The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

@kerrodp Thanks for the click frenzy info. That was the other thing I actually wanted to ask you and @TJswish about. Is insurance best to get early? How much roughly for a season would be ok and are there are companies that are recommended?

Thanks in advance

@Quincy, you don’t really need to book insurance until just before you leave. Just make sure the policy date starts from the day of your departure. Be careful and read the PDS in detail before making your decision. Some are cheaper but they don’t cover snowboarding, even in the resort. Most recently, I used http://www.goinsurance.com.au/ with the additional on-snow coverage. I found them to be fairly good value for a solid policy. Shop around but just be aware of the policies and what they cover and don’t cover.

You can also use https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/ to get an idea of what’s available.

FastCover had everything I needed (off piste, cat skiing etc) but was a bit more pricey. Think I paid 850ish for Mid November till Early Mid May.

Definitely read the PDS and make sure that it suits your trip. You definitely want to be covered if you get a heli or ambo off the hill cause it’s North America and they will charge you $500 for a band-aid…

@TJswish, that’s not bad at all for off-piste coverage!

Must be with a guide or what? Surely they don’t just cover all backcountry snowboarding with or without a guide? I’m curious.

Off Piste counts as tree runs etc too. On piste is only marked runs in the resort.

Back Country was only with a guide.

has anyone flown with Air Canada at all?
last date of their flight sale so looking at booking with them.

kerrodp - 28 August 2017 11:14 AM

has anyone flown with Air Canada at all?
last date of their flight sale so looking at booking with them.

Flew Sydney to Vancouver in March 15. Had no issues with them. Nice aircraft. Food ok. Service decent. On time and didn’t lose my stuff. I’d fly with them again.

@geniass
cheers mate, all booked in, so keen!

50 days till I’m out of here haha, looking at the banks in Canada. I was going to go tangerine being fee free and all but apparently the don’t do international money transfers or accept them ???? Anyone used them before? So scotiabank is probably looking like the next best option

Or do you use transferwise to transfer to the tangerine bank account? I

With all the hassles I had with Scotiabank trying to close my account, them giving me fees for no reasons and just being pretty un-helpful in general I’d probably recommend going elsewhere.

Another option would be to open up an account to then transfer to the tangerine and then close it. If it costs you like $4 for a month then you close it, it’s probably better than the $12 a month for unlimited transfers I was paying.

Otherwise I’ve heard good things about RBC and TD for actual brick and mortar banks.

P.S. can’t see why Tangerine wouldn’t accept a transferwise transfer.

Thanks TJ might stick with tangerine then. Their fee free banking sounds pretty good and you get free access to scotia ATMs

Same as ING Direct in Australia. If anyone is considering jumping ship to a new bank here, I’d highly reccommend and I have referral links to get us both like $50.

If you use Transferwise, use my referral link too as I need 1 more person to get the bonus haha.

Yeah I will second the ING in aus awesome bank, that’s why i was checking out Tangerine.