The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

@rider26 very true!! Thanks, that’s awesome smile

Ok so I have a question for you guys, I got offered a housekeeping job at four seasons, not the greatest job on the planet, but then I guess all the jobs here have pros and cons. Anyways it is a good rate, $16ish per hour. But they’re out of staff accom ;/ they said I can be put on a wait list incase a spot opens up.

So my question is, should I still go to the job fairs tomorrow for the fairmont and whistler blackcomb? I know the job offerings will be quite similar, but is the staff accom which makes it worthwhile. However,, someone at the job fair today said that blackcomb is apparently already booked out for its staff accom??? Is that true? Any word on fairmont and their accom? I’m just trying to decide whether to stick with the four seasons offer, or whether to still go to the other fairs? Especially since it’s said that accom is harder to find than jobs ?

Thoughts, tips, advice,  would be appreciated!!

readyforsomesnow - 28 October 2016 12:51 PM

So my question is, should I still go to the job fairs tomorrow for the fairmont and whistler blackcomb?

Short answer, yes!

Right now you need to keep ALL your options open. Go to the job fair for sure! There is often a wait list for staff accom, but I think things free up eventually, and they generally give preference to first-year staff. If you can get a job with WB, that would be my pick, and go on the staff housing wait list ASAP. My opinion: no point working at a hotel if they can’t offer you staff housing. You’d be sacrificing a lift pass and a bed.

Best of luck. ?

@rider26

Ok sweet I’ll definitely head to the fair tomorrow then. Do you know as well, someone said for the walk in fair they added more jobs? Or are the walk in positions still the basic ones:

Childcare Worker
Snow School Support
Ski Instructors
Cooks
Boot fitters

Also, would the boot fitter position be a full time opportunity?

Is it worth going to the fairmont hotel job fair as well, maybe after the black comb one? In their ad it does say colleague housing possibilities offered for successful candidates, as well as hotel discounts and a ‘medical package’. I’m really just trying to find staff accom if possible, I thought that around the job fairs they’d still have availabilities, cannot believe they’re all already taken. Would you say if I got offered the bootfitter position with black comb that that would be a better opportunity to take rather than four seasons? And if it is, would I just have to call four seasons and cancel? I feel bad because I did sign something, but the fact that their staff accom is all gone is a pretty big deal ? Sorry for the essay, I’m just rly trying to get the job and accom sorted out!

Thanks again!!

I saw in the latest pique mag, it says we’”” be accepting walk in applicants for a number of paid and volunteer roles within the following areas: and they’ve got extra things that weren’t on offer before, like retail, food and bev, guest services etc.
is it best to just turn up and chat to them with a few jobs in mind and then see what they recommend most for me specifically?

A girl that I spoke with earlier said that she’d heard there’s like 200 people already in the waiting list for staffies with WB ?

hohmann - 26 October 2016 08:21 PM
coast2coast - 25 October 2016 03:28 PM
rider26 - 25 October 2016 02:20 PM

@coast2coast, do you have any details about this “meet and greet”?

If that’s all it is, I woudln’t worry too much. There will be countless opportunities to meet people. Come to a Boardworld dinner.

It sounds like you already have the job, right? In which case, definitely don’t worry about missing it.

They said it was to meet supervisors and get information about training, it didn’t say it was mandatory but it seemed like it was implied, I just hope they aren’t upset I can’t make it. Yeah I have a full time job with them and am staying in House so hoping that’s the case, thanks a bunch!

Employee Experience pretty much emailed me saying it was all good if I missed it and that it was just a basic meet and greet. I fly out on the 4th so I won’t be going to it either.

Awesome, got the same email. Thank you and rider26.

No worries! ?

Can anyone tell me what the price difference is like in the board shops in Whistler compared to Vancouver ?

So I’ve ended up with three job offers! Thought I’d see what you guys think, ones for four seasons, one is fairmont, and one is retail in WB. I know everybody says WB is the best to work for but in terms of an actual job position I’m leaning towards the fairmont job. Just because I’ve previously worked retail back home and know how stressful it can be.

Can anyone actually list the perks and benefits from each company though?

I know both provide staff accom when avail. WB gives free ski pass and club shred. Fairmont I think let’s you use buses for free and I think free or discounted gym and food there, and I think a discounted ski pass? Does anyone have anymore info? I’m trying to decide today and just want to have all my facts straight!

Find out more specifics with the benefits from Fairmont if you can, they really look after their staff! The rentals/repair shop I’m with is based out of the Fairmont here in Banff, and although it’s not technically part of the Fairmont we still get awesome benefits (Their rent is like $3 a day cheaper and they get a $4 daily food allowance on the staff ID card)

Specifically find out about the staff food allowance, it’s ridiculous here in the cafe. There’s vending machines with fresh made meals in them for $2.50, Spag bol, pork stir fry, full roast pork set up, tilapia couscous and pumpkin, Chicken curry and vege etc. Legit full meals. Everything else, is free. Massive salad bar (Lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, broccoli, carrots, olives, today’s even had tuna and sliced boiled eggs in it.) Two free soups a day (yesterday had a chicken stew, today a chilli) full toasted sandwich station with bread and cheese etc, fries and gravy, lots of drink machines. Milk, chocolate milk(!!!) about 7-8 different fruit juices, automated coffee machine etc. It’s truly ridiculous, I’ve eaten there 5 times now and only paid for a $2.50 meal once because the soups or salad bar had enough meat/protein to keep me happy hah, and otherwise I’m making huge salads and my own poutine. Gotta balance the good and bad wink

My living expenses will pretty much stay under $200 a week for rent, power, internet, phone and food. I was only planning on one season but I’m starting to think there’s a good chance I’ll be back for the next one. What job specifically is it with Fairmont?

Has anyone here ever had issues getting their SIN number?  Or know of anyone who has had issues? Service Canada said mine wouldn’t validate and that they had to send it away to immigration to get soughted.

Everyone I know (and myself twice) have had no issues with the SIN. Sorry mate.

hohmann - 07 November 2016 07:54 AM

Has anyone here ever had issues getting their SIN number?  Or know of anyone who has had issues? Service Canada said mine wouldn’t validate and that they had to send it away to immigration to get soughted.

Sounds like a clerical error they will fix up. Did you get your work visa without issue?

Phedder - 03 November 2016 12:15 PM

Find out more specifics with the benefits from Fairmont if you can, they really look after their staff! The rentals/repair shop I’m with is based out of the Fairmont here in Banff, and although it’s not technically part of the Fairmont we still get awesome benefits (Their rent is like $3 a day cheaper and they get a $4 daily food allowance on the staff ID card)

Specifically find out about the staff food allowance, it’s ridiculous here in the cafe. There’s vending machines with fresh made meals in them for $2.50, Spag bol, pork stir fry, full roast pork set up, tilapia couscous and pumpkin, Chicken curry and vege etc. Legit full meals. Everything else, is free. Massive salad bar (Lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, broccoli, carrots, olives, today’s even had tuna and sliced boiled eggs in it.) Two free soups a day (yesterday had a chicken stew, today a chilli) full toasted sandwich station with bread and cheese etc, fries and gravy, lots of drink machines. Milk, chocolate milk(!!!) about 7-8 different fruit juices, automated coffee machine etc. It’s truly ridiculous, I’ve eaten there 5 times now and only paid for a $2.50 meal once because the soups or salad bar had enough meat/protein to keep me happy hah, and otherwise I’m making huge salads and my own poutine. Gotta balance the good and bad wink

My living expenses will pretty much stay under $200 a week for rent, power, internet, phone and food. I was only planning on one season but I’m starting to think there’s a good chance I’ll be back for the next one. What job specifically is it with Fairmont?

That’s awesome, @Phedder. Congrats on getting yourself sorted. It’s a solid feat given the current housing crisis in Whistler. You might even be able to save some money. wink

Who is coming to Mongolie Grill tonight?

Please RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/204723456635337/

If you’re not on the BW Whistler group please join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/boardworldwhistler/

I’m in Banff not Whistler so not sure how the Fairmonts compare, but yeah very stoked with this set up. Saving some dosh is the plan, after I’ve just spend a tonne once I realised how good our shop discount is haha. 2 New boards on the way…