The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

moosy - 19 May 2016 12:06 PM

Hey guys, I’ve always dreamed of working at whistler and only just started looking around for info. I’d been thinking of going with the WHC but saw this thread with all this amazing info. So just had a few questions…

1. Is it to late to start looking for jobs working with WB and have there job fairs finished for this coming winter?

2. Is it possible to work a couple of months then head home, I’m just concerned about my job at home?

3. How much savings would guys recommend having before heading over?

Welcome to Boardworld, @moosy! shaka

To answer your questions…

1. No, the Job Fair isn’t until late October / early November. Keep an eye on this page (and read all the main pages linked here): http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment

2. It’s possible, but most employers don’t appreciate it, therefore reducing your chances at the job. It also depends on the line of work and when you’re intending to leave. When do you think you would need to leave?

3. Approximately $4000 CAD, and I believe this is what you need to show for your visa to be approved at the port of entry.

Welcome to Boardworld, @moosy! shaka

To answer your questions…

1. No, the Job Fair isn’t until late October / early November. Keep an eye on this page (and read all the main pages linked here): http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment

2. It’s possible, but most employers don’t appreciate it, therefore reducing your chances at the job. It also depends on the line of work and when you’re intending to leave. When do you think you would need to leave?

3. Approximately $4000 CAD, and I believe this is what you need to show for your visa to be approved at the port of entry.

Thanks so much @rider26  v

Sweet will do, and that’s the jobs fair in Vancouver or up at Whistler?

But yeah that’s what I was thinking, but if I ever decide to head back it would mess up my chances of getting a job pretty badly…damn the decisions to be made haha

Hey @moosy,

The October/November Job Fair is in Whistler. I believe the Vancouver Job Fair is a bit earlier in the year, September if I remember correctly. You’re better off going to the Whistler Job Fair unless you’re going to be in Canada well before the season starts.

When would you need to head back home? How early are you thinking?

Awesome, well I was thinking end of Jan, so stay for chrissy and new years and then head home..

Don’t tell your employer and when you need to leave, tell them then and burn bridges. If you ever want to go back to Canada, check out a different resort. They are all pretty awesome.

Or go to another resort and save Whistler for a holiday or any future seasons you may do.

moosy - 22 May 2016 08:34 PM

Awesome, well I was thinking end of Jan, so stay for chrissy and new years and then head home..

Honestly, you might as well just come and not work. Spend wisely when you’re over here, ride as much as you can, then go home and work off any debt. wink

It’s a relatively short time to be living/working in Whistler, so it’s going to fly by. You’re going to want to ride every day… you might as well do that.

Just my opinion.

Hey legends,
Does anyone know if it’s possible to apply for jobs even if your IEC hasn’t been completed yet? Can you just pretend you have your work permit?
Or in a Skype interview will they ask for a code or something like that?

Welcome to Boardworld, @squidward1! shaka

Have you applied for your work visa yet?

I think it’s fine to apply for a job if you have a pending work visa application or if you’re intending to apply. They might ask this in an interview but I doubt it would go any further than that.

Where are you thinking of working? What are your plans?

rider26 - 19 June 2016 03:50 PM

Welcome to Boardworld, @squidward1! shaka

Have you applied for your work visa yet?

I think it’s fine to apply for a job if you have a pending work visa application or if you’re intending to apply. They might ask this in an interview but I doubt it would go any further than that.

Where are you thinking of working? What are your plans?

Cheers bud,
Yeah I have applied for it but it’s going to take a while I think.

Anywhere really, except Whistler. I’ve heard its full of Aussies which isn’t really what I’m after.

I was thinking of Panorama or Sun Peaks because I heard they do Skype interviews.
Getting a job before I head over feels more comfortable as it’s my first time.

Hey Squiddy,

Definitely apply and say you have a visa already. If you don’t end up getting approved but have a job just say you decided to stay in Australia with a GF or got a promotion and aren’t coming any more or some crap like that.

Honestly, all the resorts in BC and Alberta have a ton of Aussies. If you really want to avoid us you’ll have to go to a much smaller mountain like Apex, Manning Park, Castle or Red and even still there will be some. Whis is insanely Australian though. Fernie where I work is about 40% aus / 40% canadian and 20% other. They are part of the “Resorts of the Canadian Rockies” and you can apply by making a 3 minute video about yourself if you can’t make the job fair. This is similar for Kicking Horse as well.

Main resorts that you’d have to actually go to job fairs would be Whistler, Banff and Big White.

——————————-

Otherwise, what are you hoping to do? If it’s a common job like lifty then just apply everywhere and see what offers you get. Resorts always have a few people on a waiting list for when people drop. Falls Creek here in Victoria have already had like 6 lifties pull out and 9 retail staff!

Then ask yourself a few more questions:
1. Do you want to live in a town close to a mountain (Fernie - 10 mins, Kicking Horse - 15 mins, Whitewater - 25 mins) or do you want to live on the hill (Sun Peaks, Silverstar, Panorama) There are pros and cons to each (walk out your door to ride vs cheaper groceries and better housing deals etc)
2. Are you going to buy a car or be keen on road trips (Sun Peaks offered 50% off at like 10 resorts when I worked there, Fernie gives you free tickets to like 6 resorts, Whistler doesn’t do reciprocals but nobody gets one at Whis either…)
3. What type of riding do you want to do? Sun Peaks is a much flatter resort than Panorama or Fernie as it’s more isolated on hills. They groom most of the mountain each night but have a decent park. Panorama and Fernie are much steeper and have better terrain but don’t groom as much and the parks are not really good.
4. Do you want to ride powder or just have a consistent season. Sun Peaks on a good year has 8m snow but you wouldn’t tell since they groom so much. The positive to this is that there is rarely days that are just too bad to go out. Fernie on the other hand had a below average season with 9m this year, they average 11… But when it’s bad, it can be raining half way up the mountain since the base is quite low. To counter this, there is the Fernie effect where people will predict 5cm and end up with 25cm of freshies in the morning!

Ok enough rambling. You’ll have a blast no matter where you go and everyone has their own opinion. If you have any questions, fire away and we will try to help!

TJswish - 19 June 2016 11:12 PM

Hey Squiddy,

Definitely apply and say you have a visa already. If you don’t end up getting approved but have a job just say you decided to stay in Australia with a GF or got a promotion and aren’t coming any more or some crap like that.

Honestly, all the resorts in BC and Alberta have a ton of Aussies. If you really want to avoid us you’ll have to go to a much smaller mountain like Apex, Manning Park, Castle or Red and even still there will be some. Whis is insanely Australian though. Fernie where I work is about 40% aus / 40% canadian and 20% other. They are part of the “Resorts of the Canadian Rockies” and you can apply by making a 3 minute video about yourself if you can’t make the job fair. This is similar for Kicking Horse as well.

Main resorts that you’d have to actually go to job fairs would be Whistler, Banff and Big White.

——————————-

Otherwise, what are you hoping to do? If it’s a common job like lifty then just apply everywhere and see what offers you get. Resorts always have a few people on a waiting list for when people drop. Falls Creek here in Victoria have already had like 6 lifties pull out and 9 retail staff!

Then ask yourself a few more questions:
1. Do you want to live in a town close to a mountain (Fernie - 10 mins, Kicking Horse - 15 mins, Whitewater - 25 mins) or do you want to live on the hill (Sun Peaks, Silverstar, Panorama) There are pros and cons to each (walk out your door to ride vs cheaper groceries and better housing deals etc)
2. Are you going to buy a car or be keen on road trips (Sun Peaks offered 50% off at like 10 resorts when I worked there, Fernie gives you free tickets to like 6 resorts, Whistler doesn’t do reciprocals but nobody gets one at Whis either…)
3. What type of riding do you want to do? Sun Peaks is a much flatter resort than Panorama or Fernie as it’s more isolated on hills. They groom most of the mountain each night but have a decent park. Panorama and Fernie are much steeper and have better terrain but don’t groom as much and the parks are not really good.
4. Do you want to ride powder or just have a consistent season. Sun Peaks on a good year has 8m snow but you wouldn’t tell since they groom so much. The positive to this is that there is rarely days that are just too bad to go out. Fernie on the other hand had a below average season with 9m this year, they average 11… But when it’s bad, it can be raining half way up the mountain since the base is quite low. To counter this, there is the Fernie effect where people will predict 5cm and end up with 25cm of freshies in the morning!

Ok enough rambling. You’ll have a blast no matter where you go and everyone has their own opinion. If you have any questions, fire away and we will try to help!

Great reply thanks mate,

Yeah hoping to do anything really.. Lifty, retail, hospitality, housekeeping.. I don’t really care as long as I’m over there!

Probably not going to do the car thing, too much money me thinks.

Riding for me, pretty much anything! I’ve only ever boarded in Aus so any resort over there will seem great to me haha I do have someone coming with me who is a bit of a beginner so we will probably try to avoid any places that are too extreme!

When it comes to powder and consistent seasons and stuff, I am not really sure honestly, I have never ridden powder before and the hill in Aus I go to barely has a park at all so I don’t really have the experience to decide! Rain sounds horrible though tbh, I’d love to go somewhere where the snow is dry just to experience and enjoy that.

Good reply. Honestly I’d be looking at places like Sun Peaks, Silverstar, Big White or Banff with your response. These resorts cater more towards beginners and are high enough that they will not really see any rain. They also have some harder runs for when you eventually get good enough to ride them. When you do get quite good, try to go road tripping to Revelstoke as it’s spectacular but if you worked there your beginner friend (and likely yourself) would struggle.

Having a car helps but is not necessary at any of these resorts. Just join the locals facebook page and post up when you want a lift etc.

Thanks for the help guys, great info.
I’ll look into it smile

Hey guys, spending one night in Vancouver so we can get SIN, bank account, and phones sorted. Any recommendations for a cheap but decent backpackers near the airport? I’ll be with two other mates, both blokes.
Cheers!

Samesun on Granville St is the staple for most ski bums. It’s decently located, cheap and not bad at all.

For you’re other questions, here is my post from page 1:

TJswish - 19 April 2015 12:10 AM

6. Arriving in Vancouver
Yes Vancouver is a major city. But it’s no New York or Los Angeles, so you don’t need to spend a week there to see all the sites. Remember that you’re likely on a budget so don’t go crazy shopping and touristing before you even get to your ski hill and start your job. You should have a hostel or hotel booked for when you arrive. Check your luggage in and start getting the important stuff done. I would commit about 4 days tops to see and do everything worthwhile in Vancouver and add 1 day for Vancouver Island and 1-2 day(s) to visit Whistler if you’re not working there.

a. Visa
Get off the plane and leave your bags at the luggage unload. Go straight to the Visa area and beat anyone that’s on your plane to that line. Most likely you just got off your Air Canada flight and arrived at 7am and are the first one there. If you wait for everyone else, you can get stuck in a queue. Your bags will be fine (often taking longer to get off the plane than your Visa takes anyway.

b. SIN Number
Once you’ve checked in, the most important thing is your SIN Number. It’s the same as a social security number in the USA and is required for work, bank account and a few other things. Remember to take a picture and send it to yourself in an email so you have a copy. The closest downtown Vancouver location is here: https://goo.gl/maps/kpwAt

c. Change your money into Canadian dollars.
Never do this at the airport as you’re throwing away about 5-10c per dollar. When you are swapping a few hundred, this adds up. On Granville St in downtown Vancouver is Charlies Currency Exchange which has really good rates. As always, carrying a lot of money on you is a risk (especially walking in and out of currency exchanges) so be careful and keep an eye out for anyone looking less than legit.

d. Bank Account
Make an appointment to sign up for a bank account. You’d think you could just walk in and do it… but you can’t. So call up the bank of your choice and organise to speak with someone. The bank you should go with changes per resort. RBS or TD bank for Whistler (or Scotia if you’re living in Creekside). Sun Peaks doesn’t have a bank on the hill so any are fine. One massive positive for Scotiabank is that they are part of the international banking alliance which means you can withdraw in the USA at any Bank of America bank for free (after the exchange rate) They also have hockey team cards if you’re a fan of the NHL.

e. Phone / Plan
This only applies to mountains where you can get phone reception otherwise it’s pointless. Manning park for instance has 0 reception. The main carriers are Telus, Rogers and Bell. Telus is the one I went with due to decent sized data plan and good reception at Sun Peaks.

f. Transport
Either book a bus (Greyhound) or buy a car. The positives to having a vehicle are that you can drive to and from the hill if required, can do shopping runs when required and can do road trips to other mountains when you feel like it, not when someone else is going. The negatives are that people ask you for favours all the time, petrol / insurance is costly and if you have an accident it will cost you. (luckily there are no kangaroos to hit but deer can still ruin a car)
Make sure that you have winter tyres fitted or you will not do very well on snow or icy roads.