The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What POW board to pick

Hey everyone I’m an Aussie that’s been living over in Ontario Canada for the last 7 years. I’m looking to get a short, wide powder board that’s great in the trees, awesome for japow trips, and can still handle groomers and hard pack when cruising the resort looking for powder stashes and trees runs. I’ve been eyeing up the 17/18 versions of the Yes 420 148, Yes 20/20 150, and the Jones Storm Chaser 142 or 147. I know a lot you guys have ridden/own these boards and just wanted to get some feedback on what you guys would suggest as video reviews don’t do these beauties much justice.

Some stats about myself. I’m 180cms, come in around 57kgs and have an 11.5 size boot. I currently own an Arbor Clovis 157, Arbor coda rocker 156, and a Burton flight attendant 156 which I might look at selling seeing since I got the Clovis I’ve been in love with it and haven’t touched the flight attendant.

If you guys have any suggestions based on the boards I’m looking at and what I currently have, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Welcome to Boardworld, @Paulvond!

Personally, I got myself a YES. 20/20 150 this season (riding Whistler) which I absolutely love. It floats incredibly well in both directions, is super fun on the groomers, and rides switch perfectly as it’s a true twin. For me, it ticks all the boxes.

If you’re looking at something directional, both the other two boards you mentioned would serve you well. I’d pick the Storm Chaser, personally, as it’s epic! You would need the 142 size (this is actually the size Jeremy Jones rides). It rides like a much bigger board!

Please let me know if you have any specific questions

Hey @rider26

Thanks for the feedback I was kinda leaning towards the storm chaser and 420 for their directional shape because I don’t ride switch much at all. I’m really digging the storm chaser because we do get quite a mix of conditions over here especially in the trees where we can get some pretty icy patches and I know the mild magnetraction will help out there. My main question with the storm chaser is how it handles in the trees especially when things get tight? I’ve found a lot of people saying the 420 is great in tight trees but haven’t seen much on the storm chaser, they seem to talk more about how well it carves on groomers which is another thing that appeals to me with the storm chaser.

The Storm Chaser 142 is actually shorter and narrower than the 420 148. It’s going to be super nimble in the trees. Yes, it carves well, but it is super nimble and floats amazingly well. It would be epic in the trees!

Sweet looks like I’ll be adding a storm chaser to the quiver next season. Gonna have to get in early to find one before they’re sold out, I know they were pretty hard to find early in the season this year.

Thanks again for the advice @rider26 appreciate it.

No worries at all, @Paulvond. ?

Hey @Paulvond - thanks for your interest in YES. & JONES.  As I am the aus/nz rep for both brands, I can happily offer some info & feedback. 

Like @rider26  I am also a huge fan of the YES. 20/20 for shredding EVERYTHING (it works great on piste, and also in pow), but it is certainly designed for the TWIN loyal rider, who enjoys riding switch wherever possible.

I am also a big fan of the YES. 420, in fact I rode the new 145cm size in Colorado last month, and I seriously loved it!  It might well be my new daily driver for everywhere/everything in both aus & abroad, as it is super versatile and handled everything with absolute ease (including very firm early morning groomers), but worth noting is that I am very short, kinda heavy, with size 8 feet.  It also rides very well switch, due to it being only set back 10mm, and it only has a small amount of taper as well. 

But .... as I have not aged as gracefully as I would have hoped (I find myself riding less switch and virtually no park anymore, due to injuries) I must admit that the Jones Storm Chaser is an incredible board for FR’ing.  It handles groomers & ice easily, floats effortlessly in POW, and due to its taper (and it’s super manoeuvrable rocker profile) it is also very easy to handle in super tight trees.  Its a hard board to fault actually .... Except for riding switch of course, which is a bit hairy on anything but a perfect groomer!!

HOWEVER,
One Last Board To Consider Though ... THE YES. OPTIMISTIC.  This board is a true standout for me, at everything.  I own one (in a 151), and trust when I say that it handles effortlessly in deep snow and tight trees, rails on groomers / ice (due to the famed ‘under bite technology’) and actually rides park very well to (it carves switch well, but isn’t ideal for riding rails / jumps switch!).  So I think you should definitely add this one to the consideration list. 

Thanks Again - and let me know if you need any more info / advise!

Hey @amine

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I actually just got the last 142 storm chaser from boardworld. Couldn’t pass up the price for such a great board especially while I’m here in AUS visiting right now. Now I’ve just gotta hope we have some snow back home when I get back there in March so I don’t have to wait a year to use this beauty haha.

Thanks again Jeremy for hooking me up with the board, it just arrived today. Can’t wait to get on it.

Hey @Paulvond  SUPER Stoked to here it!  You will love it I promise, even if there is no POW, it loves slush & groomers!

ENJOY!!  And thanks for the support!