The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

PYL / Optimistic / AFrame

Managed to save a bunch of money by booking a bunch of Japan accommodation through AirBnB, enough that I can actually get a new board for the trip.

I’m looking at getting something that will be better in the powder than my super flexy 156 Funslinger, but also something that will be good for back home. I have my Funslinger for goofing off in the park and off-piste, but it’s not so fun when it’s firm/icy or I want to go fast and carve. So the new board should be great for that.

I’m looking at the PYL, Optimistic, or the Arbor AFrame. I most like the look of the PYL, but 2016 AFrames are pretty darn cheap. Thoughts?

Unless you love straight lining, I wouldn’t go for the A frame. Stiff full camber with a huge sidecut radius means it only really comes alive at speed, whereas the PYL and Optimistic are much more rideable for all conditions and styles. I’m biased because the Optimistic is the deck I’m most curious about and craving, as I have a Flight Attendant which is similar enough to the PYL. Really either would work great for you, I’d lean towards the Optimistic for powder float, agility, and carving specifically, the PYL being no slouch for those either but I see it being a bit more freeride focused (having a tail to land on for cliff drops etc is nice…)

Hey @Zarb  & @Phedder  - stoked on your interest in the OPTIMISTIC & the PYL - they are literally my two favourite boards in the YES. line!

So .... I own an OPTIMISTIC 151, and its nothing short of amazing.    Its perfectly at home on the groomers and around the resort (has a nice deep sidecut, making it super turny), it rides switch great (as it is actually has no setback), but it also handles POW of any depth (due to its extra waist width, &, extended nose outline).  The edge tech (our beloved ‘underbite’) means that it grips effortlessly to the snow even when its icy, and the core technology (the carbon powerdrive) means it is ultra responsive from edge to edge even though it is quite a wide board.  I am yet to find a situation where it hasn’t excelled.  I even got a 30cm pow day at Thredbo on it…..it really was so so so good in pow, but also in the variable snow conditions, and ofcourse it loved high speed carving down the SuperTrail. 

Having said all that, the PYL is a great board as well, and if it was offered in a shorter length (as I am stupidly short) then this would be easily my deck of choice .... and here is why;
- I love tapered & directional boards (and as I get older and my hips / back get worse, I find myself riding less switch every year)
- I LOVE the directional underbite edge technology (as it allows you to ride a tapered board, but still get the ‘drive’ out of turns that a twin board delivers)
- the core on the PYL uses slightly lighter & softer core (it has a larger amount paulownia in it) than the OPTIMISTIC (so its a bit more more user friendly for my weight / height / ability) but it still has our carbon powerdrive tech as well so its very powerful.

So take pleasure in knowing that their are no bad choices in the above two YES. models - but worth noting is that it will probably be easier to find a PYL than a OPTIMISTIC right now, as stock is getting very thin!

Let me know if you need any more advise.  And MANY THANKS for supporting YES.

I’ve was on one of the older PYL models last winter. It was the last one before the underbite edges were added, so I can’t speak on how that handles. But I love it. It friggin charges. I like the stiffness, you can blast through chunder after everything has been tracked and it stays quite balanced and stable. It feels surefooted in the steep stuff.
Only time I have felt it’s lacking is during the exit of fast heelside carves on hard groomers. It has let go on me a (very )few times, that could be down to the taper, or my technique, or both. But you’re not looking at this board to ride groomers, you’re only riding those to get from stash a to stash b.
It’s pretty dang good in pow.