The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Can someone help me with Buying / Insurance Cars in USA / California?

Hey guys,

I’ll move this to travel once it’s been seen a bit but can anyone assist me with the option of buying a car in San Francisco and Insuring it. Then driving to Canada and back over the course of the season and selling it in San Fran before leaving? @cords, I know you’ve had a car over there before, can you help?

I’m thinking this because:
1. I can get a good flight with Air NZ to San Fran from Sydney. It’s also shorter than getting to Vancouver.
2. Cars seem to be really cheap for newer models or decent cars.
3. I can check out new places on the way (San Fran / Yosemite / Portland)
4. Insurance isn’t anywhere near as bad as BC. $600 USD vs $1300 CAD

What I need to know:
1. Can I buy a car and insure it without a physical address?
2. How do you do this?
3. Does anyone know if there is a time limit that a USA purchased car can be driven in Canada before someone makes a fuss?

What I need to know:
1. Can I buy a car and insure it without a physical address?
2. How do you do this?
3. Does anyone know if there is a time limit that a USA purchased car can be driven in Canada before someone makes a fuss?

1. Short answer is no.
We got some mail delivered to my friend’s address in Washington DC…i think it might have even been an insurance quote? But I can’t remember….and then took that to the dmv to register it..and then even then we were lucky to get away with it…sometimes the dmv is like a lottery and your result depends on which person serves you.
Got any family/friends in the US?
Also, I know that California the rules for rego are stricter!
Sorry to be a Debbie downer!

Thanks Cords,

I know I can do it in Vancouver but I figured a $1500 car in SF is similar to a $4000 car in Van (even if it’s closer once the conversion rate kicks in…)

I have a friend in LA but that might be a bit far to get a car…

Just buy a car in LA and extend the road trip a bit! wink

My friend lives in SF

I maybe could see if they could help you?

Without doubt one of the greatest ways to see the States.

I reckon I’ve owned at least 20 cars during my various visits. Got pulled over many times and never had a problem. I always bought cars legit from dealers or private but never worried about officially putting them into my name or anything. Just make sure you get the correct papers upon purchase (google this if not sure). It is really important to make sure the ‘tags’ on the plate are current.

Just be honest with the cops if you get pulled over and you won’t have a problem. I usually found that the cops were stoked on the little adventure I was having and were fully supportive. Just tell them you are planning to sell it at the other end or whatever you have planned.

They are way more lax on road rules than we are here.

Here’s a challenge. Search online for something that you like the look of and looks good to go, preferably located near the AP.  After you successfully negotiate them down at least 20% (international rule of the internet), tell them you’ll sling them an extra $20 to meet you at the AP to do the deal.

Sounds all well and good AJ but I’ll be in North America for 6 months. Not worth the issues that could potentially arise with buying a car online without seeing / driving it and any insurance hassles for trying to get by without actually having the car in my name.

———————————

From my mate Phil who just bought a car in California and is driving all around the US for 6 months.

Right, apologies for the delay, but NYC has been keeping me busy and blowing my mind for the past week… Love this place!

Ok so as for buying a car in Cali…  I guess insurance is the biggest “hurdle” purely because of cost.. It’s fairly prohibitive in our experience. We had to do it short notice so we could secure the van we wanted.. But it was pretty easy process

We just called a handful of insurance brokers in Los Angeles when we were there and found someone who could help.
They used our Western Australian license, need the details of the van like VIN number etc. (and some photos) and also and address.

For an address, if you don’t have one I think quite often people just use the sellers address. Sometimes they can be obliging. I’ve heard it been done before

In terms of cost, so we paid $1400 US for full insurance for 6 months. (Included a $250 brokerage fee)

But we just had to get it done. 

Then in California you also need to have a smog check completed in the past 90 days before you can compete change of ownership and register it. This is 100% sellers responsibility and should always be done before you buy. Always ask if it’s done if not the seller usually get it done if you are a serious buyer.

Aaaahhhh final step is to go to DMV (if you can get out of the city as lines can be very long….)

But you’ll need
- address again
- smog certificate
- copy of insurance
- transfer papers (seller signs and gives you)

DMV then register your car in your name and you are away!

Side note: once the transfer paper is sort the liability if car is totally on you. In essence if it blows up the next day you have pretty much no recourse to hit the seller up. So make sure you get a pre purchase inspection done on any car prior to purchase. Most mechanics do this for a small fee (no more than $50), and you will likely have to pay. But it’s a good Insurance.

So overall it sounds quite do-able but I have to put in the effort to get it done. @ozgirl I have another friend’s friend in San Fran too so maybe I can ask both if I decide to go this path. I’m a bit worried that $1400 for insurance (more like $2000 AUD with exchange) is going to be prohibitive compared to $1300 CAD in Vancouver but then again the cars are much better than the Canadian equiv…

I can always fly into San Fran and then if the car thing falls through, get a last minute flight or bus to Vancouver and buy a car there.

TJswish - 31 August 2016 12:25 PM

I can always fly into San Fran and then if the car thing falls through, get a last minute flight or bus to Vancouver and buy a car there.

This!

How long are you planning on being in BC with a car purchased in the states TJ?

If you’re going to be here on a temporary resident visa ( living and working here in BC) then i think you might end up needing to transfer the rego and insurance from Cali to BC. I’ve got a feeling you might have 30days to do the swap because you’re not allowed to be a BC resident and have a vehicle licensed in another country. Depends what sort of story you spin.
Had a friend who was here for 6 months, bought a ute in Seattle and had to get it registered in BC when he imported it. So there’s a chance you may get some questions about it at the border, worth doing a little research.

Yeah there was mentions about importing, extra taxes and possibly arrest in my research from after I posted this. Unfortunately I’m flying to Van and buying a car there now. (Unfortunately cause I still haven’t been to San Fran or Portland and I have been to Van City about 5 times…)