The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

ADVICE? Flow Fuse 2016 bindings

Hi all!

Names Troy. loving the forums here, been reading quite a number of topics! never knew this existed!

now to my question, i have currently Burton Custom bindings. nothing wrong with them except i find them cumbersome to strap in since the ratchets are slightly warn now. i have a DC Devun Walsh board.

i love the idea of Fuse Flow bindings, but wanted some advice if anyone has used them? (fusion strap)

Welcome to Boardworld, @TDUBS! shaka

My honest advice is to avoid Flow bindings. It’s not that they are bad, but there are a lot of better bindings on the market. I’ve participated in Flow product testing in the past and I just don’t rate them as highly as conventional strap bindings. They don’t fit as well, they don’t feel as good, and they are even more annoying (my opinion) to strap/click/pull/whatever into. Most importantly, you’re not going to get the same feel and performance as a good pair of conventional bindings.

Realistically, the bindings need to be fully cleared of snow (as do conventional, but it’s easier with conventional as there is no permanent “covering”), you need to kick/jam your feet into the bindings (which can be difficult in certain terrain), then lift the lever which squishes your boot into the binding even further. You’re going to get OK fit at best. You’re never going to get the same fit as with conventional straps. I have known some people who swear by Flow. Personally, I would never buy them.

Burton Customs are pretty low-end in the grand scheme of things, and you’ve already said the ratchets are fairly worn. You’re not going to have those issues with newer/more high-end bindings.

I’m happy to give you some other suggestions if you want to consider all your options? Just let me know.

I agree, watching my mates aggressively line dance kick their way into their flows at the top of each lift amuses me greatly. And dont get me started on the problems they cause when your stuck dick deep in pow!!!!

Bollocks bollocks bollocks!

Get yourself a set of Flow’s and you’ll never look back (Fuse or better)

Flows, and for that matter most rear entry bindings, have copped a lot of flak over the years from traditionalists (particularly when they were new and the technology had plenty of teething issues) which has stuck.

But they’ve been a very refined product for years now.

I’d always ridden conventional bindings and like you, was intrigued with Flows. I went into stores asking for them and heard all the criticism you see above, but you’ll notice anyone who has them loves them, so I decided to find out for myself (bought Fuse). Such a good decision - without a doubt.

The comments you get about them being impossible to get into in deep pow are utter nonsense. They are DUAL-ENTRY bindings, meaning you can get into them through the rear, or the side as you would with conventional bindings.

So in deep pow, you get in via conventional entry (leave the high-back up, unclip the foot straps and then strap in as you normally would).

This only happens a handful of times. But if you’re getting off some lift at a resort that is never the case. So 99% of the time you’ll get in via rear entry.

If you can’t step-in quick and efficiently (eg the comment above about watching people dance about trying to get in) you’ve got them set-up wrong. I’ll admit it took me a bit to get them setup just right, but once you’ve got them dialled in they are superb and you should be able to get in very simply and quickly.

In short, there is nothing you can do in conventional bindings that you can’t do in Flows. But you can do stuff with Flows that you can’t with conventional bindings (eg, get in super quick from the rear).

Given this is an Australian forum - honestly there’s nothing better. The runs are so short that any time saved is golden and here, where you’re in and out all the time Flow’s easily pay you back.

Honestly, you get off the lift, step in and go - done. So much better than trying to find somewhere to stand/sit around like everyone else and then stuff around strapping up every time all day long….

All the comment about them “not fitting well” etc are just utter biased garbage.

Go with the Fusion strap - it gives a super snug and comfy fit. No more ultra tight straps across your foot/toes. This is probably the thing people struggle with, as they’re used to strapping in ultra tight into conventional bindings, whereas with flows you just get them snug (this doesn’t mean they’ll move on you - they’ll stay right where they are no matter what jump you hit). But it does mean you can go all day and not have your feet kill you.

Ktron - 18 January 2017 04:36 PM

All the comment about them “not fitting well” etc are just utter biased garbage.

Welcome to Boardworld, @Ktron!

While I respect your opinion, I’ll have to reply to this statement.

My opinion isn’t biased; it’s based on product testing which I have done personally, and not that long ago either. I am highly critical of bindings because I know what I like, what feels good, based on board feel, performance, comfort etc. I have tested a large number of bindings from numerous brands over the years. Granted, this is only my opinion, but it is based on experience. I wouldn’t have commented otherwise.

I was invited by Flow to test their entire range bindings over two days. I took them up on this offer and went into it with an open mind, as I always do. I’m not saying the bindings are useless. They worked OK, felt OK, and did their job. However, compared to other bindings I rate highly, there’s no way I can honestly say they fit as well, felt as good etc. How can they? The strap is in a pre-determined position, and the boot literally needs to be jammed in. You’ll never get the same level of micro-adjustment once your boot is in place. Also, look at the size of the “strap” that sits on top of the boot. How are you expected to get the same level of ankle mobility compared to a conventional binding? I don’t have that answer. I’m not questioning the convenience of the system in certain situations.

It’s great to hear your opinion on Flow bindings, and I’m stoked they are working for you. I’m sure there are many others that would agree with you. I guess it also depends on how much you value convenience over performance and comfort. Based on my experience, there are better options out there. But that’s just my opinion.

The time advantage argument is a load of shite!!!!!

Seriously, do you get in more runs than your mates cause you have Flows on?????