The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

Phedder - 08 March 2016 09:58 PM

The required amount is $2500CAD + either a return ticket or proof of extra funds to purchase a ticket, along with travel insurance for the duration of your stay. It’s a 2 year visa, but if you only get 6 months insurance they’re within their rights to only issue you a 6 month visa, and there’s no way to extend it if that happens either. That’s your one shot at IEC done in 6 months. I’m aiming to have closer to $10k NZD saved as I’ll be working back to back seasons so need some money to get by while being an unemployed tourist between seasons hah.

Thanks for the info! So it’s definitely worth getting travel insurance for how long you wanna stay, otherwise your trip cannot be extended? That’s good to know. Oh wow so are you planning to go for the winter and summer seasons? That’s awesome smile

Thepowpow - 12 March 2016 03:54 PM

If you want a job with WB check online before you come and try to have the job before you come over. Staff accom. fills up very quick. For example the start of the season this year for glacier staff housing had a 200 long waiting list. People couldn’t afford to stay not living in staff accom. and just had to leave whistler altogether.

It’s one month before the job fair that the applications are available online, is that right? I was under the impression that you can’t get a job unless you go to the fair first. Or do you mean look for other employment as well eg Starbucks?
In terms of staff accom, if I was to go to the job fair and get a job, what is the likelihood of being able to get into staff accom? That’s kind of what I’m aiming for, as I’ve heard alternative houseing is much more expensive

I thought for anyone interested that I’d update on my process, I applied to the cic website and am in the ‘pool’ of applicants. So in the meantime I’ve applied for my police check and have been emailed that they’ll be posting it out today. And I’ve also done my traffic report history(something apparently only qld and Vic have to do!).

So at this stage I’m just waiting on hearing back from cic. Looking into travel insurance prices, will be able to get a slight discount since my dad works in insurance LOL

Now we wait!

readyforsomesnow - 17 March 2016 12:08 PM
Phedder - 08 March 2016 09:58 PM

The required amount is $2500CAD + either a return ticket or proof of extra funds to purchase a ticket, along with travel insurance for the duration of your stay. It’s a 2 year visa, but if you only get 6 months insurance they’re within their rights to only issue you a 6 month visa, and there’s no way to extend it if that happens either. That’s your one shot at IEC done in 6 months. I’m aiming to have closer to $10k NZD saved as I’ll be working back to back seasons so need some money to get by while being an unemployed tourist between seasons hah.

Thanks for the info! So it’s definitely worth getting travel insurance for how long you wanna stay, otherwise your trip cannot be extended? That’s good to know. Oh wow so are you planning to go for the winter and summer seasons? That’s awesome smile

Yeah once the visa is issued it can’t be extended even if you get more travel insurance to cover you. So if you initially only had 6 months insurance and they checked it at the border and issue you with a 6 month visa, then you decide you want to stay later, you can’t just extend your insurance and ask them to extend your visa, it won’t happen.

No summers for me, done enough of them haha. I mean back to back winters, NZ -> CAN -> NZ and then uncertain if I’ll go back to Canada for a 2nd season, really depends on funds which is why I’m saving as much as possible now and going to fork out for 2 years of insurance…

Oh, and also to add CIC said they won’t be sending out any more invites until April so they can process all the ones currently out there. So don’t get your hopes up for the next 2 weeks, no need to check your account every day hah.

@Phedder

Yeah once the visa is issued it can’t be extended even if you get more travel insurance to cover you. So if you initially only had 6 months insurance and they checked it at the border and issue you with a 6 month visa, then you decide you want to stay later, you can’t just extend your insurance and ask them to extend your visa, it won’t happen.

No summers for me, done enough of them haha. I mean back to back winters, NZ -> CAN -> NZ and then uncertain if I’ll go back to Canada for a 2nd season, really depends on funds which is why I’m saving as much as possible now and going to fork out for 2 years of insurance…

Oh, and also to add CIC said they won’t be sending out any more invites until April so they can process all the ones currently out there. So don’t get your hopes up for the next 2 weeks, no need to check your account every day hah.

That makes sense. I’ll have to decide how long to get travel insurance for then, I’m thinking of a year just in case I wanna stay longer. I guess it’s better to have the option rather than not having enough and having to come back too soon.

Oh that sounds awesome! Good to switch between the two and see which place you like most. I’ve also heard Japan is really awesome in winter!

Thanks for letting me know, I’ll chill for two weeks and then start stalking cic haha

An update for anyone interested, I got a message from cic today with my invitation to apply nutjob dance
Super excited!
Don’t have time to fill it all out for a few days though so it will have to wait. But I believe it’s 10 days to accept and then 14 days to get it all together?
Can’t wait for October! rocker

That’s awesome news! Congrats! shaka

Here’s my update
I got my permanent residency on Sunday after nearly 2 years worth of paperwork, fees and waiting.

Time to buy a truck and a sled!

Backdoor - 07 April 2016 05:23 AM

Here’s my update
I got my permanent residency on Sunday after nearly 2 years worth of paperwork, fees and waiting.

Time to buy a truck and a sled!

Great news, @Backdoor! Stoked for you. I’ll be heading down the residency route very soon myself. Hopefully it won’t take two years. wink

It shouldn’t take you that long hopefully.
I applied about 6 months before the new Express Entry system was introduced. I think CIC must have put all of their staff to work on that system once it was introduced and only left a skeleton staff processing old applications.
Had friends apply after me through express entry and get their PR before me.
Provided you’re a good candidate it could take less than 6 months through Express Entry. Good luck!

We spoke to an immigration lawyer here in Whistler a couple of months ago (Jenny Perez - highly recommended), and it looks like it will be pretty straight forward for us. I’m going through the “applying from outside Canada” route (although I will actually be in Canada), which is a faster process and more flexibility in terms of travel. I am only able to do it this way as I don’t rely on working in Canada, as my job is technically in Australia even though I am in Canada (confusing haha). But it also means I can’t work in Canada throughout the process, which is fine with me. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

rider26 - 06 April 2016 03:37 AM

That’s awesome news! Congrats! shaka

@rider26 thanks! I’m beyond stoked cool smirk

another quick question for you, when would you say is the best time to book flights and travel insurance? I know the job fair is usually mid-late oct but it’d be nice to have a more solid date so I know exactly when to come

@rider26 @Backdoor

wow how exciting for you guys!! you both must definitely be hooked on Canada! Can’t wait to see what all the fuss is about shock LOL

@readyforsomesnow, it doesn’t look like they have a confirmed date just yet, but I think early/mid October would be the best time to try to arrive. I am guessing it will be the last weekend in October or the first weekend in November (I believe this is typically when it’s on). You can always use that extra time to get sorted: bank account, SIN, phone plan, shopping for household goods etc.

My advice would be to book your flights earlier rather than later. I would also advise to choose your travel dates based on the flight deals you can find (there’s always days cheaper than others). Be flexible, and get the best deal. My wife does most of our bookings and she watches the flight prices closely. She always says the earlier you book the better, as prices tend to go up as availablity goes down. That said, use a site like http://www.kayak.com and keep an eye on the flights and whether the prices are going up or down. There’s usually some really good deals if you are flexible with your travel dates and route. We just got a great deal on a return flight to Australia next month (we are going to Australia for 6 weeks).

You can definitely get in touch with WB Employment and see if they can give you a more accurate date.

Phone:
1-604-938-7557

Email:
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

OK, so I just called them for you to find out.

They don’t have a confirmed date yet, and probably won’t until the end of summer.

However, they did confirm that it will almost certainly be right at the end of October or start of November. As I said earlier, I would count on last weekend in October or first weekend in November.

They also said if you arrive in mid October that should be safe for sure.

So I would go on my advice in the post above. Be flexible and book your date based on the best flight deal. Just keep in mind you want to leave yourself a bit of time before the job fair to get some things sorted. Also, make sure you are prepared with printed resumes etc.

Let me know if you have any further questions.