The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Asymmetrical Side Cut or Not

What are your guys thoughts on the Asymmetrical Side Cut boards?

Is it a given or is it choice?

What are the Pros & Cons?

Hey @Caboose,

Good to see you on the forums! How have you been?

Overall, I’m a fan of asymmetrical shapes, but not all asyms are created equal.

Speaking generally about the shape/concept alone, there are noticeable benefits for aggressive turning and carving in particular. The tighter heel sidecut makes the turns/carves tighter, and in my experience, less chattery when carving. The reason I feel the chatter is minimised is because the tighter heel sidecut is better suited to our stance and anatomy; your heels are closer together than your toes (in a snowboard stance), so surely tightening up the heel sidecut is a better match.

Then you have asymmetrical flexes, which can further enhance the performance of the asym shape. But this is where it gets interesting. GNU for example, makes the toeside edge stiffer—which I don’t really understand; to me, this isn’t balanced. On the other hand, YES has stiffened up the heelside edge on the 2017 YES Greats—which I love. I have tested the 2017 Greats and it’s the most balanced asym I’ve ever ridden. To be honest, it’s one of the best boards I’ve ever ridden. The combination of the asym shape and carbon through the heelside makes it a winner in my books; agile, aggressive, energetic, balanced and precise. Carves like a dream.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Rider,

Doing ok and yourself?

Sorry I haven’t been around much - not enough time in the day etc

Looking at the Neversumer Proto Type II

I have been looking at the Proto HD for a couple of years and thought the rocker camber profile looks fun and looks like a solid board.

Now they have the new Proto Type II with Asym side cut

http://www.neversummer.com/snowboards/type-two

looks kinda groovey

Yo Rider

Flux bindings

What would you recommend for all mountain riding - something on the stiffer side, but not super stiff

if you know what I mean

Hey mate,

I’m doing well, thank you. Living in Whistler at the moment.

It looks like a good board—should be fun! It doesn’t look like they do an asymmetrical flex which keeps things simple. I’m not a fan of that particular hybrid camber profile, but that’s just my personal preference; I prefer camber between the feet. If you’re stoked on it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy riding it. Asym sidecuts are worth trying at least. There are benefits for sure but it’s not a “must have”.

For Flux bindings, I’d recommend the Flux SF… nice and responsive without being overly so. @Mizu Kuma swears by these. Just a really good, solid binding. If you want something a bit softer, the DS would be my pick.

Thanks for the info mate!!

I’ve only tried asym sidecut on the old YES Greats and Tasman (essentially the same) board when they were still made in Nidecker. I hated it. Not sure if it’s the difference between the toeside and the heelside (it was a 1 meter difference if I remember right) or if the heelside radius is just too tight. Makes turning really weird. I think if they would’ve mellowed up the asym differences or not make the sidecut too tight I would’ve liked it.

skip11 - 29 July 2016 02:15 AM

I’ve only tried asym sidecut on the old YES Greats and Tasman (essentially the same) board when they were still made in Nidecker. I hated it. Not sure if it’s the difference between the toeside and the heelside (it was a 1 meter difference if I remember right) or if the heelside radius is just too tight. Makes turning really weird. I think if they would’ve mellowed up the asym differences or not make the sidecut too tight I would’ve liked it.

To be fair, that’s a completely different board (and I have witnessed your riding improve considerably since then)! The Greats now has a different mould, built in a different factory… it’s quite simply a different board. The Greats was retooled from scratch when they moved to the SWS factory, and the shape has been refined—even as recent as last season. I’d recommend giving the new Greats a go if you get a chance. It absolutely rips! The sidecut feels perfect to me, and I’m a huge fan of the asym flex—which, in my opinion, makes it even more balanced. If I had to buy one board to ride all season, this would honestly be it.

To be honest, wasn’t a fan of YES boards when they were made in Nidecker and that weird serrated edge thing. Buddy got one and it’s a nightmare to sharpen haha. I think I would’ve liked the current Greats. Do you know the sidecut radius for the board? I looked at their website and couldn’t find it. I really wanna try their 420 PH and the new PYL.