market due to the high-end materials. It’s a great board, though!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks guys! Finally found a deal on some random site online and pulled the trigger on a Yes Basic 152cm, Burton Cartels and Burton Concords. Excited to give them a go next month.