The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2016/17

hohmann - 19 October 2016 10:20 AM

Has anyone here had any experience getting their second year over travel insurance through fast cover?

I asked them for a 24 month qoute and they said I would have to buy the first 12 months and then once that policy kicks in go online and purchase my 2nd year and download my updated certificate. Has anyone else done this? I’m just a little concerned because I will be out of time if I have to wait till the day I leave to organise the 2nd year.

I arrived a few years ago with only 12 months coverage and got a 24 month visa. It’s not a deal breaker. I don’t think it’s a huge issue you not having a full 2 years cover as you can take out another 12 months cover before the first plan you’ve purchased expires. Rarely do travel insurance companies offer 2 years of cover.
If immigration pull you up for not having the whole time you’re here, explain that you could only get 12 months and intend to get another 12 months cover in the future.
Before that point arrives you should be working and you’ll have BC medical cover right?

hohmann - 19 October 2016 01:06 PM

Did they still give you a 2 year visa?

yup still got the 2 year.

just pretend to be an expert if they do ask… coz it is a fact after 6months you can join BC health coverage and just let them know that if they do ask. I don’t think they even checked if i recall.

Just to add my experience of immigration. Got to Vancouver a few days ago on the IEC work permit.

I purchased my first year of travel insurance with Ouch a while ago. Then a few days before getting to Canada I purchased the second year of travel insurance with Ouch. Because there is a 14 day cooling off period, I can get a full refund on that second year, which will allow me some flexibility (and give me my hard earned money back). Then will just purchase a new policy next year when my current one is due to expire.

As far as my immigration experience went, the officer took nothing but my passport for review (didn’t ask for any proof of insurance, funds, or even the permit approval letter). No issues for me, I have the full 2 years of work permit ready to roll!

See you on the mountain! I’ll be up there tomorrow for the bar jobs fair… see how we go! Otherwise I’m waiting to hear about my application for next weekend’s fair.

Geez, I hope my immigration officer is as lax! I’m arriving to Vancouver next Sunday before heading over to Banff. Job and accommodation already sussed, but I’m only getting insurance until the end of June due to cost. I’d love the full 2 year work permit to give me the option of going back again next season, but if I only get issued a work permit until the end of June I’ll take it as a sign haha.

SnowMang - 22 October 2016 12:35 AM

Just to add my experience of immigration. Got to Vancouver a few days ago on the IEC work permit.

I purchased my first year of travel insurance with Ouch a while ago. Then a few days before getting to Canada I purchased the second year of travel insurance with Ouch. Because there is a 14 day cooling off period, I can get a full refund on that second year, which will allow me some flexibility (and give me my hard earned money back). Then will just purchase a new policy next year when my current one is due to expire.

As far as my immigration experience went, the officer took nothing but my passport for review (didn’t ask for any proof of insurance, funds, or even the permit approval letter). No issues for me, I have the full 2 years of work permit ready to roll!

See you on the mountain! I’ll be up there tomorrow for the bar jobs fair… see how we go! Otherwise I’m waiting to hear about my application for next weekend’s fair.

Nice idea with the cool off period, hopefully I can do the same with my 2nd year.

How long did it take you to get your SIN number? I’m trying to book an appointment with the bank to open an account and don’t know what time to book it for. I’ve only got the day in Vancouver and so much to do, so I’m trying not to waste any time.

Welcome to Boardworld, @hohmann!

It doesn’t take long to apply for your SIN.

Note: You can also apply in Squamish: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/tbsc-fsco/sc-dsp.jsp?rc=5825&lang=eng and in Whistler on certain dates: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/tbsc-fsco/sc-dsp.jsp?rc=BC-SBK&lang=eng

Just FYI, I have never had to show proof of travel insurance, nor have I known anyone who’s had to show proof of travel insurance in order to receive a two-year working visa. This is no guarantee, but I think you would have to be VERY unlucky for them to look into this (and it’s something you could probably explain quite easily). Make sure you can show you have significant funds, though.

rider26 - 23 October 2016 04:39 AM

Just FYI, I have never had to show proof of travel insurance, nor have I known anyone who’s had to show proof of travel insurance in order to receive a two-year working visa. This is no guarantee, but I think you would have to be VERY unlucky for them to look into this (and it’s something you could probably explain quite easily). Make sure you can show you have significant funds, though.

I’m really hoping that’s the case for me. I’m not taking out a longer policy because I really don’t know if I’ll go back, and none I find allow a long return visit home. Seems stupid to take out 23 months when I’ll possibly only use 7, and then the remainder becomes void anyone once I return home in June for the season here, which means I’d have to pony up again next October. I know about the Alberta Health Care system so I can try explain my way out with that, and I’ve also used my parents credit card to purchase season pass, flights, and insurance so I’ll be able to show $8k or so at the border, before transferring what I owe back to them. Flying out in 1 week today!

Anyone here already have some seasons working for WB under their belt? I fly/move in November 5th. Bought my flight months ago having been told repeatedly that November 7th would be the earliest start date, get an email today saying there’s a meet and greet November 4th that looks to be pretty informative and necessary for training. Too late to change my flights and everything, so hoping I won’t be missing much. Don’t know a single person in Whistler so pretty disappointed to be missing it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

@coast2coast, do you have any details about this “meet and greet”?

If that’s all it is, I woudln’t worry too much. There will be countless opportunities to meet people. Come to a Boardworld dinner.

It sounds like you already have the job, right? In which case, definitely don’t worry about missing it.

For those thinking they might need work, there are a lot of jobs being advertised in the Pique. Grab a copy as soon as you get here (there are free stands all over Whistler) and check out the jobs.

Here is a selection from this week’s paper.

rider26 - 25 October 2016 02:20 PM

If that’s all it is, I woudln’t worry too much. There will be countless opportunities to meet people. Come to a Boardworld dinner.

It sounds like you already have the job, right? In which case, definitely don’t worry about missing it.

They said it was to meet supervisors and get information about training, it didn’t say it was mandatory but it seemed like it was implied, I just hope they aren’t upset I can’t make it. Yeah I have a full time job with them and am staying in House so hoping that’s the case, thanks a bunch!

Thought I’d post an update? Been living in Vancouver since Sunday and have set up my phone, bank acc and SIN number. Headed to Whistler tomorrow! Now all that’s left to do is find an actual job ? I’m hoping to get something that provides staff accom since accom seems to be the hardest thing to find ?

I must say though, I’ve really been enjoying van, will be sad to leave it!

coast2coast - 25 October 2016 03:28 PM
rider26 - 25 October 2016 02:20 PM

They said it was to meet supervisors and get information about training, it didn’t say it was mandatory but it seemed like it was implied, I just hope they aren’t upset I can’t make it. Yeah I have a full time job with them and am staying in House so hoping that’s the case, thanks a bunch!

Employee Experience pretty much emailed me saying it was all good if I missed it and that it was just a basic meet and greet. I fly out on the 4th so I won’t be going to it either.

Another thing. I don’t think Service Canada is open weekends. So you might want to ask them if the SIN number is necessary before the start date.

readyforsomesnow - 26 October 2016 02:16 PM

I must say though, I’ve really been enjoying van, will be sad to leave it!

It’s always just a bus/car ride away. wink

My wife and I drive down to Vancouver fairly often. We usually offer seats for $10 each way.

Join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hitchingseatosky/