The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Working at Whistler 2015-2016 — Questions

TD1991 - 23 May 2016 07:31 PM

@rider26

Ok well that’s it!!

My flight has been booked and I will be arriving in Vancouver on Saturday 15th October. Will then look to arrive in Whistler around the 20th having sorted my SIN, Phone and Bank account in Vancouver.

Will book a hostel in Whistler and my preference was to try and get myself a job in a bar or restaurant as I have previous experience in these areas and would hope they give me some more time on the snow!
So the instant I arrive I’ll start giving resume’s to every place in town and try and find myself some season long accommodation SOMEHOW?!!

If nothing seems to be coming together I will try and get a job with the mountain and staff accommodation through the end of October Job Fair.

Hopefully this sounds like a reasonable plan, but if you have any other advice especially around accommodation (which I know is the biggest worry) then please don’t hesitate!!! As not finding any and having to go home early is a HUGE fear!

Thank you for all your help so far! See you in October!

That sounds like a good plan to me, @TD1991.

Definitely join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105948296221882/

When you get to Whistler, pick up a free Pique Magazine (there are stands all around Whistler). I think they come out every Friday and my suggestion is to call as many long term accommodation listings as soon as possible. Have your references together, put your best foot forward, and follow up as many opportunities as possible.

Also keep an eye on this page: http://classifieds.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/long-term-accommodations/search

Keep us posted on your plans.

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum, but just wanted to say thanks for the trove of information regarding Whistler. Best I’ve come across on the net so far! The sense of community here really brings it all together.

Add me to the list of inbound for the 2016/2017 season. I’ll be arriving in Van on the 12th of September and staying there for a week sorting out SIN/Bank Acc/Mobile stuff and then heading up to stay at the HI-Hostel in Whistler.

I know I’m getting in early, which I *think* is a good thing in terms of finding work and accommodation for the season but part me hopes that I’m not getting in too early.

I’ve currently booked a bed at the HI-Hostel from the 18th of September to the 10th of October (~3 weeks). I’m a bit concerned that, although I may be able to find work and accom, that I’ll be in some sort of limbo between the 10th of October and the start of a potential lease in November.

Is it likely that I’ll need to stay at the hostel longer from the 10th till the start of the lease? and if so do you think i should book now or see what happens and book while i’m there if I need to?

Anything else I may have missed?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hopefully seeing you all on the mountain!

It’s always great to be as early as possible but there won’t be much work during shoulder season and there is no biking or boarding.

So there won’t be much to do and it costs a lot to live in a resort town such as Whistler.

———————————————————————————————————————

Honestly if you’re getting there that early, I’d go to the first job fair (think is in September) then maybe get a bus to Seattle and Portland and check out some of the USA. Then be back for the second job fair in October if you need it and chill till the start of the season.

Or apply at a few other resorts around Canada too and check it all out with a road trip to Banff and back. Hiring a car for a week will likely cost what you’d be spending in food / entertainment in Whistler anyway.

Welcome to Boardworld, @Cod_! shaka

Honestly, I don’t think what you’re doing is a bad idea, unless you’re really strapped for cash. There are ways to live in and enjoy Whistler without spending too much money. Spend wisely and enjoy the transition from fall into winter—it’s a beautiful time of year.

If you’re hoping to find your own accommodation (as in not staff housing), then it’s a good thing you’re getting there early. I think this is a smart decision.

I wouldn’t book longer at the hostel right now, but keep in touch with them once you’re over there and extend as you need. I’m sure if you’re up front with them they will keep you in the loop as rooms/beds start filling up. I’d play it by ear.

Other than that it sounds like you’re well prepared and ready for a great season ahead. They are predicting La Niña for this winter which means cold temps and a lot of snow for Whistler (historically). The last two La Niña winters were epic! Keep us posted on your plans and we’ll see you over there! ?

TJswish - 27 May 2016 02:22 PM

It’s always great to be as early as possible but there won’t be much work during shoulder season and there is no biking or boarding.

So there won’t be much to do and it costs a lot to live in a resort town such as Whistler.

———————————————————————————————————————

Honestly if you’re getting there that early, I’d go to the first job fair (think is in September) then maybe get a bus to Seattle and Portland and check out some of the USA. Then be back for the second job fair in October if you need it and chill till the start of the season.

That’s sort of the plan. As I understand there’s a job fair in Van early September which I hope I can make, otherwise I think there is another in Whistler toward the end of September and then again in October.

I’ve done the west coast US before, but not Seattle or Portland. Is there much there I wouldn’t have experienced elsewhere? I am happy to vegetate and do sweet f### all in Whistler until if that means I can begin making connections before the season starts

TJswish - 27 May 2016 02:22 PM

Or apply at a few other resorts around Canada too and check it all out with a road trip to Banff and back. Hiring a car for a week will likely cost what you’d be spending in food / entertainment in Whistler anyway.

I’ve got my mind set on Whis so I’m not too interested in applying to other resorts, however I hadn’t thought of a road trip, which sounds fun. Thanks!

rider26 - 27 May 2016 05:44 PM

Honestly, I don’t think what you’re doing is a bad idea, unless you’re really strapped for cash. There are ways to live in and enjoy Whistler without spending too much money. Spend wisely and enjoy the transition from fall into winter—it’s a beautiful time of year.

Sounds promising, I’m hoping I’ll have saved ~$30k AUD prior to leaving so I don’t think I’ll be too strapped for cash

If you’re hoping to find your own accommodation (as in not staff housing), then it’s a good thing you’re getting there early. I think this is a smart decision.

I’ve heard conflicting reports of staff accommodation and that it can be rather hit and miss. I must say the subsidised rent is attractive, but I would prefer private accom in a share house for a couple hundred a month more. I’m thinking if I land a mountain job early, i’ll opt for staff accom and then start looking for private accom and apply if the price is right, then freeing up my staff accom for someone else. Do you have any experience or opinions on one over the other?

Other than that it sounds like you’re well prepared and ready for a great season ahead. They are predicting La Niña for this winter which means cold temps and a lot of snow for Whistler (historically). The last two La Niña winters were epic! Keep us posted on your plans and we’ll see you over there! ?

Thanks heaps! I was in Whis for a week over Christmas in 2014 and if it the conditions are even better than that, my head may explode.

Is anyone here planning on being in town as early as September?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what travel insurance people coming over from Aus have used heading up to Whistler. Currently looking at Travel Insurance Direct

Cheers !!

Hi all

Firstly, I am not from Australia, but I will be using True Traveller for my insurance provider!

Hope everyone is doing good!

I’ve seen that Whistler have now announced the dates for the jobs fairs:

Bar Fair - Oct 22nd
More information to follow closer to date.

Fall Fair - October 28th & 29th
Applications open online at the end of September

I was just wondering if people had experience of the fairs and how’s best to approach them.

- Should I be in/have permanent accommodation in place before attending the fairs in order to be able to get a job. Or is it expected/fine to arrive at the fairs when living in a hostel?

- I assume I need to take a stack of resume’s but is there anything else I should take along?

- Finally, sounds stupid but what sort of dress code is expected?

Literally no idea what to expect and thought its ok to air my stupid questions to you guys in a hope that someone has been or others have the same queries!

Thanks

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could help with my query on the jobs fair above?

Also, I have been looking into working at the two major hotels (Four Seasons and Fairmont) as it seems they could provide a way of having a job and accommodation (even if I jus use this as my back-up) before I arrive in Whistler.

I just wondered if any of you guys had an opinion on or experience working for one of these companies?
Realistically I would like a job which allows me the maximum free time on the mountain, and a place to live with a good social vibe.
Would working for one of these hotels be able to provide this?

Any thoughts are welcomed!

Thanks

Tom

Hey @TD1991,

You don’t need to have permanent accommodation at this point (for the job fairs). For example, you might move into staff accommodation after you’re offered a job, as is often the case. Just make sure you have somewhere to stay for your own comfort and security.

Try to have all your documentation in order: resume, bank account details, police check (if required), work visa etc.

Dress smart but casual. Don’t rock up looking like a bum. Shave (unless you already have a beard). Wear jeans and a nice/casual shirt or t-shirt. You definitely don’t need to dress up but make sure you present yourself well.

From what I’ve heard, working in the hotels isn’t the best job, but if job security is what you’re after, it’s a viable option for sure. Staff accommodation there tends to be a squeeze as well. @PosiJohn, can you give any feedback based on your experience?

My honest advice is to work for Whistler Blackcomb if you can. It will give you the most benefits, options, and social opportunities as you get started in Whistler.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

@rider26

Thanks once again for the really helpful reply bro!

I agree with everything you said, I’m definitely going o try and get a job at the bar or fall job fairs. But will see if perhaps a hotel will give me a job before I fly and that can be my backup if working for the mountain doesn’t happen for me.

Cheers

Tom

Hey,

So last year(2014/15) I worked at the Four Seasons. It was a pretty horrible experience in all honesty. I arranged the job before I left the UK thinking it wouldn’t be that bad, but it was. The only real saving graces were the people and the staff accommodation being affordable. I paid $400 a month to share a room with two others. The commute to work and the mountains made it bearable, but the job was shit and you get treated in the same way.

I have however heard really good things about the Fairmont. If you we’re going to work for a hotel, I would recommend them over the four seasons easily.

As Jeremy said though, your best bet would be WB, purely based on accommodation. It’s definitely not the easiest place to find a home in for winter.

@PosiJohn

Hey man

Thank a lot for the reply!
Definitely going to keep that in mind, the hotel route was me just trying to have something (accommodation secured) before I head out there cos I’ve heard all the horror stories of people leaving after a month with nowhere to crash.

Thanks again man, I’ll be aiming for the Fairmont then!! But hopefully can get myself some form of WB job and place to stay at the fairs in October.

Really appreciate it.

Tom

Hey Guys,

Has anyone had experience using “Ride On” for accommodation over the season ?

Cheers

Sounds good if you got the cash… But I only made about $8000 total working as a lifty in Fernie…

Hey @Matt629,

I am familiar with them. I know they are legit. However, @TJswish is right in that they are quite expensive. You do get the security of a guaranteed place to stay, though, and that can be quite valuable. Is there anything specific you want to know?